Retired User

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Having had the bigger Brew Dog offerings, I wondering how well they pulled it off. Could be a real chest burner, but it could be smooth as well. At 40.00, it's not an awful price either.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Me!
    IMO these are cheater beers. Might as well just be a distilled malt liquor at this point since they are just freezing out water and condensing it to higher and higher ABV's; freezing out water and distilling obtain the same goal of removing water. Don't get me wrong, i would still love to try it, but the ABV war is a little silly.

Correct me if I am wrong but i think that Utopius is still the highest ABV naturally fermented beer on the market.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Might as well just be a distilled malt liquor at this point since they are just freezing out water and condensing it to higher and higher ABV's; freezing out water and distilling obtain the same goal of removing water.
    Yeah...couple of years ago there was a brewery in Winthrop, WA (which, incidentally, has some rad riding and an annual MTB festival) that brought a "special" keg to the WABL (Washington Association of Beer Lovers) CaskFest event. The brewer was super-cagey about describing the style and process, going so far as to call it something else in the program notes. After some prodding, it turns out they had accidentally frozen one of the casks they were intending to bring, so decided to experiment with an ice beer. He kept distilling it down to somewhere around 30%, though the dude didn't want to tell us much. He was paranoid that the liquor control board would pull his license.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but anyone else had "legit" (i.e., not one-offs like Winthrop's) craft ice beers they liked? I'd be curious to try some others -- maybe not at 65%abv, though.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but i think that Utopius is still the highest ABV naturally fermented beer on the market.
    I'm not sure if it's the highest, but it is "naturally" fermented (no ice decanting), but it does use a champagne yeast (Saccharomyces bayanus vs Saccharomyces cerevisiae).
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    I'd try it.

I grew up hearing stories about my grandpa making his own applejack by fermenting hard cider, freezing it, and scraping the ice off the top, then letting it melt before consumption. Doesnt seem like beer would be far off.

Do they recarbonate or charge the bottle in order to ensure some suds?

Beer Please!
    I don't think I will buy this one. It was fun getting my tactical nuclear in the mail, and trying my buddies Sink the bismark, but I think I would rather drop $60 on a good Scotch when going for the high abv mark.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but anyone else had "legit" (i.e., not one-offs like Winthrop's) craft ice beers they liked? I'd be curious to try some others -- maybe not at 65%abv, though.
    Eisbock's are made with fractional freezing (ice distillation.) Aventinus Weizen Eisbock is one such example, and is pretty tasty.

Also, the first batch of Deschutes Super Jubel Ale was created by the same process (accidentally.)

Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the highest, but it is "naturally" fermented (no ice decanting), but it does use a champagne yeast (Saccharomyces bayanus vs Saccharomyces cerevisiae).
    Brew Dog's Ghost Deer is the strongest naturally fermented beer out there, I believe. The serving apparatus at the pub is pretty funny:

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I'd try it.
    Do they recarbonate or charge the bottle in order to ensure some suds?
    They don't recarbonate it - it's more of a liquor than a beer.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Brew Dog's Ghost Deer is the strongest naturally fermented beer out there, I believe. The serving apparatus at the pub is pretty funny:

OMG I want that.

telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Rogue Exterminator
    This method has been used before and always turns out substandard beer.

I say once you have to start freezing to remove alcohol, the process becomes pointless.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    This method has been used before and always turns out substandard beer.

I say once you have to start freezing to remove alcohol, the process becomes pointless.
    Have you had this? If not, check it out. You will change your mind

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^i concur. good stuff. fwiw, i'm going to try brewing an eisbock this winter.