Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    fc
    used to be francois Administrator

The bomber bottle - the great craft beer fraud

Bomber bottles are great right? You get to try new beers here and there and don't have to commit to the price and volume of a six-pack.

Guess what? We are getting fleeced! Were' paying 50% more for the beer in most cases. It is a crime and most of us don't even realize it.

BevMo! - Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
    8.99 for 22 oz = 2.44 oz per dollar

BevMo! - Ballest Point Sculpin
    $16 for 72 oz = 4.5 oz per dollar

One 22 oz bomber is not even two beers. Plus you have to consume the whole thing.

So always buy six packs. The good news is the good beers are now starting to become available in sixers.

Now there is the Belgian sized bottle or wine bottle that is 25.3 oz. That's a little better. For the Bomber sized bottles, Lagunitas is one of the few that prices their bottles fairly.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am not sure this "revelation" is thread worthy. It is rather obvious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    HOWEVER, dissolved oxygen is typically insanely lower in 22oz bottles than 12oz's. So if you are buying a 22oz IPA(sculpin,) the hop integrity will last a lot longer. So you are indirectly buying a higher quality product :P

mtbr member
    Hey, if you don't want the other 5 beers I'm sure you have friends! ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Sounds like profit to me

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The 16 oz can (pint) is rapidly becoming my favorite container.
    Here's a classic from The Lord of the Rings ("It comes in pints?")
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFnv-TZzRs

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I am not sure this "revelation" is thread worthy. It is rather obvious.
    It's not obvious to all.

It's good to make folks aware. We all need to vote with our wallets too. They'll keep making these and overcharging as long as folks buy em.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It's not obvious to all.

It's good to make folks aware. We all need to vote with our wallets too. They'll keep making these and overcharging as long as folks buy em.

fc
    For what its worth, I never saw the big bottles of craft brew as being a bargain sort of bottling, but more of a convenience or a novelty item. I expect to pay more for either of those categories.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    For what its worth, I never saw the big bottles of craft brew as being a bargain sort of bottling, but more of a convenience or a novelty item. I expect to pay more for either of those categories.
    I concur.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I buy too many different beers to want to buy six packs. So I knowingly pay a premium for bombers.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby View Post
    I buy too many different beers to want to buy six packs. So I knowingly pay a premium for bombers.
    That is my way of going about it. I tend to buy many different beers to put in my collection, and not many bottle shops allow one to pick out 6 different beers and buy them in a sixxer, nor do all specialty beers come in baby bottles, most come in 22's or 750's.

My last beer purchase:

None of those are even available in a 12oz bottle.

My cold storage facility:

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lots of beers aren't offered in 12oz sizes.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    22 oz. bottles = road soda.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    @Klurejr, SN Narwhal is available as a 4 pk for about $10-$12. Is that 750 a special variant? I can't zoom in on your pic. Your cold storage is awesome.

*edit* NM, I searched for the 750ml and found out it is barrel aged.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm glad that not too ridiculously priced 6 packs are making their way back into the craft beer scene. When I turned 21 in 2007, domestic craft beer was mostly sold in 6 packs, then it was 4 packs, and then the over-priced 22 ounce bombers took hold. I'm so excited that one of my favorite beers in Ballast Point's "Victory at Sea" has been released in 6- packs for under 15 bucks (the bomber is 10 bucks).

fc

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Lots of beers aren't offered in 12oz sizes.
    This true but it is changing. Four years ago, the only good beer I could get at the local BevMo or beer shop were bombers. Today it seems like I have 50 options on 6 packs.

The best are the Colorado beers which are always in cans. And the 4 pack of tall cans us really awesome.
    IPA will save America

Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    @Klurejr, SN Narwhal is available as a 4 pk for about $10-$12. Is that 750 a special variant? I can't zoom in on your pic. Your cold storage is awesome.

*edit* NM, I searched for the 750ml and found out it is barrel aged.
    Yeah, besides Bourbon County I have not really seen any BA beers in a 12oz bottle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Yeah, besides Bourbon County I have not really seen any BA beers in a 12oz bottle.
    That, Founders KBS and the Avery barrel aged beers are the only ones I've seen. I hope more do soon! Sometimes I like to crack open a nice barrel aged stout by myself and these days a bomber is just too much for my liking.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Agreed and obvious, but sometimes worth it, however... I hate when you know the 4 pack or 6 pack exists of a beer but the place only stocks the bomber? Example.. Boulevard Sixth Glass Quad.. Comes in a 4 pack of 12 oz for around $12... or a bomber for 9-10?? Clearly stock the damn 4 pack please!!! Avery the Reverend Quad doesn't come in 4 or 6 packs, but at 7.99, not too bad of a deal.

I prefer 4 or 6 packs any day, but some really great beers would be missed if I didn't buy bombers here and there...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quarts are the biggest rip of um all. $6.50 for a quart of Lagunitas Sucks were as a 6er sells for $9.99

mtbr member
    Bombers are for home brew, brewery specialty small batch runs, and Sam Smith's. Personally, I'll take an English pint (16oz)... in a can preferably.
    No fuss with my MUSS,... or my Rockies
    *looking for a RF Deus Hbar Blue uncut*

Quote Originally Posted by Budmovin View Post
    That, Founders KBS and the Avery barrel aged beers are the only ones I've seen. I hope more do soon! Sometimes I like to crack open a nice barrel aged stout by myself and these days a bomber is just too much for my liking.
    I forgot about KBS and Avery.

We only get a handful of Avery Beers in SoCal, and no Founders at all. If I want KBS I have to go on a hunt when traveling in the midwest or east coast. My wife was actually able to find me some in Ohio two years ago when she was on a business trip, she took a Cab with her boss at the time into a less than desirable neighborhood in Columbus because she had looked up a decent bottle shop, and they actually had one in the back and brought it out and sold it to her. I have an awesome wife.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Bombers are for home brew, brewery specialty small batch runs, and Sam Smith's. Personally, I'll take an English pint (16oz)... in a can preferably.
    Yup, Sam Smith ftw!! So good and they're priced at around $3+ since they haven't signed on to the US scam.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    This true but it is changing. Four years ago, the only good beer I could get at the local BevMo or beer shop were bombers. Today it seems like I have 50 options on 6 packs.

The best are the Colorado beers which are always in cans. And the 4 pack of tall cans us really awesome.
    Pretty true. It's getting better, but even a good beer store is really only going to have 12oz. of a brewer's signature IPA or Pale or brown or porter/stout. Those of us who have been in the game a long time have had all those beers many times and are looking for seasonal/small batch stuff. Certainly would be nice if we could get the savings though.

And +1 on the folks asking for more barrel aged stuff in the 12oz. As I type, I'm drinking a Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine. Great at 12oz., but I wouldn't want to have to work my way through an additional 10oz. Plus, at the cost of BA beers, would be nice to spend less to try things out. I've spent a bundle on bombers of beer that I didn't think much of.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Pretty true. It's getting better, but even a good beer store is really only going to have 12oz. of a brewer's signature IPA or Pale or brown or porter/stout. Those of us who have been in the game a long time have had all those beers many times and are looking for seasonal/small batch stuff. Certainly would be nice if we could get the savings though.

And +1 on the folks asking for more barrel aged stuff in the 12oz. As I type, I'm drinking a Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine. Great at 12oz., but I wouldn't want to have to work my way through an additional 10oz. Plus, at the cost of BA beers, would be nice to spend less to try things out. I've spent a bundle on bombers of beer that I didn't think much of.
    How is that Goose Island Barleywine.. I have stayed away since they got bought out??

Crazy Mountain Brewing Barley Wine (Called Lawyers, Guns and Money.. in a yellow can).. is one of my new favorites, very, very good.. more like a Big, Floral Double IPA but 10%.. I can't seem to get enough of it...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast