Bike Dork

Boulevard Brewing Saison-Brett

Those of you that have read my other posts know that when I see a new beer I buy it. I left the east coast 3 days ago in a Penske truck full of my stuff and I'm back in the PacNW for a few months. Back where even in a small town in North Idaho has great beer selection. Anyway, the wife and I picked up six 22oz. bottles of various stuff we hadn't had before. One was a Saison from Boulevard Brewing.

Now I've never been a great fan of Boulevard, but I never pass up a saison. Saisons are a old traditional Belgian style that non-Belgians have a problem wrapping their tongues around. The reason is the main herb used is coriander and has a bitter and astringent accent almost the antithesis of traditional hops. Most American saison beers seem to go very light on this srtange flavor so it doesn't scare away drinkers.

The Boulevard Brewing Saison-Brett is a bold step in the right direction to bringing the true style of Belgian beers to a wider audience. It is a limited release, my bottle was #218 of 11925 bottles. At $12 for 22ozs. it's not cheap, but if you can find a bottle and want to try an adventurous beer buy it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Those of you that have read my other posts know that when I see a new beer I buy it. I left the east coast 3 days ago in a Penske truck full of my stuff and I'm back in the PacNW for a few months. Back where even in a small town in North Idaho has great beer selection. Anyway, the wife and I picked up six 22oz. bottles of various stuff we hadn't had before. One was a Saison from Boulevard Brewing.

Now I've never been a great fan of Boulevard, but I never pass up a saison. Saisons are a old traditional Belgian style that non-Belgians have a problem wrapping their tongues around. The reason is the main herb used is coriander and has a bitter and astringent accent almost the antithesis of traditional hops. Most American saison beers seem to go very light on this srtange flavor so it doesn't scare away drinkers.

The Boulevard Brewing Saison-Brett is a bold step in the right direction to bringing the true style of Belgian beers to a wider audience. It is a limited release, my bottle was #218 of 11925 bottles. At $12 for 22ozs. it's not cheap, but if you can find a bottle and want to try an adventurous beer buy it.
    great review. I'll go find some

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

had it last night

quite tasty with my meal
    gotta try the Ommegang as well