Beer Please!

"Best Of" or "top ten" lists

Over the years we have seen numerous online publications hold online polls, write articles, etc and then come up with "Best of" or "Top 10" lists extra.

Most people on this board recognize that most of those lists are biased, and in many cases as far from the truth as you can get (Looking at you ashville).

Plus there is the FACT that people have different pallets and what might be the "best" to one person can be just okay to the next.

This is one of the first times I have ever seen a "best of" list put together in such a good way with many industry type people being involved and no one person influencing the final list.

The only way you make this better is have each of those people taste each beer blind and in one sitting. But it is still one of the better put together lists I have seen to date.

The definitive top 10 IPAs, as chosen by a hopped-up panel of beer writers

With the Variety of Hops available and with there being some pretty big differences in Aroma, Flavor and bittering between the Hops we almost need a list of the best "Nelson" based IPA's, the best "Citra" based IPA's, etc, etc, etc.

Of Course we would then have to be able to get all the beers we are testing when they are fresh, and I somehow doubt we would be able to get each of these beers when fresh.

I propose that we here on the MTBR Beer Forum put together our own Blind Tastings. Choose 5 beers of a style, have a few friends over and have them blind taste and rank. Post your results here.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    Good topic after MTBR's recent 'top beers' article

GABF used blind ratings so I generally trust the results from that competition. We've done blind tastings up here a few times - we'll definitely have to hold some more and post the results.

Here's a tip for a blind tasting: make sure you are comparing similar beers. Keep the alcohol levels and styles as similar as possible.

mtbr member
    Whoah. I had no idea SN's Celebration was an IPA. I'll have to sample now.

PS. List seems a little Cali-centric.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Whoah. I had no idea SN's Celebration was an IPA. I'll have to sample now.

PS. List seems a little Cali-centric.
    Yeah, and they have Heady Topper on there which is an Imperial or Double IPA by all standards, and obviously they did not have time to try every single flagship IPA that is made in the US.

I just found it to be a better done list than most out there which tend to be written by one person who will hype their favorite beers.

And I Agree with JT, if you do a blind test try to get beers that are as similar in profile as possible, Hops, ABV, etc. I have participated in a Blind IPA and DIPA tasting and I once hosted a Blind Porter Tasting. When I hosted I did not vote but rather only allowed those blind tasting to vote.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    They misspelled Societe.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    They misspelled Societe.
    And they ranked it wrong. #28 is surely a joke.

mtbr member
    I like putting a list together this way, but where are the super-hyped IPAs like Pliny and DFH 90min?

I <3 NM
    ABQ's own La Cumbre at #20.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Yep...I've got nothing against these kinds of lists, and there's some great IPAs on there, but if it's not a blind tasting, it really doesn't count. And as you said, Klurejr, what does "best" really mean? My personal favorite (as in the Thrillist piece) or best match to style guidelines as in GABF/WBC/other "professionally-judged" event?

Also, it's just about impossible to have a truly representative sample of what's out there, especially for an incredibly popular style like American IPA. But I'm all for giving it a shot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I like putting a list together this way, but where are the super-hyped IPAs like Pliny and DFH 90min?
    I think the point was not to include double IPA's or Imperials and whatnot.

Afric Pepperbird
    I still don't know anyone (personally) who has tried Pallet Jack IPA.

If only Santa were real....

mtbr member
    And yet, Heady Topper is on the list, but only at #25.

Hi.
    Nobody said the list was perfect!! JEEZ!

At least lists like this will have newbies flocking to Sculpin and not chasing after the harder-to-get stuff. I can dream, right?

mtbr member
    Seems about right for a canned beer that can only be had if you live within a hundred miles of the brewery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

Dirt Farmer, I'm thinking about hassling my local distributor. You're a bit closer to Baker City, so will you start hassling the Bend distributors so I can find Pallet Jack whenever I'm over your way.

mtbr member
    What's the point of that?

Makes more sense now though... Thx

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Yep...I've got nothing against these kinds of lists, and there's some great IPAs on there, but if it's not a blind tasting, it really doesn't count. And as you said, Klurejr, what does "best" really mean? My personal favorite (as in the Thrillist piece) or best match to style guidelines as in GABF/WBC/other "professionally-judged" event?

Also, it's just about impossible to have a truly representative sample of what's out there, especially for an incredibly popular style like American IPA. But I'm all for giving it a shot!
    That is why I recommend that everyone do a Blind tasting at least once or twice in your life, you might be surprised how you end up ranking beers when you don't know what they are.

I personally do not think Pliny is the best DIPA on the market and my friends all think I am a weirdo.

In a blind tasting I ranked it 5th out of 5 DIPA's. Almost everyone else in the tasting ranked it 1st.

Just shows that some things cannot be faked, and everyone has different taste buds.

mtbr member

Hey Dirt Farmer, I see that Broken Top Bottle Shop has Barley Brown's beer on tap occasionally. The have had Pallet Jack pretty recently. I'd watch their Facebook page or something.

Afric Pepperbird
    Hey Dirt Farmer, I see that Broken Top Bottle Shop has Barley Brown's beer on tap occasionally. The have had Pallet Jack pretty recently. I'd watch their Facebook page or something.
    I went there today; no dice.

Crow's Feet Commons had some on tap last month, and I missed out.

mtbr member
    I went there today; no dice.

Crow's Feet Commons had some on tap last month, and I missed out.
    Well, let me know once you've hit the jackpot.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I personally do not think Pliny is the best DIPA on the market and my friends all think I am a weirdo.
    Pliny is solid, balanced, and the epitome of the classical DIPA. But new hops have changed the game, and I wouldn't even put Pliny in my top 10 Imperial IPAs anymore.

I wish RR made more of it, so it could be found locally like RPM is found in Bend. It would be a solid beer to have on tap everywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Pliny is solid, balanced, and the epitome of the classical DIPA. But new hops have changed the game, and I wouldn't even put Pliny in my top 10 Imperial IPAs anymore.
    I tried Pliny for the first time this year. Had to pay $8.50 for a pint, and the bar was only allowing a single pint per person. About half a glass in, I had a list of at least a half-dozen DIPAs I liked better. Having come to Pliny later in the game, and having sampled many of the new-school IPAs, I thought Pliny tasted dated, and what I remembered from the first time I drank an IPA 10 years ago or better. I think the term "classical" fits Pliny well, but exclusivity and a dated reputation have defined the beer for too long now.

Hi.
    Speaking of Top 10 lists, here's Men's Journal's Top 10 Rarest Beers in America:

Russian River's Pliny the Younger: The Rarest Beers in America - Russian River's Pliny the Younger: The Rarest Beers in America - MensJournal.com

It's a weird mix of easily-available distributed beers, brewery-only seasonals and no-longer-produced one-offs.

A much, much better list is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...-9j3idSzA/edit

Most of those beers would sell for $400+ each if available on the secondary market. Dave and M are easily $1200+ a bottle.

Beer Please!
    I dont get how FW Anniversary and Heady Topper can make a rare beer list....