Paper Mill Aleworks

Cantillon Zwane Day 2012

Anyone else participate in the festivities?

Zwane is an alias for the Pinot D'Aunis, a fruity lambic (rhubarb this year) where only bottles are available at the Cantillon brewery in Belgium.
    They also send out a very limited number of kegs to a handful of bars around the world for the ceremonial Zwane tapping/toast, which takes place at 9PM (local Belgium) time.
    Only 16 bars in the U.S. received this wonderful treat.

Here is how we celebrated...

The bar we chose was Spuyten Duyvil in Brooklyn, even though Monk's in Philly was participating too, but a few resident NYC friends and I made a day of it.

After a great hipster brunch in Greenpoint, we headed back to a buddies place to start the fun. I had brought in a few requests to share.

We then made our way around the corner to Brouwerji Lane, and enjoyed some Hill Farmstead "Anna".

A sizable walk, and some cappuccino got us over to the Williamsburg area to enjoy a flight at Breukelen Bier Merchants. Which included some Evil Twin, Avery, Hoppin' Frog, and Great Divide.

Then off to Spuyten Duyvil for the 3PM EST tapping of Zwane...which was a total $h!t show. Spuyten Duyvil is not a huge place to begin with, then add this on top of it, but we got our Zwane and made the best of it.

Insanely sour, but beautifully done...I for one absolutely loved it.

After a jaunt across the street for some amazing BBQ at Fette Sau, we headed back to another buddies apartment for a highly enjoyable night cap.

Anyone else participate?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    oh man, I did not enjoy this year. i did go last year to the even at Stone Brewery. Looks like a fantastic day.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    Fantastic as usual.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Hi.
    Hell yes man, a day of epic beer + Zwanze. I didn't even fight crowds at The Trappist in Oakland to get some this year - not worth it in my book at that venue. I've never had it, but I've been lucky to get a bunch of Cantillon lately (Mamouche, Fou Foune, Lou Pepe, Iris, St. Lamvinus) so I wasn't about to go wait in line for 2 hours to get a taste. Luckily I didn't - they turned over 100 people away who had been waiting in line for it.

Heard things went better down at Toronado in SD.

Funny how Cantillon chooses Belgian-affiliated venues that rarely can handle the crowds. Crazy day guaranteed - I'm sure the warmup helped .

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I was at the San Diego Toronado...waiting in line for the noon pour.

Place was PACKED and I was about 20th in line.

There was a parade that day in the hood, and tons of people walking by asking "what's going on here", to which I replied."It's get a free Miller lite day!"

The keg blew in about 1/2 an hour. So glad I was able to get some. Interesting beer, but for all the hype around it, I felt a little let down.

They also had the kriek as well.

It wasn't me

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler View Post
    Interesting beer, but for all the hype around it, I felt a little let down.
    I've heard that a lot lately. I think Cantillon is great, but it's subtle and delicate and can be ruined easily depending on what you drink before it.

At this point, the hype machine has taken over and I don't even actively search it out. I'll enjoy it when it's shared, but it's not worth it's current $30+/bottle retail price point to me.

Beer Please!
    Last year I thought the Iris was a much better beer than the Zwanze, and I was able to sample both the 2010 and 2011 version of Zwanze. However, unless you are a big fan of Geueze in general you might not get too amped up about the beer.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Check the shirt! Ian owner of SD Toronado.

It wasn't me

Beer Please!
    what in the world is going on in that picture? lol