Beer Please!

Best Beer City 2013 Online Poll

Well, they are at it again, and this time it looks like a large number of Grand Rapids Fan Boys are trying to get that city to the top.

https://polldaddy.com/poll/7078031/

Funny that people think something like this actually means something.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Yeah, that poll doesn't really mean anything. Looking at the poll, I really can't look at it and say much about the beer available in the cities, especially compared to each other. I might know specifically of a couple breweries in each one, and some I don't know anything about. There should be some additional information provided, like total number of breweries, breweries per capita, number of award-winning beers and breweries, something.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Yeah, that poll doesn't really mean anything. Looking at the poll, I really can't look at it and say much about the beer available in the cities, especially compared to each other. I might know specifically of a couple breweries in each one, and some I don't know anything about. There should be some additional information provided, like total number of breweries, breweries per capita, number of award-winning beers and breweries, something.
    While that is a fantastic idea, it would point out just how much better San Diego, Portland and the Greater Denver area are than the rest of the Nation.....
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    While that is a fantastic idea, it would point out just how much better San Diego, Portland and the Greater Denver area are than the rest of the Nation.....
    wouldn't that be the point? showing quite clearly what the best cities really are?

Maybe have different categories that don't rely on popular vote. Rank them by quantifiable metrics.

Most beers ranked over 90 on BA.
    Most breweries.
    Most breweries per capita.
    Most awards at the previous GABF.

"Best Overall" would then be the one with consistently high rankings in the most categories.

It appears that the creator of that above poll is a journalist of some sort. Trying to take the lazy way out in writing an article?

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    wouldn't that be the point? showing quite clearly what the best cities really are?
    I honestly do not think that is the point of most of these online polls, they tend to be created and published in a certain market just to get the locals to vote for it. Look at how Ashville won the award for best beer city so many times in a row by a poll created by one of the local online publications..... total scam. Perhaps if every single brewery in the nation knew about the poll and was able to post it up on their facebook and twitter feed at the same time so all fans of craft beer in all markets knew about it at the same time, AND all that info you posted about was available..... even then it is just a random poll with no way to track who is voting, etc.