Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sweat is just fat crying.

CA law regarding filling growlers.

Well, this sucks. I guess there's a real law that you can't have a growler filled at one brewery if it has another brewery's logo on it.

That stinks. I'd heard rumors about this for a while, and some breweries have been a little lax and let me slide, but think of this next time you go to Rubicon and want them to fill your Sierra Nevada growler. Ain't gonna happen.

One guy's take on it, along with some reasoned responses: Rhapsody in Brew: Beer Law: Getting Growlers Filled in California
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Well, this sucks. I guess there's a real law that you can't have a growler filled at one brewery if it has another brewery's logo on it.

That stinks. I'd heard rumors about this for a while, and some breweries have been a little lax and let me slide, but think of this next time you go to Rubicon and want them to fill your Sierra Nevada growler. Ain't gonna happen.

One guy's take on it, along with some reasoned responses: Rhapsody in Brew: Beer Law: Getting Growlers Filled in California
    Why not get one without a logo on it?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sandpaper + logo = no logo

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah, just rock one of those Hydroflask metal growlers, and problem solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Why not get one without a logo on it?
    I'm pretty sure that it has to feature the logo of the brewery that you are at, if the Brewery's growlers have a logo.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    ahhh, the intricacies and vagarities of alcohol laws...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    sandpaper + logo = no logo
    It sounds to me like a growler with no logo would also be illegal. The law says the container has to have the name of the manufacturer, and the bottler, of the beer it contains.

Now if that isn't the most ffff&*() up over reach of government ever! Do people actually think we elect them to come up with retarded sheit like this?

Next thing you know you'll be getting a ticket for drinking out of an mislabeled pint glass.

mtbr member
    North Carolina has a similar law on the books IIRC from a weekend in Asheville.

We just got growlers in GA and can only fill them at liquor/package stores, still no direct beer sales from the brewers outside of tasting events at the breweries.

Beer Please!
    it is a dumb law, but since it is the law it helped me develop a pretty cool collection of local growlers.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does the law state anything about having multiple logos on the growlers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightlost View Post
    Business opportunity cha ching!!! Do it!

Beer Please!
    That wont work.

Stone sells Magnum of their double oaked Arrogant Bastard, and it has a pop top on it. I asked the guys there if I bought one could I get it re-filled, and they said yes, BUT ONLY with the same beer that is on the label, Meaning I would have to wait until they put double oaked arrogant bastard on growler fill, which is normally is not.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So how about multiple logos and labels then? Just make them tiny like the fine print on a tv advert? I know reaching, but make a stupid law, create a smart ass response to it

Hi.
    So far, the best way to deal with this (without changing the law) is to have breweries affix tags to the growlers, not labels. Removable tags, even if it was a piece of paper, could have all the relevant legally-required information and still be used at multiple breweries (by simply removing the tag.) This would mean breweries are not making as much money from the sale of growlers, which may upset some of the bigger guys.

Think something like this (photo taken from Flickr):

mtbr member
    So how about multiple logos and labels then? Just make them tiny like the fine print on a tv advert? I know reaching, but make a stupid law, create a smart ass response to it
    The way I read the law, yes it would work.
    Put the names of all the breweries in one area on the same growler. Then wherever you go to fill it up, the container WOULD have the name of the manufacturer and bottler of the beer. That's all that's required!
    Name of the beer isn't required. I've never seen a growler specific to one beer anyway, but if Stone made one just for Arrogant Bastard, they must not have known about the law when they made it

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This is so easy its ridiculous. This all comes down to labeling law, and you can do it the same way its done when kegs are recycled - change the label. Start with growlers with no logo printed on them. When it gets filled put a paper sticker on it with the brewer name or logo. Have 2 lines at the bottom where the bartender writes the name of the beer and the date. Each time a sticker gets applied it has to go over the last one. Paper stickers cost nothing and it will only take a bartender an extra 10 seconds to do this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    The way I read the law, yes it would work.
    Put the names of all the breweries in one area on the same growler. Then wherever you go to fill it up, the container WOULD have the name of the manufacturer and bottler of the beer. That's all that's required!
    Name of the beer isn't required. I've never seen a growler specific to one beer anyway, but if Stone made one just for Arrogant Bastard, they must not have known about the law when they made it
    On second thought, no it wouldn't work. From the law

(no manufacturer shall)..use as a package or container of a beer a container or carton which bears the name of a manufacturer of beer or the brand of any beer other than those of the manufacturer of the beer contained in the container or carton

Whoever wrote that law ought to be whipped. Not just for writing a stupid law, but for writing it in the most unintelligable piss poor english imaginable. I can't believe people who write like that can actually get paid to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    This is so easy its ridiculous. This all comes down to labeling law, and you can do it the same way its done when kegs are recycled - change the label. Start with growlers with no logo printed on them. When it gets filled put a paper sticker on it with the brewer name or logo. Have 2 lines at the bottom where the bartender writes the name of the beer and the date. Each time a sticker gets applied it has to go over the last one. Paper stickers cost nothing and it will only take a bartender an extra 10 seconds to do this.
    Yes, as JMartino said, that is the solution. But Brew Pubs want to, and have been, selling Growlers with their name and logo on it. They might be doing that on purpose, just so you have come back to refill it.

Thank the good lord I'm in Colorado. No retarded law like that here, (yet!) Or if there is, the breweries around my house don't know or care about it.

mtbr member
    If you read the discussion below the article, one guy points out that federal law considers a growler a large glass, not a container. That makes sense to me. It seems the labeling law should not apply to a growler which is more of a temporary holder of beer like glass, rather than its original packaging (like a bottle or keg).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    If you read the discussion below the article, one guy points out that federal law considers a growler a large glass, not a container. That makes sense to me. It seems the labeling law should not apply to a growler which is more of a temporary holder of beer like glass, rather than its original packaging (like a bottle or keg).
    Then you could not take one in the car, since alcohol must be in a sealed container(California). Since a growler is a "container" by California law, they put a little sticker over the cap so it is a "sealed container" and you dont get an open container ticket for having it in the car.

If having to have a growler with that breweries label, is the only catch. I am perfectly happy to buy growlers for the local breweries. Its a small price to pay for he massive benefits I get from it.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybeaner View Post
    Then you could not take one in the car, since alcohol must be in a sealed container(California). Since a growler is a "container" by California law, they put a little sticker over the cap so it is a "sealed container" and you dont get an open container ticket for having it in the car.

If having to have a growler with that breweries label, is the only catch. I am perfectly happy to buy growlers for the local breweries. Its a small price to pay for he massive benefits I get from it.
    Yeah maybe. I'm no legal expert it just seems to me that that law shouldn't apply to growlers. A growler is different than a keg, can or bottle in 1 very important way: With a growler, the consumer is there when it is being filled. That makes the labeling laws non-applicalbe in my opinion, and mean the growler is a lot more similar to a mug than to a can bottle or keg.

It may not be any big deal to you to have a big growler collection, but it is to me. I'm not a big growler fan. I think its cool, very occasionally, to go pick up a growler of something, so I bought a really nice growler. I don't want any more. If I had to limit its use to one brewery, it just means I would use it less. Bad for business, bad for the consumer, bad for everyone. Dumb law.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    There's all kind of unnecessary laws about alcohol and I think the main reason is that states have alcohol commissions packed with people trying to justify their own existence on the taxpayer's dollar. We also have beer/wine/liquor lobbyists plying our state legislators with ideas for protectionist laws and with campaign financing.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post

Think something like this (photo taken from Flickr):

That's a cool looking black cat in the background. It looks just like mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Colorado has a similar law about growler fills. The growler has to have the logo of the brewery that is filling it. I have a hydroflask insulated growler that I got as a sample. It has Ten Barrel Brewing, from Bend OR, label on it. I just took a vacation around the state and stopped in at 5 different breweries and asked to get it filled. Not a single one of them turned me down. They were more impressed by the growler and wanted to know who made it and how they could get one.

Basically, here in CO anyway, I don't think that anyone is actually enforcing the rule about growler fills. There is one local brewery who chooses to follow the rules. They want to sell their beer in their growlers only. Better marketing in their minds.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Colorado has a similar law about growler fills. The growler has to have the logo of the brewery that is filling it. I have a hydroflask insulated growler that I got as a sample. It has Ten Barrel Brewing, from Bend OR, label on it. I just took a vacation around the state and stopped in at 5 different breweries and asked to get it filled. Not a single one of them turned me down. They were more impressed by the growler and wanted to know who made it and how they could get one.

Basically, here in CO anyway, I don't think that anyone is actually enforcing the rule about growler fills. There is one local brewery who chooses to follow the rules. They want to sell their beer in their growlers only. Better marketing in their minds.
    What'd you think of 10 Barrel's beer? And Californian breweries are nowhere near that lax about the law...sounds like CO guys have better things to worry about!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast