Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canned Micros

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Canned Micros

After finally trying Fat Tire in a can and now a Belgian White in a can I have decided that more micros should come in a can. In fact I think the reason I drink Schlitz and PBR is so I can have it in a can that and so I can use a coozie.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005
    Caldera IPA and the Oskar Blues beers in a can are good too. Also less bulky in the Camelbak and can be crushed and stowed when finished.

ride the moment
    I believe all the Caldera brews come in cans. We have an amber and a stout in addition to the IPA at our co-op.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    I love Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale and Gordon's. Mama's Little Yellow Pils is pretty good too. Dale's is great for after a ride or for a sunny afternoon session beer. The Gordon's is really something special IMO. Tastes like no other beer I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    all 12oz.'ers from Sly Fox come in a can.
    http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/beer_packaged

habitual line-stepper
    oskar blues also has an imperial stout, ten fidy (9.4% abv, 98 IBU's!!!), in cans that i'd like to try. its prolly just me, but i always get a metallic aftertaste with any microbrew in cans, be it fat tire, oskar, 21st amendment, etc.

mtbr member
    Fat Tire is a Microbrew

Ska Brewing, Durango, CO, has Modus Hopperandi - which is about the best I've had in a can. Dales PA is a close second, but now I am curious about the Gordon's.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    New England Brewing's Sea Hag IPA comes in a can and is pretty good...

pronounced may-duh
    Dales and Gordon were mentioned but don't forget the Old Chub. Old Chub is one of the best Scottish Ales I have had. It just happens to come in a can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Surly brewing out of Twin Cities area cans everything in 16oz cans so that you can pour a real pint every time. The slogan is "Beer from a can, for a glass". I love it.

Their Furious IPA is like...just...every time I drink it angels sing. Seriously.

I have no qualms drinking it out of a can at all

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sho220
    New England Brewing's Sea Hag IPA comes in a can and is pretty good...
    I just tried that the past month or so and it smelled awesome and seemed like the taste is there ...BUT.... the carbination was WAY OVER the top! I think it might have been a bad case because the store that I got it from had a few of the cans blow up from the carbination. Do you think it was bad or is it always crazy fizzy carbinated?

is buachail foighneach me
    old chub is awesome, but i rarely bring carbonated alcohol on a ride with me. whiskey lemonade in a water bottle is my drink of choice when imbibing mid ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Are beers really better in a can?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnie Shawn
    I just tried that the past month or so and it smelled awesome and seemed like the taste is there ...BUT.... the carbination was WAY OVER the top! I think it might have been a bad case because the store that I got it from had a few of the cans blow up from the carbination. Do you think it was bad or is it always crazy fizzy carbinated?
    I haven't had it in a while, but don't remember the carbonation being any different than pretty much any other IPA...must have been an off batch...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedirectory2
    I don't think it really makes a big difference. It's just that not many good beers are canned vice bottled. I'm sure if Stone/Dogfish Head/Troegs, etc, canned the same beers they bottled, they'd be just as good. The difference is that you'd be able to take canned beers to the beach (no glass allowed at most beaches). It would be easier to take camping, etc. The one big advantage to canned is that it protects the beer from getting light struck. Not sure if that's that big of an issue though...unless you store your beer out on your deck or something...

I think the biggest thing is convenience...

and perception...

is buachail foighneach me

I don't think anyone is claiming that. they're just claiming that it's much easier and safer to transport aluminum cans via bike than glass bottles, and i agree.

My other ride is your mom
    Mudshark Belgian White in a can out of Lake Havasu, AZ......it's pretty tasty....and I don't normally rock Belgian whites.

http://www.mudsharkbrewingco.com/index.php

mtbr member
    A can is a far superior vessel for storage and transportation of beer. It completely blocks out the two enemies: air and light. Bottles do a good job of keeping air out, if properly capped, but only a mediocre job of blocking light.

The reason most micros aren't canned is that a canning line is significantly more expensive than a bottling line, And, until just the past couple of years, there was a huge minimum order of cans (something like 250,000). Now I believe you can get quantities as low as 25,000.

Some say they taste a difference in a can, but today's cans are all fully lined.

And I always pour my beer into a glass anyway...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pargenz
    A can is a far superior vessel for storage and transportation of beer. It completely blocks out the two enemies: air and light. Bottles do a good job of keeping air out, if properly capped, but only a mediocre job of blocking light.

The reason most micros aren't canned is that a canning line is significantly more expensive than a bottling line, And, until just the past couple of years, there was a huge minimum order of cans (something like 250,000). Now I believe you can get quantities as low as 25,000.

Some say they taste a difference in a can, but today's cans are all fully lined.

The key is drinking it out of a glass like you said! I think most people notice a metallic taste because they drink it from the can where their mouth and nose are all over the metal. That is what I have noticed myself anyway.

beater
    Oskar Blues' beers never did much for me. I preferred Old Chub to Dale's and I'm not actually much of a Scottie drinker. Here in MT we have a couple breweries that are canning now: Kettle House (excellent) and Big Sky (decent). KH only does 16oz cans.

If you're a rafter, you'll understand why you want cans.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Omicron
    Surly brewing out of Twin Cities area cans everything in 16oz cans so that you can pour a real pint every time. The slogan is "Beer from a can, for a glass". I love it.

Their Furious IPA is like...just...every time I drink it angels sing. Seriously.

I have no qualms drinking it out of a can at all
    I concur, I drank one out of the can last night and it is the best IPA I have ever drank.

Waiting for my Obamabucks

Maui Brewing Company- IPA

Had this while on a trip to Maui this last summer. I thought it was great getting a really good beer in a can. Good beer also. Not Stone, but good beer.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pargenz

The owner of Surly said exactly the opposite about the canning line, cheaper to buy a new can set-up then a used bottling machine, plus they are smaller and much quieter.

But the cost on a semi trailer of cans would be to high if your beer output is still on the small side.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Ska Brewing

Ska Brewing does their...

Special E.S.B.
    and their
    Modus Hoperandi IPA

The ESB is special as it was the second canned micro in the nation after Dale's.

Ska is out of Colorado.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    +1 on Modus Hoperandi (its the bomb)
    top stout: Ten Fidy
    top IPA: Surly Furious
    Really would like to try the Maui Coconut Porter
    can't go wrong w/ anything from Surly or Oskar Blues
    Fat Tire (meh)
    21st amendment isn't bad either
    I had a Sea Hag and was thoroughly unimpressed