mtbr member
    May 2008

Brewery Tasting Tips

I'm going beer tasting at a brewery in a couple hours. Any recommendations to maximize the experience and "train" my palette? I tend to like strong ales and am starting to really like certain IPAs. My taste frequently changes but I'd like to pinpoint differences in types of beer and why I feel some IPAs are better than others.

mtbr member
    Light to heavy. Take a deep sniff to catch some aroma. The rest is personal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Adding to what CH said - pick a style (say IPA) read up about it.
    Figure out what the general differences are between hops. i.e. noble, English, and American styles of hops (since hops pretty much define IPA)..
    Pick a single style (or two, but keep it simple) -focus on learning about it. Then later, you can start comparing styles.

If you are super serious, consider formal training like the BCJP judge training.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Light to heavy. Take a deep sniff to catch some aroma. The rest is personal.
    What the Hung fella' said above ^^^

And remember, "light" and "heavy" have nothing to do with the color of the beer. Guiness is actually a lighter beer than most.

mtbr member

Great advice....

....would add that you should rinse the sampling glass between different brews...most of the time the servers will do this...also recommend rinsing your palate with water between brews....have a great time...take some pictures and post on Mtbr. beer forum!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........