Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Portland breweries?

My wife and I are taking a trip up to Portland in June and I'm looking for some local knowledge. As I've been doing some research I noticed...holy crap there's a lot of breweries in Portland!

I mean, I knew you people liked beer up there but damn. Anyways, I know the usual suspects (Bridgeport, McMennamins, Deschutes etc.) but I'm looking for the hidden gems. Everything I've had from Hair of the Dog has been awesome and Upright and HUB have been making their way down to NorCal...but some of the newer spots are still under the radar.

What are the must visit breweries in Portland for great beer?

I will gladly accept beer friendly restaurants as well. Thanks.

Plays with tools
    If your driving you should hit up Caldera in Ashland on your way up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    If your driving you should hit up Caldera in Ashland on your way up.
    Not driving, but yeah we went to Caldera and Standing Stone during last year's Super D.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Interesting and fun your trip. The Deschutes place is amazing. I would recommend a minimum of three days in there alone. They always have two cask conditioned ales. My advice is to have at least three pints of each one of them on one visit. Then see what is on the Nitro and have 3 pints of that too on another visit. Then go to the special to that brewery beers. I never drink the Black Butte, Mirror Pond, Cascade regular line up there cause I can get those beers any where.
    I never could understand buying a couple oz servings of 6 styles of beer to judge what is good. Give me three pints of Red Chair , Hop Henge, Batcheor Bitter, or Hop in the Dark on the cask and I will tell you what is a good beer.
    Hop in the Dark is supposed to be out within your trip.

Former Bike Wrench
    Huge fan of Hopworks, their 7 Grain Stout and Succession Cascadian Dark Ale are wonderful! If you head for the coast, Ft George Brewery in Astoria is fantastic, pick up a 4 pack (16oz cans) of their Vortex IPA in Portland if your not heading out that way. I've also always enjoyed the New Old Lompoc in NW Portland, their LSD (Lompoc Special Draft) has always been one of my favorites.

what the quan?!

... and if we just ...

A few good ones...

Breakside Brewery - if you liked Upright, then you'll love this place. They have pretty damn good grub too.

Not sure if you like sour beers and/or ever had a sour beer before, but Cascade Brewing Barrel House is the place to go in Portland for sour beers.

Burnside Brew Co - one of their beers is called the Sweet Heat. It is wheat ale made with apricots and scotch bonnet peppers. Hella good!

mtbr member

Widmer

I've always enjoyed my visits to the Widmer Gasthaus. Food and beer were both awesome!

my body breaks the falls
    I need to watch this thread. Trying to put together a Portland area brewery/biking trip for late summer. Thanks for the scoop so far - this trip could turn into something quite good!
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Laurelwood,Amnesia,Lucky Lab,Alameda for some brewery action.Concordia Alehouse is a great pub to see many northwest offerings and always visit the Horse Brass;-)

mtbr member
    Just wanted to keep you all abreast of my beer adventures as I know you are on the edge of your seat.

Breweries visited...

Upright Brewing
    -digging these guys, cool little tasting room. Really interesting beers made with Saison yeasts.
    Deschutes-beautiful building, had some stout with belgian yeast that was decent.
    Full Sail-Another great building with awesome views. Had some sort of Cascadian Black IPA.
    Hair of the Dog-Probably one of my favorite breweries in the country. Had Adam on the Wood.
    Burnside-went to the Fruit Beer Festival. A couple were decent, most were meh.
    Cascade Barrel House-This place was amazing. I kind of wish we would have just went here a bunch of times. "Sang Rogue" was the single best beer I had on the trip.
    Hopworks Bikebar-Really cool spot that apprently just opened up. I had the Survival Stout. Pretty good.

Also made a pilgrimage to Horse Brass which is a phenomenal beer bar and Belmont Station which has a ridiculous selection.

habitual line-stepper
    another vote for cascade. sampled three of their sours and an IPA today. the sours were some of the best beers i've had, period. i enjoyed their sang royal, apricot '10 and barrel strength raspberry, all fantastic. the problem is that all their brews sound good! need more money and a stunt liver to conquer their tap list.

if you're at cascade, might as well swing by hair of the dog, they're pretty close.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Deshutes has a brewery in portland? wtf? I had no idea but I never go to portland ( Im in Bend )

I had no idea.
    If you go through Bend, you will find a lots of good brewerys
    Deshutes,
    Bend Brewing
    Cascade Lakes
    Ten Barrel
    ..whatever the one in sisters is called I forgot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai View Post
    i enjoyed their sang royal, apricot '10 and barrel strength raspberry, all fantastic.
    Damn. It was the Sang Royal I had not the Rogue. Anyways, amazing beer. Had the Kriek too which was good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A little off topic, but have any of you gotten to the Green Dragon in Portland yet?

Green Dragon
    928 SE 9th Ave
    Portland, Oregon
    (503) 517-0660

Awesome Place, Great selection of Beers.

mtbr member
    I know this thread is old, but looking for updated info. Going to Portland tomorrow. Planning on going to Apex and Horse Brass based on friend's recommendations.

I tend to like hoppier beers (IPAs, session IPAs, double IPAs. I also like belgian tripples, saisons, sours. Also porters, imperial porters, imperial stouts, especially if barrel aged and not terribly sweet. Any new breweries or beers I should look for? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Ha! Just got back from Portland a little over a week ago for the second time since my original post. I would say you can't go wrong with Hair of the Dog, Cascade and Upright in terms of breweries. Maybe throw The Commons in there too. Locals will chime in with some more maybe. Since you're going to Apex and Horse Brass I'd say keep an eye out for anything from Fort George (Astoria), Block 15 (Corvallis) and Boneyard (Bend). In fact, those three have a collaboration IPA in cans going right now that is very nice.

mtbr member
    Portlander here...The brewers Carl Hangus mentioned (Boneyard, Fort George and Block 15) are definitely making very high quality beer, and their collaboration (3-Way IPA) is excellent. I'd say my current favorite Portland brewers are...Ecliptic, Breakside and Gigantic.

Lately some of my favorite drinking establishments are the tap rooms and bottle shops. Tin Shed, Bottles, Belmont Station and the Green Dragon.

Outside of Portland...Pfriem Family Brewers, Double Mountain, Boneyard, Fort Gorge, Block 15 and Walking Man are all favorites.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Seattle is okay, but God, I miss Portland...

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Late to the party...

dsnow23, you *should* have visited NWIPA (NWIPA | IPA Tasting room with craft beer to go!) in FoPo. They always have a good selection of local high-alpha stuff -- and usually have a Barley Brown on tap. Mmmm....Pallet Jack....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    dsnow23, you *should* have visited NWIPA (NWIPA | IPA Tasting room with craft beer to go!) in FoPo. They always have a good selection of local high-alpha stuff -- and usually have a Barley Brown on tap. Mmmm....Pallet Jack....
    Wow! NWIPA must be doing really well to not be open on the 4th, one of the busiest drinking weekends of the years. Looks like a cool local growler place.

Beer Please!
    I can Support the suggestions for Fort George Brewery, great stuff! I was able to taste the Mozaic IPA they made this year, fantastic stuff, grab some if you can find it.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Clueless Bastard

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've visited Portland a lot of times for beercations. My picks, in order:

1. Hair of the Dog
    2. Cascade
    3. Upright
    4. Commons
    5. Deschutes

I haven't been to a lot of them, of course, but I am pretty confident my list wouldn't change if I did. If you go to Hair of the Dog, order the "From the Wood" option every time, and I highly suggest skipping the 'normal' taps to work the vintage menu instead. Prepare to spend a bit of money but be rewarded for it. I'm not a big fan of Fred or Doggie Claws fresh, but both are amazing as older vintages. Adam is amazing at any age.

Also, Apex and Belmont Station are must-stops for drinking and picking up bottles (Belmont's entire inventory is on their website too)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cascade Brewing Barrel House
    Hopworks Urban Brewery
    Burnside Brewing
    Base Camp Brewing

PULL
    Might not be close to Portland but I love me some Ninkasi!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast