mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Which breweries to visit in San Diego?

I'm heading back to San Diego and am looking for suggestions for Breweries to visit. I've already been to Stone, Pizza Port (Carlsbad), Green Flash, and Ballast Point. I'm especially looking for good IPAs - the hoppier, the better! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    AleSmith Brewery in Cabot Drive, San Diego
    Craft Beer Kings Southern California

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Check out Societe Brewing @ 8262 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Great brewery, cool tasting room. Try their Pupil it's a great rye IPA.

Alpine Brewery is amazing too, Nelson is a great IPA. In Alpine, 40 minutes east of downtown.

Also suggest hitting up Toronado on 30th street as they normally have tons of local IPAs on tap.
    It wasn't me

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler View Post
    Check out Societe Brewing @ 8262 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Great brewery, cool tasting room. Try their Pupil it's a great rye IPA.

Alpine Brewery is amazing too, Nelson is a great IPA. In Alpine, 40 minutes east of downtown.

Also suggest hitting up Toronado on 30th street as they normally have tons of local IPAs on tap.
    What he said, though I don't think Pupil is a Rye. It is a Citra/Nelson Blend IPA. But I could be wrong, maybe they do have some rye malt in the grain bill. Also as of yesterday they still had Roustabout, their gold medal winning double ipa (beat pliny in a northern California IPA contest this year) on tap.

Alpine is the Mecca for IPA in San Diego, it is just a bit out of the way.

O'Briens pub near Societe normally has a few Alpine beers on tap, probably your best bet for finding alpine beers in town.

Mission Brewery in Downtown is very good, their imperial Red is fantastic.

Monkey Paw is also in downtown.

Hess just makes good beer all around, they have a location in North Park, and the original brewery is in Mira Mesa near Alesmith and roughdraft.

Have Fun!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Alpine, Societe and Pizza Port OB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Great suggestions everyone, thanks!

I definitely want to try Societe. I hadn't heard about them, but looks like they have plenty of IPAs and Pupil and especially Roustabout sound outstanding!

I'm interested in Monkey Paw - another brewery I hadn't heard of until recently (when they won at the GABF). I'd like to check that out if I can.

Alpine was highest on my list but the brewery is closed on Sunday when I'll be there and I read mixed reviews about their pub in terms of waiting time (for Sunday afternoon) and service. It might have to wait for another trip.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    This just in:

Toronado on 30th Street Nov 2, will have 50 IPAs on Tap for Beer Week!

One great location to sample great local and non local IPAs.

Beers from AleSmith, Alpine, Societe, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Rough Draft, Port Brewing, the 3 SD Pizza Ports, and from the rest of California, breweries like Russian River, Sierra Nevada, Smog City, Kern River, Bear Republic, Beachwood, Almanac
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler View Post
    This just in:

Toronado on 30th Street Nov 2, will have 50 IPAs on Tap for Beer Week!

One great location to sample great local and non local IPAs.

Beers from AleSmith, Alpine, Societe, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Rough Draft, Port Brewing, the 3 SD Pizza Ports, and from the rest of California, breweries like Russian River, Sierra Nevada, Smog City, Kern River, Bear Republic, Beachwood, Almanac
    Wow! What a line-up!

I had no idea I was going to be in San Diego during Beer Week! What a happy coincidence! So many good beers to try!

Hi.
    If Pizza Port (Carlsbad, San Clemente or OB) was the only brewery I could visit for the rest of my life, I wouldn't even be mad. They are by far my all-around favorite brewery in existence, particularly the Carlsbad location. Nobody else comes close to the quality and diversity of their constantly-rotating taps, and they usually have fantastic guest beers on tap too. There are times where I'll spend the weekend in SD and instead of driving around to all the different places, I'll just park my butt at Pizza Port for a couple days and make my way down their list.

Beer Please!
    Local rag put out a top ten article this week:

San Diego's Top 10 Breweries | San Diego Reader

I agree with everything but Lattitude 33, they make very good beer, but I don't rank them as a top ten yet, some consistency issues with getting each batch to taste the same.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    If Pizza Port (Carlsbad, San Clemente or OB) was the only brewery I could visit for the rest of my life, I wouldn't even be mad. They are by far my all-around favorite brewery in existence, particularly the Carlsbad location. Nobody else comes close to the quality and diversity of their constantly-rotating taps, and they usually have fantastic guest beers on tap too. There are times where I'll spend the weekend in SD and instead of driving around to all the different places, I'll just park my butt at Pizza Port for a couple days and make my way down their list.
    I've been to Pizza Port in Carlsbad, and I do remember their tap list being huge! I'm heading to the Ocean Beach location for dinner tonight!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Local rag put out a top ten article this week:

San Diego's Top 10 Breweries | San Diego Reader

I agree with everything but Lattitude 33, they make very good beer, but I don't rank them as a top ten yet, some consistency issues with getting each batch to taste the same.
    Excellent timing! And great list! I've already been to some, and will hit a few more, including Societe, on this trip. I have to keep this list for my next trip so I can get to the rest!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Stone World Bistro in Point Loma. Great atmosphere. If you can go up north and check out their Vista location you wont be disappointed either.