Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    endorphin junkie

Best Denver brewery I've never heard of?

I'm heading to Denver tomorrow and will be there for a week. I'll be doing 3 full days of mountain biking and then business meetings.

Since craft beer is almost as good as mountain biking, I will of course be hitting up some breweries.

My question, to anybody who lives in Denver or has extensive knowledge, What is the one brewery I may have never heard of, but shouldn't miss, and why?

Assume that Boulder is as far as I'll get (I'm staying in Centennial).

Already on my list:
    Boulder: Avery & Twisted Pine
    Golden: Golden Brewing & Cannonball Creek (because it's opening on Saturday!)
    Denver: Denver Beer Co, Breckenridge, Strange, Wynkoop, Great Divide
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Beer Please!
    Odell's and Funk Werks

Check out this thread for more details:

Beer/Camping road trip to Colorado

telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

endorphin junkie
    Hey, that's a great thread, right up until the part where you ended up in the hospital. How are you doing? Still planning the trip for this coming year?
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Paper Mill Aleworks
    ...and while at Funk Werks, check out Crooked Stave.
    Also be on the look out for a visit to Upslope, Dry Dock, and Twisted Pine.
    Also keep and eye out for tap selections from some of the more Southern/Northern state producser, like: Bristol, Trinity, Elevation, and Grimm Bros.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

650b me
    If you can manage going a little further than Boulder, just up the road in Lyons you can't miss Oskar Blues.

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    Already on my list:
    Damn you! I live in Golden and I have been eagerly awaiting the opening of Cannonball Creek. Wouldn't you know it, I'm going to be out of town this weekend, so you're going to beat me there. At least one of those guys is from Mountain Sun in Boulder, which is another one you could check out.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm heading to Denver tomorrow and will be there for a week. I'll be doing 3 full days of mountain biking and then business meetings.

Since craft beer is almost as good as mountain biking, I will of course be hitting up some breweries.

My question, to anybody who lives in Denver or has extensive knowledge, What is the one brewery I may have never heard of, but shouldn't miss, and why?

Assume that Boulder is as far as I'll get (I'm staying in Centennial).

Already on my list:
    Those are some good ones. Like sours? Crooked Stave (was in Funk Works Fort Collins Now Denver). Dry Dock is a good one. Great Divide is solid, Wynkoop has great food as well. John Hickenlooper our current Gubna is one of the founders and owners actually.
    Wynkoop Brewing Company

Avery in Boulder is great, but don't be expecting a great Brewery experience since they have like 5 different spots in an industrial park they brew now. 2 years they will have a sweet spot northeast of town in Gunbarrel.

Fort Collins: New Belgium is always great and solid tour/tasters, Odell, FunkWorks, Equinox Brewery are also awesome. Great Beer bars in Fort Collins include The Mayor (100 handles) Choice City Butcher and Deli (40 handles and 200+ cellar beers for sale in the cooler), and Black Bottle brewery (40 handles). Coopersmiths has great pub food (my kids and wife love it) but some say the beer is meh. I love the CASK PUNJABI and can drink that stuff all day long.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There's a new brewery in Boulder named Sanitas. Not sure if they are open yet, but they will be worth checking out when they are. Two guys from Boulder Brewing are starting it.

Bull and Bush was my old go to for a while in Glendale (south east Denver). Nice place to check out, good beer, and english pub grub.

There's also some great beer bars
    Falling Rock of course
    Rack House at the Stranahans distillery is one of my favorites. Great food and beer selection
    Ale House at Amatos- good food, beer, and great view of downtown
    Freshcraft
    Cheeky Monk
    Yard Houses, one on 16th street and another in the CO mills mall. Great happy hour.

I <3 NM
    You should add:

Left Hand
    Dry Dock
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Also add:

Renegade
    Prost
    Mountain Sun (Vine Street in Denver, northern and southern in Boulder)

mtbr member
    Skip Denver Beer Company...they have an awesome location, but the beer isn't very good. It looks like you're pretty set on brewery choices (don't miss Great Divide). But for beer bars...

1. Falling Rock Tap House – The ****. 75+ beers on tap and 130+ bottles. Most beer nerds who come to Denver stop here first
    2. Freshcraft – Pretty much my favorite beer bar in Denver (and they happen to have great food as well). Their rotating taps feature nearly every limited availability beer Colorado has to offer
    3. Star Bar – One of the oldest beer bars in Denver. They have it all. They often have tap takeovers from Rogue, New Belgium, Ska, etc.
    4. Euclid Hall – This isn’t the cheapest spot to grab a beer, but if you’re seeking beer and food pairings, this is probably the best spot in Denver. They also lay claim to beers you can’t find anywhere else in the Mile High City
    5. The Cheeky Monk – If you have a hankering for Belgium beers, this is the spot
    6. Backcountry Pizza & Tap House, Boulder. This place is amazing. Just an astounding number of rotating, seasonal taps from Colorado and around the country

mtbr member
    Also, on the thread of breweries to check out you haven't heard of...I've heard good things about Our Mutual Friend Malt & Brew...haven't gotten over there yet, but I've got some buddies who like it: Our Mutual Friend Malt & Brew

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncampbell View Post
    Skip Denver Beer Company...they have an awesome location...
    And the best scenery of just about any brewery in DEN.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Skip DBC

As others have said, Denver Beer Co is not worth the stop unless you're in the neighborhood and can't make it anywhere else. Some of my favorite, less well known:

Wit's End
    Black Shirt
    Dads and Dudes (their Dank IPA is brewed and tapped at Prost)
    River North Brewing

And all of the above are within a few miles of one another and near downtown Denver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hops and Pies in northwest denver has the best selection of tap beers I have found anywhere..

For better or worse, they are constantly changing, no tap is dedicated to anything. I like some of the others but most of them (ale house, euclid) only have typically one or two rotating handles.

I would second Renegade and River North.

I would agree skip Denver Beer CO.

One I have been wanting to check out it True Brewing on Broadway (they spell it TRVE).. I have heard good things, but haven't made it yet.

Beer Please!
    Hey, that's a great thread, right up until the part where you ended up in the hospital. How are you doing? Still planning the trip for this coming year?
    I am doing much better now thanks! I still have not gotton back on my bike. My surgeon said I could ride if I stay on flat smooth surfaces, anything that won't "Jostle my back around".

Knowing myself I would have a hard time sticking to that rule so I have just left my bike locked up where it is... I am getting another CT Scan done in April, and that will give me a better indicator of the healing in my aorta. I am hoping that the growth of the dissection has stopped, and Scar tissue has started growing, then I can possibly start more aggressive exercise, for now I can go for walks, and that is about it.

I do hope to get out to Colorado and do this trip that we had been planning, possibly this coming September around the time of our anniversary again.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

endorphin junkie
    Wow, that's a lot of suggestions to skip Denver Beer Co... guess I'll take that to heart. Thanks for the other suggestions. Renegade in particular sounds right up my alley. Can't hit 'em up Sunday after Buffalo Creek, they close too early. Will see what shakes out later this week. For what it's worth, I like to visit breweries/tap rooms rather than the beer bars, since time is limited. On future visits I'd love to check out some of these awesome establishments. One of my favorite places at home is Thirsty Monk, one of the top rated beer bars in the southeast.
    T.S. Eliot

endorphin junkie
    Trip ain't over yet, but here's the list so far:
    Friday: Still in Asheville at lunch before going to airport: Ska Pale Ale (really enjoyed it; ironic because I didn't know Ska is based in CO)
    Saturday: Twisted Pine and Avery
    Sunday: Wynkoop
    Monday: Cannonball Creek, GCB and a couple Breckenridge @ Amatto's downtown
    Tuesday: Lone Tree and Bull & Bush ("What's Yours?")

Tried samplers of nearly every beer at all these, 'cept Twisted where I did the seasonals only and Avery which has too many... had to be selective.

Top 3 so far, purely for beer tasting:
    1) Bull & Bush
    2) Wynkoop
    3) Twisted Pine

Top 3 so far, for overall experience/ambiance
    1) Bull & Bush <-- by far
    2) Twisted Pine (the music did it)
    3) Wynkoop (the food did it)

I so want to put Avery on my top 3 because I have a friend who works for them. Just can't... they've got a lot of unique styles and are very creative, but the beer quality or excitement level just isn't there. Exception to this noted below.

Best beer: I couldn't even begin to pick one.
    Most unique (to me): Avery Brewing Company Boulder Weiss w/ Cherry Syrup
    Unexpected treat: Bull &Bush "Dobobock" - not only was it really good, my last name is Dobo (hence Dobovedo username), which is Hungarian in origin.
    Missed opportunity: Wynkoops Rocky Mountain Oysters... they were "spent".
    Unexpected bonus: Scored a couple cans of Oskar Blues beers from the bike shop next door when I stopped in and chatted with the shopkeep. Good guys!

Other thoughts: a lot of the smaller breweries I've been to so far are very true to styles, which is neither good nor bad, or maybe a bit of both. On the plus side, the beers are very good to excellent examples. On the downside, they lack creativity and true "craft" as far as innovation goes. Just personal preference, but I like to try beers that are "out there" and push the boundaries.

The week ain't over yet. I've got two more evenings. Still on my list are Renegade, Strange, and... ?
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Glad to hear you liked Bull and Bush. I used to live near there and my bike commute was frequently interrupted by pit stops into their establishment. I like that it's dark, I like dark bars, and it's not trying to be something that every other bar is trying to be.

For the rest of the week, I'd check out Prost, since it's on the same side of town as Strange and Renegade.

Also, check out the Rackhouse at Stranahan's and tour the distillery. Rackhouse has a great beer selection, 30+ taps of mostly CO beers and a killer menu (get the mac and cheese side). It's also pretty close to the Breck Brewery production facility on Kalamath which could be good for a tasting/tour.

Otherwise, I'd also try to make a trip to Freshcraft and/or Falling Rock.

Oh, and the Denver Brewing CO is not that bad, especially if you like more creative/different/non-traditional styles of beer. They are on a pretty small system and do a lot of experimentation.
    Last edited by bipolarbear; 01-23-2013 at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post

For the rest of the week, I'd check out Prost, since it's on the same side of town as Strange and Renegade.

Also, check out the Rackhouse at Stranahan's and tour the distillery. Rackhouse has a great beer selection, 30+ taps of mostly CO beers and a killer menu (get the mac and cheese side). It's also pretty close to the Breck Brewery production facility on Kalamath which could be good for a tasting/tour.

Otherwise, I'd also try to make a trip to Freshcraft and/or Falling Rock.
    good suggestions, however, Rackhouse does not have 30 taps, maybe 20??? I like that place but find they don't rotate their beer much, many of the taps are always the same.

Freshcraft and Hops and Pies seem to be the only two places that have all taps rotating. I had friends in town this weekend and we hit both, they were amazed by the beer selections at both. We also hit TRUE Brewing, we were disappointed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i would really recommend a taphouse.. While you may not get the brewery vibe, you may well be able to get 3 or 4 or 8 different Colorado brews checked off the list in one night.. have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    good suggestions, however, Rackhouse does not have 30 taps, maybe 20??? I like that place but find they don't rotate their beer much, many of the taps are always the same.

Freshcraft and Hops and Pies seem to be the only two places that have all taps rotating. I had friends in town this weekend and we hit both, they were amazed by the beer selections at both. We also hit TRUE Brewing, we were disappointed.
    Yeah, I haven't been there in a while, but last time we were there they were in the process of expanding their tap selection. Their website states that they have a selection of 30 beers on tap, however, it also says 20 in another spot (maybe the OP can verify ) . Either way, I've always been pretty impressed and I like the food there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rackhouse selection of COLORADO DRAFTS:

AC Golden Colorado Native Amber Lager (6.5%)
    Avery IPA (6.5%)
    *Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA (10.3%)
    *Avery Czar Imperial Stout (10.0%)
    *Breckenridge Holidale Stranahan’s Aged Winter Ale (7.4%)
    Colorado Cider Company Dry Cider (6.95%)
    *Crazy Mountain Boohai Red Ale (6.0%)
    *Crooked Stave Petite Sour (4.8%)
    Dry Dock U-Boat Hefeweizen (4.3%)
    Dry Dock Apricot Blonde (5.1%)
    *Elk Mountain Black IPA (7.1%)
    *Grand Teton Black Cauldron Imperial Stout (8.0%)
    *Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti (9.5%)
    Great Divide Colette Farmhouse Ale (7.3%)
    Grimm Brothers Snow Drop Wheat (5.2%)
    Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout (6.0%)
    *Left Wake up Dead Imperial Stout (9.0%)
    Left Hand Fade to Black Vol. 4 Black Ale (6.5%)
    *Left Hand Pro-AM 2012 Java Lava (7.3%)
    *New Belgium Lips of Faith Biere de Garde (9.0%)
    *New Belgium Trippel (7.8%)
    *Odell Brewing Myrcenary (9.3%)
    Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale (8.0%)
    *Prost Pilsner (4.8%)
    Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi IPA (6.8%)
    *Strange Brew Pumpkin Porter (7.0%)
    *Tivoli Brewing Tivoli Helles Lager (5.1%)
    Upslope Craft Lager (4.8%)
    *Wit’s End Jean Claude van Blonde (5.5%)

Pretty decent selection IMHO and they'll be tapping some DFH 60 minute today it appears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Yeah, I haven't been there in a while, but last time we were there they were in the process of expanding their tap selection. Their website states that they have a selection of 30 beers on tap, however, it also says 20 in another spot (maybe the OP can verify ) . Either way, I've always been pretty impressed and I like the food there.
    Maybe they have expanded their selection..good to know.

Food is really good there. I go mondays sometimes for a burger and it comes with a free beer and comes with a side of mac and cheese. They also have poker night on Mondays, free buy in and you can win a gift card for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, I am 2 for 3 so far..

This thread makes me realize how lucky we are to have such good food and drink in the area... and biking!

mtbr member
    I would (again) recommend Freshcraft. Good food, and best beer selection in LODO (lower downtown). Star Bar is another good one...I'm surprised you liked Twisted Pine...and Wynkoop for that matter, but hey, you like what you like...Euclid Hall is also worth a stop if you're looking for great food and beer.

You must not like sours or barrel aged beers if you're unimpressed by Avery. They're one of the top brewers out there for both...the best time to visit Avery is during the annual Sour Fest (if you're into that sort of thing).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast