Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 148
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,476

    Beer and your manhood

    Who is bugged about the deleterious effect of beer on testosterone? Do you guys just ignore this fact?
    Nobody cares...........

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    130
    Um, living a reasonably healthy lifestyle, not swilling enormous amount of cheap beer,
    enjoying the good stuff in moderation, not fretting too much!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,670
    Why has the Beer Forum turned into the anti-beer forum?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    75
    Oh, just man the heck up. I am 60, and if I could ever catch a cute one, me thinks that ain't the problem. My wife told me to go to the doc and get some of those pills that would help improve our sex life. When I brought her home some diet pills, I was moved out to the couch.

  5. #5
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Who is bugged about the deleterious effect of beer on testosterone? Do you guys just ignore this fact?
    ignorance is (drunken) bliss
    always mad and usually drunk......

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bald_Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Who is bugged about the deleterious effect of beer on testosterone? Do you guys just ignore this fact?
    It's not a fact. Just ask your friendly neighborhood search engine.

    Sent from my bout of Lagunitas-induced anti-self-righteousness
    "A thing is right when it tends to perserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise." - Aldo Leopold

  7. #7
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,885
    Something tells me the OP watches too much T.V.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    816
    Somehow the species continues to procreate even though beer has been a part of life for thousands of generations.
    There is another prolific poster that leans towards hysterical fear of phyto-estrogens. Perhaps the two of you should meet and have tea or coffee.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    541
    This study showed that ~3 beers a day for three weeks resulted in a 6.8% decrease in plasma testosterone levels. /yawn

    Effect of moderate alcohol consumption ... [Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    696
    Those who worry about beer reducing their "manhood", are those men who do not have manhood to spare in the first place. The rest of us drink beer so as to bring us down to the level of mortal men. Without doing this, you pathetic, low testosterone weaklings would burst into tear on sight, and us real men do not enjoy the sounds of sobbing man babies who's genitalia has long since been removed.

    Cheers!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    130
    Need a shot of testosterone?
    Go swing a McLeod or clean some drains on the trails.

  12. #12
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Who is bugged about the deleterious effect of beer on testosterone? Do you guys just ignore this fact?
    So what you are saying is that drinking beer is taking my manhood away.

    Now the real question is what robbed you of yours?

  13. #13
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,746
    I'd still love beer even if I had a vagina.

  14. #14
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    It scares the hell out of me...so I compensate by wrestling bears, eating glass, and driving a tank.

    Science!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  15. #15
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    It scares the hell out of me...so I compensate by wrestling bears, eating glass, and driving a tank.

    Science!
    This.





    Also to the OP, Drinking in moderation will not reduce a mans testosterone. If it was truly an issue men would of stopped being able to make babies a long time ago. You do realize beer has been around longer than trumped up studies.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  16. #16
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Why has the Beer Forum turned into the anti-beer forum?
    YES!!!
    I F-ing Love the daylights out of beer. I drink 2 beers a night on average, One of the most enjoyable things in life.

    Screw the studies, pass me a pint.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    435
    I'm in my mid 40's and have been drinking beer for damn near 25 years. Still hornier than a 30 peckered billy goat.

  18. #18
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    I'm in my mid 40's and have been drinking beer for damn near 25 years. Still hornier than a 30 peckered billy goat.

    You know what they say, "the older the bull, the stiffer the horn".

  19. #19
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    I have plenty of testosterone to spare. Drinking beer and hanging on Pinterest and Etsy help me to get in touch with my feminine side.

  20. #20
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
    Um, living a reasonably healthy lifestyle, not swilling enormous amount of cheap beer,
    enjoying the good stuff in moderation, not fretting too much!
    I totally agree! With all the great beers out there, there is ZERO reason to drink anything but the good stuff!

  21. #21
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Who is bugged about the deleterious effect of beer on testosterone? Do you guys just ignore this fact?
    Don't bother. As you can see from the responses, bringing up any of the negative health facts about beer will get you personally attacked and there will be weak and laughable attempts to try to brand you as a troll. The true believers over-worshiping daily at the the Altar of the Golden Hops just don't want to see, hear or speak anything bad about their true love: beer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beer and your manhood-see-no-evil.jpg  


  22. #22
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    ^^Oh snap! Right on time. Seems tl1 has a new playmate to help disseminate anti-beer propaganda in the BEER forum. Good show!

    As for my testosterone level, I find a good night out on the town chasing skirts and fighting cops while choking lions for sport seems to align the planets enough that I don't worry too much. Though I am a bit concerned that I have taken to crossing my legs in a feminine fashion as of late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  23. #23
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Don't bother. As you can see from the responses, bringing up any of the negative health facts about beer will get you personally attacked and there will be weak and laughable attempts to try to brand you as a troll. The true believers over-worshiping daily at the the Altar of the Golden Hops just don't want to see, hear or speak anything bad about their true love: beer.
    TL1 I hope you do not feel that I have personally attacked you....personally.

    My suggestion to you would be to reduce your headstrong fervor against beer in a sub-forum that is specifically devoted to it. Its not your opinion that result in you being branded "troll" its the imprudent persistence, and obstinate refusal to let bygones be bygones . You do present some interesting facts, and I can respect for your undauntable drive to educate us on the health risks of beer; but I fail to comprehend why MTBR's BEER sub-forum is the ground on which you chose to make your stand.

    You will not convince me, and probably most others; to stop drinking beer because of these studies. Loosen up a bit and these threads won't be blown as out of proportion.

    Think of us as your crazy buddies that are fun to hang out with, but you probably aren't going to change.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  24. #24
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Don't bother. As you can see from the responses, bringing up any of the negative health facts about beer will get you personally attacked and there will be weak and laughable attempts to try to brand you as a troll. The true believers over-worshiping daily at the the Altar of the Golden Hops just don't want to see, hear or speak anything bad about their true love: beer.
    First off...I think you're swell.

    Secondly, I would imagine if there was a "toothpaste" forum on these boards, you'd be wreaking havoc over there as well. Right?
    Heavy metals, pesticides, fluoride, chlorine and estrogen-mimicking chemicals are...and have been...manipulating the receptor sites in our endocrine systems for decades.
    These days, the average testosterone level of an adult male is 400-500 ng/dL (nano grams per deciliter), with the total possible range between 200-800ng/dL, barring outliers. However, these numbers are shockingly low when you realize that barely 100 years ago, the range of testosterone in adult males was 800-2000 ng/dL.
    Trust me...moderate recreational beer drinking is not the issue...human nature and bad consumerism is.
    I'm with you on being a proponent of a "healthy" lifestyle, but you're barking up the wrong tree by attacking beer. Anyone with enough of a drinking problem in which beer alone is sapping estrogen levels is a farce, at that point it's an overall lifestyle issue, beer is just fractional component.

    I'm not sure if you were touched by beer inappropriately as a young child, but it would explain a bit.

    Carry on...
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  25. #25
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    945

    We (heart) you, TL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Think of us as your crazy buddies that are fun to hang out with, but you probably aren't going to change.
    Or maybe, in keeping with the holiday spirit, you can think of us as your drunkles who tell really funny jokes then pass out on your front lawn after dinner.



    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I'm not sure if you were touched by beer inappropriately as a young child, but it would explain a bit.
    And maybe we touched you just a little bit.

  26. #26
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    TL1 I hope you do not feel that I have personally attacked you....personally.

    My suggestion to you would be to reduce your headstrong fervor against beer in a sub-forum that is specifically devoted to it. Its not your opinion that result in you being branded "troll" its the imprudent persistence, and obstinate refusal to let bygones be bygones . You do present some interesting facts, and I can respect for your undauntable drive to educate us on the health risks of beer; but I fail to comprehend why MTBR's BEER sub-forum is the ground on which you chose to make your stand.

    You will not convince me, and probably most others; to stop drinking beer because of these studies. Loosen up a bit and these threads won't be blown as out of proportion.

    Think of us as your crazy buddies that are fun to hang out with, but you probably aren't going to change.
    Oh brother. Here's a fact for your perusal: the more the people here deny the facts and try to brand people presenting health facts about beer as "anti-beer", or "tin-foil hat wearers" and so on, the more it activates my desire to present the facts. That's because "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” If that annoys anyone here that is their problem not mine. I'm not trying to stop anyone from drinking beer or trying win converts or to make beer drinking friends or outlaw alcohol or "make a stand" or whatever else the fevered imaginations around here come up with. I'm simply presenting the information.

    I'm not "anti-beer", I'm drinking one right now. I'm basically just saying that it's another straw on the camel's back among all the other carcinogens and endocrine disruptors we're continually exposed to when you consume beer at levels greater than the drinking guidelines based on the latest information. There are many carcinogens and endocrine disruptors that can't be avoided, this one can. To me it doesn't seem to be something that should provoke the backlash of hysteria that it does, but it does. I could care less.

  27. #27
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    TL1 I hope you do not feel that I have personally attacked you....personally.
    Almost forgot. No I don't think you attacked me personally. Others have though and that was probably after they had a few beers and their thinking ability had been shut down.

  28. #28
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,885
    ^^^ tl1, I got bad news for you, we all die. You just choose the path to get there. My path is not your path. I don't need you telling me how to get there.

  29. #29
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    We're not annoyed by the facts. We're annoyed by you constantly pointing out the facts in every thread that has the least bit touch on health. We get it, more than1-2 beers a day is deleterious to our health; we choose to make choices that negatively affect our health, you do not. Congrats, now, run along Sally, the adults are trying to have a conversation about one of our favorite things and don't need to keep being reminded that it's killing us since we already have a pretty good idea about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651
    Sure the beer might slow me down a bit.... but a nice bottle of wine for MojoWife and she starts to warm up. It's all good, Baby!

  31. #31
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/K5zYPFf4sz4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/K5zYPFf4sz4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

  32. #32
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    ^^^ tl1, I got bad news for you, we all die. You just choose the path to get there. My path is not your path. I don't need you telling me how to get there.
    Exactly where did I tell you or anyone to do anything? The fevered imaginations are at work again, have another beer pal.

  33. #33
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Almost forgot. No I don't think you attacked me personally. Others have though and that was probably after they had a few beers and their thinking ability had been shut down.
    I dunno about that, but I think your thinking ability was shut down when you came in to the beer forum trolling.

  34. #34
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,673
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Who is bugged about the deleterious effect of beer on testosterone? Do you guys just ignore this fact?
    I just drink strong beer (<7%+ ABV) daily (I simply will NOT drink cheap-ass swill brew ) and do lots of Z3/Z4 riding when not drinking. Oh, and I eat well (cannot remember the last time I ate junk/fast food—it’s been a number of years) too—lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. My d¡ck is still in proper working condition—I’m only 42—perhaps time will tell a different story.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  35. #35
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I just drink strong beer (<7%+ ABV) daily (I simply will NOT drink cheap-ass swill brew ) and do lots of Z3/Z4 riding when not drinking. Oh, and I eat well (cannot remember the last time I ate junk/fast food—it’s been a number of years) too—lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. My d¡ck is still in proper working condition—I’m only 42—perhaps time will tell a different story.
    It's your chin I would worry about
    did the beer cause the ummmmmm DROP



    Still in the top 10 avatars in my opinion
    drink on you bad as

    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,611
    This thread makes me want to cry in my beer.

  37. #37
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    This thread makes me want to cry in my beer.
    Or "rub one out" in some Debbie Downer's Cheerios.



    (sorry, I just learned the term "rub one out" from my buddies. I think it's heeelarious)

    (p.s., the mis-spelling of the word hilarious above was done intentionally to add comic effect. It was not related to drinking too much of the Devil's Liquid)

    (p.p.s.,for those not-in-the-rub-one-out-know, this article may help)
    Last edited by dirt farmer; 12-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.

  38. #38
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    ^^This post brought to you by the letter Deschutes and the number 10Barrels in conjunction with at least two truck stop growlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  39. #39
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I just drink strong beer (<7%+ ABV) daily
    You consider less than 7% to be strong beer?

    "Or did you mean >7%"

    Just saying.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ancient rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    It's your chin I would worry about
    did the beer cause the ummmmmm DROP



    Still in the top 10 avatars in my opinion
    drink on you bad as

    Sj
    The guy is as wild as his avatar ! We ride together regularly. We talked on the trail about the beer and cancer/pancreatic deal before I started that stupid thread. LP alway's remember to ... Keep a Stiff Upper Lip or Keep Your Chin Up
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,476
    Couple of things: I don't think alcohol content has anything to do with the affect on T levels. How many beer devotes also race? My understanding is that beer is unique among alcoholic beverages.

    The main reason I started this thread was due to the oddity of having a beer forum here in the first place. I suppose this site consist of a VERY broad range of members. The sites I compare it to are primarily MMA\MA\boxing and weight lifting sites. Those sites take a very critical stance on beer all due to the negative affects associated with pursuit of the sport(s) in question. I just find it interesting the number of people herein that don't care about the outcome of beer consumption.

    I don't give a darn if you guys drink every day. That's just me, I don't care if you smoke, drink, ram each other in the ass etc and so on. Just an observation that I find it odd so many herein drink beer and seem to also aspire to be fast on a bike. I suppose that last point is where I got off track. How many of you are in the upper echelon of your peers
    on race day and still are OK with regular consumption of beer?

    PS: Why don't some of you sling some more derogatory insults my way, my self esteem is high enough that your "insults" roll right off my back.

    PS2: To the person giving me a negative rep and the comment "dbag dingleberry" over starting this thread. Come on, are you so small minded you can't endure discourse on this topic without resorting to name calling? Why aren't you man enough to set me straight and tell me where I am wrong? I started this thread with serious intent. You might want to get a hormone panel and see if all that beer has caused you a problem.
    Nobody cares...........

  42. #42
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Most of the fastest people around me are the heavy drinkers. I drink as much or more and still can't seem to keep pace. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  43. #43
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Sometimes I ride faster because I can't wait to crack a beer at the end of my ride. I don't race so I really can't answer the real question.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    130
    While competition is certainly a part of mountain biking, I think having fun, is an equally large part of it,
    and many of us cherish this part of it to the exclusion of racing. Beer is also fun, so has a cross-connection on this site.

    While MMA and Lifting might be fun for some, I think the competitive aspect of these is a much greater draw and interest for their "devotees" than the "fun" aspect. I'm sure websites for these sports have sections which would leave most of us scratching our heads.

    I'm not knocking the importance of having competition in our lives,(I meself prefer the grueling strain of Pub Darts) but it might explain to you why practitioners of a seemingly intense athletic endeavor,
    might also like to crack a cold one now and again. And blather on about it in our own little corner of the bar. If it puts a stupid, happy grin on your face it might be discussed on MTBR.com. Beer and biking both kinda fit the bill.

    And isn't laughter the best medicine?

  45. #45
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  46. #46
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,673
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You consider less than 7% to be strong beer?

    "Or did you mean >7%"

    Just saying.
    Uh, well, I was under the influence of alcohol (16% Schmaltz Brewing’s “Jewbelation 16”) at the time I typed that. I did actually mean at least rather than less than.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  47. #47
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    maybe I will give up beer than
    I has some mead this summer that was delicious and would lay you on your ars








    never mind I cant afford that and it would cut into my bike budget



    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

  48. #48
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post

    The main reason I started this thread was due to the oddity of having a beer forum here in the first place. I suppose this site consist of a VERY broad range of members. The sites I compare it to are primarily MMA\MA\boxing and weight lifting sites. Those sites take a very critical stance on beer all due to the negative affects associated with pursuit of the sport(s) in question. I just find it interesting the number of people herein that don't care about the outcome of beer consumption.

    Why is it so odd?
    Ever notice how even a lot of bike shops sell beer?
    Bikes and beer go hand in hand.
    It has nothing yo do with health, but in the beginning neither did riding bikes.
    Even today, it has nothing to do with health for some people and for them, it just happens to be a good side affect.

    For me it is part health, part fun.
    I do it for a fun way to to get a little healthier so I can make the unhealthy choices in my life without turning in to a big blob.

    You can choose to deny yourself all the simple pleasures in life so you can live longer or you can choose to enjoy them and just live.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    906
    chas - you have a strange way about you. You certainly judge others by your own (obviously incredibly high) standards. It isn't your standards or your views that are annoying people here, but the fact you are judging them.

    I've met a lot of people in the fighting and lifting worlds who imbibed far more nasty and mood-changing substances than beer, so your comparison there is a little flawed - they have different poisons.

    Why is racing the only thing one does on a bike? I don't race, I don't like it, it does nothing for me, it doesn't flick my switch. I like riding a bike. I like exploring on a bike, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. I like to pass the time of day with those fellow cyclists when we do ride together, I like to stop and admire where I am, I sometimes ride and stop off at a pub (in England we can do these things). It doesn't make me a lesser man to most, but they don't judge me on my podium places or how many of my per group I can beat down.

    I like cake too. We sometimes take home made cake and flapjack out and share it when we stop on a ride. Cake is for winners, even winners who race.

    I'm such a bad person. I think the other bad people here do care about the potential effects of alcohol (not just beer) consumption. However, they can put it in context and seem to get along just fine and are happy with their station in life.

  50. #50
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    I don't care if you...ram each other in the ass etc and so on.
    Whew...I feel better about this whole thing now.
    Thanks.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  51. #51
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Couple of things: I don't think alcohol content has anything to do with the affect on T levels. How many beer devotes also race? My understanding is that beer is unique among alcoholic beverages.

    The main reason I started this thread was due to the oddity of having a beer forum here in the first place. I suppose this site consist of a VERY broad range of members. The sites I compare it to are primarily MMA\MA\boxing and weight lifting sites. Those sites take a very critical stance on beer all due to the negative affects associated with pursuit of the sport(s) in question. I just find it interesting the number of people herein that don't care about the outcome of beer consumption.

    I don't give a darn if you guys drink every day. That's just me, I don't care if you smoke, drink, ram each other in the ass etc and so on. Just an observation that I find it odd so many herein drink beer and seem to also aspire to be fast on a bike. I suppose that last point is where I got off track. How many of you are in the upper echelon of your peers
    on race day and still are OK with regular consumption of beer?

    PS: Why don't some of you sling some more derogatory insults my way, my self esteem is high enough that your "insults" roll right off my back.

    PS2: To the person giving me a negative rep and the comment "dbag dingleberry" over starting this thread. Come on, are you so small minded you can't endure discourse on this topic without resorting to name calling? Why aren't you man enough to set me straight and tell me where I am wrong? I started this thread with serious intent. You might want to get a hormone panel and see if all that beer has caused you a problem.

    Chas chill bro, chill. Us beer forum regulars are just getting a bit tired of the common "beer is bad for you" threads. You just happened to post another one of these. Yes, beer may be bad for you in excess, but I still fail to believe that a beer a night is going to cause me any harm, and there is no convincing me otherwise. That being said, a lot of these threads digress in to petty arguments, where neither side will be convinced to change there stance on the subject. Like most of these threads I am guessing it will divulge in to poo flinging, and therefor after a few more days and I will likely be posting pictures of unicorns, narwhals, and cats to lighten the mood.

    As you yourself just stated; MTBR has an entire sub-forum devoted to beer. It is a staple in much of mountain biking culture. In fact some times it is required to drink alcoholic liquids in some of the single speed races I have attended. I race (less now than before) and have an average of 2 beers a night, weigh 155lbs with 5% body fat. I am the guy who regularly brings beers for post ride parking lot revelry, and have never met anyone who has said "no thanks man, it causes cancer" or "na man im watching my testosterone levels" I have however heard, "thanks but i don't drink" or "no thanks bud, I have a long drive" If these threads were more like how we would react in a parking lot post ride in reality, rather through our anonymous MTBR personas sitting in front of a computer, they would be much more enjoyable. I am game to talk about health risks of beer, I am just getting a bit tired of the negativity that is stemming from it.

    Here is a picture I took of an aid station I assisted at for a local race this summer. It was at the top of the worst climb, and dubbed "bacon hill" for the past 3 years, as the aid station provides bacon, doughnuts, bacon-doughnut sandwiches, coke, gue, beer, and for single speeders Jameson Whiskey. The guy who won the race this year did a wheelie, while taking a shot and eating a piece of bacon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beer and your manhood-0915121010a.jpg  

    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  52. #52
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    The guy who won the race this year did a wheelie, while taking a shot and eating a piece of bacon.
    Unpossible!

    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  53. #53
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    That race just made my short list of races to attend. I need details man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  54. #54
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Unpossible!
    I would have said the same if I hadn't seen it myself. There were witnesses. Oh and he got 3rd or 4th overall, but 1st in the Single Speed, should have specified.

    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    That race just made my short list of races to attend. I need details man!
    Solid race that connects a lot of my local trails. Probably will be competing next year, thought about it this year, but sitting around eating bacon, doughnuts and whiskey while watching others suffer sounded much more enjoyable.
    "40 in the Fort" - Annual Endurance Mountain Bike Race | Overland Mountain Bike Club
    Old promo video:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36911929?badge=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/36911929">40 in da Fort 3_3</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1490587">Singletrack Trails</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  55. #55
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Like most of these threads I am guessing it will divulge in to poo flinging, and therefor after a few more days and I will likely be posting pictures of unicorns, narwhals, and cats to lighten the mood.
    Sir, as a regular member of this forum, I am offended by your assertion.


  56. #56
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Sir, as a regular member of this forum, I am offended by your assertion.
    LOL,
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,651
    Peaty cracked a beer before he reached the end of his run at Windham this year...does he still hold the record for the most UCI world cup wins in any discipline?

  58. #58
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Couple of things: I don't think alcohol content has anything to do with the affect on T levels. How many beer devotes also race? My understanding is that beer is unique among alcoholic beverages.

    The main reason I started this thread was due to the oddity of having a beer forum here in the first place. I suppose this site consist of a VERY broad range of members. The sites I compare it to are primarily MMA\MA\boxing and weight lifting sites. Those sites take a very critical stance on beer all due to the negative affects associated with pursuit of the sport(s) in question. I just find it interesting the number of people herein that don't care about the outcome of beer consumption.

    I don't give a darn if you guys drink every day. That's just me, I don't care if you smoke, drink, ram each other in the ass etc and so on. Just an observation that I find it odd so many herein drink beer and seem to also aspire to be fast on a bike. I suppose that last point is where I got off track. How many of you are in the upper echelon of your peers
    on race day and still are OK with regular consumption of beer?

    PS: Why don't some of you sling some more derogatory insults my way, my self esteem is high enough that your "insults" roll right off my back.

    PS2: To the person giving me a negative rep and the comment "dbag dingleberry" over starting this thread. Come on, are you so small minded you can't endure discourse on this topic without resorting to name calling? Why aren't you man enough to set me straight and tell me where I am wrong? I started this thread with serious intent. You might want to get a hormone panel and see if all that beer has caused you a problem.
    As others have stated, Riding Bikes is not a competitive sport for most people who do so, it is just something they like to do for fun that also has good health side effects.

    Have you ever heard of doing a pub crawl by bike?

    Bikes n Beer have a major connection, yes you and a few others might take your biking very seriously and thus you feel that people who drink beer are just ruining their competitive edge, but really if we were pro racers we also would not be drinking beer like we do.

    You have to understand that your OP comes off a bit like you are a troll just trying to stir up a flame war. I know someone else who has made a habit of doing that in this sub-forum over the years.

    As to the negative rep, I always sign my negative and positive rep with my name. I think it shows weak character to attack someone like that without owning up to your words.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  59. #59
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Here's a good summary of alcohol's effects on your hormones, expanding beyond just your sex hormones. Cheers.

    Alcohol Alert From NIAAA

    Hormones are chemical messengers that control and coordinate the functions of all tissues and organs. Each hormone is secreted from a particular gland and distributed throughout the body to act on tissues at different sites. Two areas of the brain, the hypothalamus and the pituitary, release hormones, as do glands in other parts of the body, such as the thyroid, thyroid glands, gonads, pancreas, and parathyroid.

    For hormones to function properly, their amount and the timing of their release must be finely coordinated, and the target tissues must be able to respond to them accurately. Alcohol can impair the functions of the hormone-releasing glands and of the target tissues, thereby causing serious medical consequences.

    Hormones control four major areas of body function: production, utilization, and storage of energy; reproduction; maintenance of the internal environment (e.g., blood pressure and bone mass); and growth and development.

    This Alcohol Alert describes how, by interfering with hormone actions, alcohol can alter blood sugar levels and exacerbate or cause diabetes (1-4); impair reproductive functions (5,6); and interfere with calcium metabolism and bone structure, increasing the risk of osteoporosis (7). Conversely, hormones also may affect alcohol consumption by influencing alcohol-seeking behavior.
    Alcohol's Effects on Hormones

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    You have to understand that your OP comes off a bit like you are a troll just trying to stir up a flame war.
    I understand your point, I am not trolling. For the record I drink beer! I love beer. No, not as much as many herein but I love to drink a cool, I hope this is OK, Shiner Bock.

    I still want to know about the topic of this thread???????

    Why does everyone have to get so defensive? It was an honest question that was primarily motivated when it dawned on my the difference in attitude among a few of the boards I frequent. My gut tells me that mtbr is very much more diverse than the other boards I frequent.

    Still, why can't we just have a straightforward discussion without jumping to the conclusion that I am a troll? I am sorry but I don't buy that this sub-forum is all that troll ridden with people saying beer is unhealthy. My benchmark is the number of threads on the wheel/tire sub-forum arguing about the dangers of ghetto tubeless.
    Nobody cares...........

  61. #61
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    I understand your point, I am not trolling. For the record I drink beer! I love beer. No, not as much as many herein but I love to drink a cool, I hope this is OK, Shiner Bock.

    I still want to know about the topic of this thread???????

    Why does everyone have to get so defensive? It was an honest question that was primarily motivated when it dawned on my the difference in attitude among a few of the boards I frequent. My gut tells me that mtbr is very much more diverse than the other boards I frequent.

    Still, why can't we just have a straightforward discussion without jumping to the conclusion that I am a troll? I am sorry but I don't buy that this sub-forum is all that troll ridden with people saying beer is unhealthy. My benchmark is the number of threads on the wheel/tire sub-forum arguing about the dangers of ghetto tubeless.
    Frankly, I think the rabid defensiveness in this forum is simply because many people here have heavy drinking issues and they are tired of hearing complaints from friends and family about it. The last thing they want to hear in this forum are facts about the downside of alcohol use which are perceived as more of what friends, family and possibly employers and law enforcement are telling them. That and excessive alcohol use causes impaired brain function which makes a lot of people kind of dim-witted. Also, completely ignore Klugejr, everything that's not oblivious happy-talk about beer is a troll to him.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    I still want to know about the topic of this thread???????

    Why does everyone have to get so defensive?

    Still, why can't we just have a straightforward discussion without jumping to the conclusion that I am a troll?
    OK then - you came across as a troll - and you were judgemental. If you can't see that in your subsequent posts, then you need to understand a little more about how others might see you....

    Anyway - I'll bite. Can you please provide me with a link or two so I can understand why you think alcohol reduces my testosterone levels and why that might concern me. I will then look at that and give you a response to your question. I'd not heard of this concern before, so please provide me with what you know. Thanks.

  63. #63
    ako
    ako is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    25
    I am glad it reduces the big T.

    Been drinking since I was 15, got my third kid last week (now 34).

    Figure I would have 16 or 17 kids by now if it weren't for beer.

    Cheaper to buy beer than feed 17 kids.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,476
    Here are two:

    Hops Compound May Prevent Prostate Cancer

    Inhibition of testosterone synthesis by etha... [Alcohol. 1989 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

    I did not realize this topic was in dispute. Seems like it is settled in the medical community. The only thing open for discussion is "does it matter to the individual and to what degree is it true".

    I don't understand the need for me to do others research, but those of you that care
    can start here: (Use the search function.)

    Home - PubMed - NCBI

    or perhaps the Journal of Endocrinology or many other scholarly journals.

    The only things I find that are dismissive of the effect are people that "seem" to be biased in favor of beer and drink.

    @lulanok: what does watching TV have to do with this issue? Is there recent coverage about this? I would not know as I typically only use the TV for movies and for 1 or 2 very specific shows. We don't watch much TV around here, I'd rather spent thad time in the gym, on my bike or working. TV is pretty much a waste and/or for the brain dead IMO.

    @TooTallUK: Where, in my original post, was I "judgmental"? I never judged others for drinking beer, hell, I've admitted that I like beer. I will also admit I have greatly curtailed my drinking of ALL alcohol for health reasons. The fact is - I was reaching out to the one group on this board that I thought might have considered the issue. Seems like everyone jumped the gun and got all defensive instead of considering the obvious.
    Nobody cares...........

  65. #65
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    I did not realize this topic was in dispute.
    Here's some fun math based upon the study you linked.

    1.5g/kg alcohol intake as defined in your study requires that someone 175lbs drinks roughly 4 beers:

    Ethanol is 0.789g/ml. An average 12oz. (354.9ml) beer at 5% has approximately 14g of ethanol by the following calculation:

    354.9ml x 5% ethanol x 0.789g/ml = ~14g.

    In order to reach 1.5g/kg, a person weighing 175 lbs (79.38 kg) would have to drink:

    79.38kg / 1.5g/kg = 52.92 g of ethanol, or approximately 3.8 beers.




    Conversely, low amounts of alcohol may increase testosterone levels:

    Testosterone Increases in Men After a Low Dose of Alcohol - Sarkola - 2006 - Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research - Wiley Online Library


    Just some stuff to think about while drinking a beer.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom H View Post
    Oh, just man the heck up. I am 60, and if I could ever catch a cute one, me thinks that ain't the problem. My wife told me to go to the doc and get some of those pills that would help improve our sex life. When I brought her home some diet pills, I was moved out to the couch.
    Now, That's funny.
    J Lee

    2013 Trek Mamba
    2013 Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp

  67. #67
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Here's some fun math based upon the study you linked.

    1.5g/kg alcohol intake as defined in your study requires that someone 175lbs drinks roughly 4 beers:

    Ethanol is 0.789g/ml. An average 12oz. (354.9ml) beer at 5% has approximately 14g of ethanol by the following calculation:

    354.9ml x 5% ethanol x 0.789g/ml = ~14g.

    In order to reach 1.5g/kg, a person weighing 175 lbs (79.38 kg) would have to drink:

    79.38kg / 1.5g/kg = 52.92 g of ethanol, or approximately 3.8 beers.




    Conversely, low amounts of alcohol may increase testosterone levels:

    Testosterone Increases in Men After a Low Dose of Alcohol - Sarkola - 2006 - Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research - Wiley Online Library


    Just some stuff to think about while drinking a beer.
    Imagine that. Small amounts of alcohol drinking has some positive effects but heavy alcohol drinking greater than current guidelines has some very negative effects. Haven't we heard this somewhere before? Like a hundred times? And this simple message has generated angry and irrational resistance?

    Another dimension to this is that alcohol also increases estrogen levels in both men and women, that's why it's a breast cancer risk factor. I'm enjoying a delicious Bell's Winter White today as my daily testosterone and estrogen raiser.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    674
    Man, there are a lot of people here who need a beer.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    906
    You've referenced two research projects. Their subjects? Rats. RATS. Not human beings. I just thought I'd make that clear.

    I think the vast majority of people understand that heavy consumption of alcohol, of any kind, is bad for your health - as your drunken rat buddies demonstrate. All things in moderation. Apart from people trying to make valid points and referencing rats. That is just begging for abuse.

    I wasn't being lazy on the research front - I'd never heard of the 'issue' so wanted to know what had impressed upon you that this was a problem. i also couldn't find anything valid as far as research and evidence goes. Now I know. Rats.

  70. #70
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboyscout View Post
    man, there are a lot of people here who need a beer.
    true that!!!
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  71. #71
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    true that!!!
    Yeah I agree. I feel my nipples and breasts aren't quite perky enough. I better go get my beer/estrogen fix.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    You've referenced two research projects. Their subjects? Rats. RATS. Not human beings. I just thought I'd make that clear.

    I think the vast majority of people understand that heavy consumption of alcohol, of any kind, is bad for your health - as your drunken rat buddies demonstrate. All things in moderation. Apart from people trying to make valid points and referencing rats. That is just begging for abuse.

    I wasn't being lazy on the research front - I'd never heard of the 'issue' so wanted to know what had impressed upon you that this was a problem. i also couldn't find anything valid as far as research and evidence goes. Now I know. Rats.
    I don't put much stock in or have much concern about the testosterone impacts from my beer consumption (and I do love beer!), but I just had to comment on this as the child of a medical researcher.

    Rats and other lab animals are the primary subjects for MOST medical research. Why? Several reasons. Chief among them is that you can control your inputs on the experiment, which is much harder to do for humans (that is, controlling diet and other environmental factors to know that it is really the alcohol that is creating the outputs you are measuring and not some other factor). Rats and other lab animals also have a shorter life cycle and so you can measure impacts over a lifetime more effectively. You can also selectively breed animals to select for specific traits, genetic propensities, or ensure limited genetic variation in the population studied. And, you can perform an autopsy on the dead animals (for things like Alzheimer's, this is the only way to distinguish it from other forms of dementia, for example). Most if not all of this is difficult or impossible with human test subjects.

    A good deal of research that starts out with animals eventually moves to humans for more long term study. But as far as testing medicines, treatments, disease, etc., using animal test subjects is very reliable and helps researchers get to their conclusions more quickly.

    Performing this research on animals does not make it any less scientifically significant or reliable.

    That said, I have a nice pilsner waiting for me at home. Along with my two children and (satisfied) wife.

    Everything in moderation. Except biking...

  73. #73
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    I understand your point, I am not trolling. For the record I drink beer! I love beer. No, not as much as many herein but I love to drink a cool, I hope this is OK, Shiner Bock.

    I still want to know about the topic of this thread???????

    Why does everyone have to get so defensive? It was an honest question that was primarily motivated when it dawned on my the difference in attitude among a few of the boards I frequent. My gut tells me that mtbr is very much more diverse than the other boards I frequent.

    Still, why can't we just have a straightforward discussion without jumping to the conclusion that I am a troll? I am sorry but I don't buy that this sub-forum is all that troll ridden with people saying beer is unhealthy. My benchmark is the number of threads on the wheel/tire sub-forum arguing about the dangers of ghetto tubeless.
    Posting something negative about a hobby/topic in a forum designed around that topic is trolling, whether you think it is or not. tl1 is a specialist at this and refuses to quit. It would be the same if you went into a F1 forum and touted how NASCAR is better, or visa versa. At some point you become a troll who is simply looking to create online controversy by insulting peoples interests. I am sorry you cannot see how your original post did that, but in one quick post you insulted fans of craft beer by making a statement that because we drink beer we are going to have less man juice. Not one study conducted on Humans who drink moderate Beer has ever proven that to be so, it is just not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Frankly, I think the rabid defensiveness in this forum is simply because many people here have heavy drinking issues and they are tired of hearing complaints from friends and family about it. The last thing they want to hear in this forum are facts about the downside of alcohol use which are perceived as more of what friends, family and possibly employers and law enforcement are telling them. That and excessive alcohol use causes impaired brain function which makes a lot of people kind of dim-witted. Also, completely ignore Klugejr, everything that's not oblivious happy-talk about beer is a troll to him.
    I am guessing you are referring to me, Klurejr, but go ahead and misspell my online handle.

    I am not a binge drinker, nor am I a heavy drinker. At most I drink 20-30oz of beer in a week.

    However I can state with certainty that you tl1 are a troll in the beer forum who wont quit because you continue to get a rise out of people. This is the last thing I will ever respond to you, you are a troll, go away.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  74. #74
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    This.





    Also to the OP, Drinking in moderation will not reduce a mans testosterone. If it was truly an issue men would of stopped being able to make babies a long time ago. You do realize beer has been around longer than trumped up studies.
    Ha! I love it, I got an unsigned neg rep for this post that just said "troll"

    very clever whoever you are, very clever.......
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  75. #75
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Posting something negative about a hobby/topic in a forum designed around that topic is trolling, whether you think it is or not.
    Your logic is flawed. You're effectively saying that if there was say a mountain bike part that consistently failed when used hard and heavily, putting people's health, well being and life at risk then honestly posting about it would somehow be trolling and an outrage to the people that really liked that particular bike part. Beer/alcohol is exactly like that. If used very lightly and sparingly it's fine, if used hard and heavily it fails and is very damaging to human health. That is the complete sum of my message about beer. The hysterical responses to the facts are actually the only trolling going on.

  76. #76
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,389
    The next time you post some article or study about how drinking beer is killing people, please put a disclaimer on the top that it applies to heavy drinkers and binge drinkers only, and you will get less heat. Your posts come off as if they apply to everyone who drinks beer, and that is insulting.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Your logic is flawed. You're effectively saying that if there was say a mountain bike part that consistently failed when used hard and heavily, putting people's health, well being and life at risk then honestly posting about it would somehow be trolling and an outrage to the people that really liked that particular bike part. Beer/alcohol is exactly like that. If used very lightly and sparingly it's fine, if used hard and heavily it fails and is very damaging to human health. That is the complete sum of my message about beer. The hysterical responses to the facts are actually the only trolling going on.
    TL1 - you have very little credibility when it comes to pointing out logic fallicies. Your rambling on often contradicts itself. (IMHO)
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  78. #78
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    TL1 - you have very little credibility when it comes to pointing out logic fallicies. Your rambling on often contradicts itself. (IMHO)
    No opinion needed; 'tis fact. That's what happens when someone spends too much time quoting articles he/she doesn't fully understand.

    It's like if I were to jump on a knitting forum and talk about the arthritic dangers of heavy knitting. Since I don't know anything about knitting, nor knitting-induced arthritis, I should probably keep my mouth shut. TL1, on the other hand, has established himself as an "authority" who is better at web searching for journal articles than actually understanding physiology, biochemistry and, in some cases, logic.

    I am confident that heavy alcohol use contributes to decreased testosterone production, due to many biological pathways including the requirement of NAD+ in the metabolism of alcohol. Anecdotal evidence, however, has shown me that even when binge drinking, people rarely have issues manifest due to reduced testosterone.


    TL;DR - Ignore the troll and have a beer

  79. #79
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    The next time you post some article or study about how drinking beer is killing people, please put a disclaimer on the top that it applies to heavy drinkers and binge drinkers only, and you will get less heat. Your posts come off as if they apply to everyone who drinks beer, and that is insulting.
    Have I ever done anything different than say that drinking beyond safe levels is harmful? Show me where. All beer raises your estrogen levels though in direct proportion to the amount consumed but a little estrogen is good for mens' health. Why does this information irritate you so much anyway? Think about it. I bet your posts irritate me more than mine irritate you but you don't see me crying about it all the time.

  80. #80
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    No opinion needed; 'tis fact. That's what happens when someone spends too much time quoting articles he/she doesn't fully understand.

    It's like if I were to jump on a knitting forum and talk about the arthritic dangers of heavy knitting. Since I don't know anything about knitting, nor knitting-induced arthritis, I should probably keep my mouth shut. TL1, on the other hand, has established himself as an "authority" who is better at web searching for journal articles than actually understanding physiology, biochemistry and, in some cases, logic.

    I am confident that heavy alcohol use contributes to decreased testosterone production, due to many biological pathways including the requirement of NAD+ in the metabolism of alcohol. Anecdotal evidence, however, has shown me that even when binge drinking, people rarely have issues manifest due to reduced testosterone.


    TL;DR - Ignore the troll and have a beer
    OK, I guess that's why limp d*ck is so famously connected with men who have drank too much alcohol. Besides, where did I say anything about testosterone in this thread besides saying that drinking a small amount increases it? If my logic is faulty point out the flaws instead of churlishly implying you can but then you don't. Personal attacks are so completely weak guys. I think you can do better than that but then again maybe you're just being unnecessarily defensive and you can't. Clearly Chas has the numbers of a lot of the regulars in the beer forum: bizarrely and unnecessarily defensive.

  81. #81
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    OK, I guess that's why limp d*ck is so famously connected with men who have drank too much alcohol.
    "Limp d*ck" is due to vasodilation of blood vessels that aren't able to close. Not decreased testosterone which is the point of this thread.

    Alcoholics, on the other hand, suffer from other problems. Casual drinkers don't have to worry.

  82. #82
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    "Limp d*ck" is due to vasodilation of blood vessels that aren't able to close. Not decreased testosterone which is the point of this thread.

    Alcoholics, on the other hand, suffer from other problems. Casual drinkers don't have to worry.
    I still didn't say anything about decreased testosterone and YOU still haven't pointed out any flaws in my logic. You sure are accomplished at being condescending though. What's the definition of a "casual" drinker anyway? A guy wearing loafers and a cardigan while he drinks?

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13
    Haha good thread you got here people..I'll drink beer any day and any alcoholic beverage.

  84. #84
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I'm not sure if you were touched by beer inappropriately as a young child, but it would explain a bit.
    I'm not sure if you were touched inappropriately by facts as a child but it would explain a lot of the bizarre defensiveness when confronted by them.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    I still didn't say anything about decreased testosterone and YOU still haven't pointed out any flaws in my logic. You sure are accomplished at being condescending though. What's the definition of a "casual" drinker anyway? A guy wearing loafers and a cardigan while he drinks?

    Here the following informal logic flaws are present in the statement above:
    shifting the burden of proof
    fallacy of the beard
    possibly even an appeal to ridicule.

    It isn't in the above quote, but you have a habit of begging the question.

    I am certain there are others...
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  86. #86
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Here the following informal logic flaws are present in the statement above:
    shifting the burden of proof
    fallacy of the beard
    possibly even an appeal to ridicule.

    It isn't in the above quote, but you have a habit of begging the question.

    I am certain there are others...
    Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it so.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it so.
    Oh, oh, oh...
    This one is a termination cliche'
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  88. #88
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Oh, oh, oh...
    This one is a termination cliche'
    It's customary to provide examples and proof when making assertions. Maybe that doesn't apply to people who only wish to be condescending though. My only premise is this: beer in small quantities is fine and even improves certain areas of health, beer in large quantities is damaging to health and what makes a large quantity is smaller than many people think. Why so defensive? Have a nice day.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post

    A good deal of research that starts out with animals eventually moves to humans for more long term study. But as far as testing medicines, treatments, disease, etc., using animal test subjects is very reliable and helps researchers get to their conclusions more quickly.

    Performing this research on animals does not make it any less scientifically significant or reliable.
    I understand exactly where animal research fit in to science. However, when an internet warrior references only research conducted on rats, with no other supporting evidence or context (context being overlooked far more than it should), I'll take the proverbial. Typical route from 'some research shows this' to 'you are less of a man' with the way this particular research is presented by the likes of the OP.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    816
    I provided exactly what you asked for... you asked someone to point out the flaws in your logic. I did exactly that. Now, you are moving the "goal post."

    Note: Moving the goal post is an informal logic fallacy. Moving the goal post is changing the level of acceptable proof during a conversation. It leads me to believe that you will not accept any amoount of proof that does not agree with your "cherry picked" facts. (Cherry picked facts are chosen by a person soley because those facts agree with a pre-selected opinion.)
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  91. #91
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    We're not annoyed by the facts. We're annoyed by you constantly pointing out the facts in every thread that has the least bit touch on health. We get it, more than1-2 beers a day is deleterious to our health; we choose to make choices that negatively affect our health, you do not. Congrats, now, run along Sally, the adults are trying to have a conversation about one of our favorite things and don't need to keep being reminded that it's killing us since we already have a pretty good idea about it.
    Quoted since you still don't seem to grasp the fact that we are not bothered by facts. It is you, as an Internet indentity and real person, that bothers us. Your inability to understand this simple fact is astoundingly mind-boggling. get off the Internet and go ride a bike.

    Edit: I reported that spam, y'all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  92. #92
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I provided exactly what you asked for... you asked someone to point out the flaws in your logic. I did exactly that. Now, you are moving the "goal post."

    Note: Moving the goal post is an informal logic fallacy. Moving the goal post is changing the level of acceptable proof during a conversation. It leads me to believe that you will not accept any amoount of proof that does not agree with your "cherry picked" facts. (Cherry picked facts are chosen by a person soley because those facts agree with a pre-selected opinion.)
    Wow, and they say I'm annoying. You made statements with no examples or proof. Prove my premise wrong that beer in large quantities is harmful. I have posted numerous scientific studies that say it is. Clearly your only purpose here is to be churlish, smarmy and condescending.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Quoted since you still don't seem to grasp the fact that we are not bothered by facts. It is you, as an Internet indentity and real person, that bothers us. Your inability to understand this simple fact is astoundingly mind-boggling. get off the Internet and go ride a bike.

    Edit: I reported that spam, y'all.
    Free radicals in food cause cancer and shorten life. If you eat a near starving diet with good nutrition you can extend your life. No thanks. I'll enjoy the simple pleasures of good beer, wine, food, sex, etc. until I die. Which will probably be by an accident like being hit by a bus. Which chances are increased by playing in traffic on foot or on a bike (don't need no study to know this). But I still choose to play.

    Wouldn't that just piss you off to die a shortened, unfulfilled life? Phuck abstinence!

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    816
    I never proposed the premise that in large quantitiies beer is harmful. It is not up to me to prove a claim I did not make. That could be considered "wishful thinking".

    Are you changing the subject from: point out the logic flaws? to an "ad hominem" attack on me because I provided what you requested?
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  95. #95
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I never proposed the premise that in large quantitiies beer is harmful. It is not up to me to prove a claim I did not make. That could be considered "wishful thinking".

    Are you changing the subject from: point out the logic flaws? to an "ad hominem" attack on me because I provided what you requested?
    I'd rep you more, but I can't yet.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    405
    I contest the study on the grounds that beer goggles do not make women less attractive. On the contrary, they make all women more appealing (sometimes to a gentlemans amazement the following morning). In other words, beer makes men more able to perform. Low testosterone is supposed to make men less able to perform, yes? Study refuted.

  97. #97
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Wow, and they say I'm annoying. You made statements with no examples or proof. Prove my premise wrong that beer in large quantities is harmful. I have posted numerous scientific studies that say it is. Clearly your only purpose here is to be churlish, smarmy and condescending.

    This trend is getting tiresome, there have now been like half a dozen threads on this cancer/testosterone/health in respect to beer in the last few months. Each one of them results in TL1 arguing with users on and on for pages.

    TL1 you need to chill; like I have been requesting now in each of these health threads. They continue simply due to your persistent religious like devotion to informing us of our bad drinking habbits. I am starting to find you more troll-ish for each of these threads that pop up.
    Chill out dude, we get it, we alllllllll get it.

    This subforum is supposed to be about enjoying beer.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    I understand exactly where animal research fit in to science. However, when an internet warrior references only research conducted on rats, with no other supporting evidence or context (context being overlooked far more than it should), I'll take the proverbial. Typical route from 'some research shows this' to 'you are less of a man' with the way this particular research is presented by the likes of the OP.
    Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure people understand that there is nothing odd or unreliable about doing research on animals as far as how that data translates to humans.

    This thread is really stomping on my enjoyment of beer. Boo! Not because of the impacts on testosterone levels but for all the buzz-killing animosity. Seriously, anyone who doesn't consider that excess consumption of alcohol is not good for your health in innumerable ways is not going to be helped by something posted in here. This is information readily available in the popular press and any lay person's medical source. I'm sure we are all well aware. What we choose to do with that info is up to us. I choose to drink responsibly and in moderation (except on occasion...)

    Next I'm going to learn that my car is polluting the planet - tell me something I don't know...

    Like what are the results of lowered testosterone levels? Why would one care? Osteoperosis, fatty deposits around the middle and on organs, depression and more are all potential impacts of lowered testosterone, though I don't see any discussion of that here. Regardless, I don't think the level of drop cited in those studies is high enough to cause "hypogonadism" which is what causes these ancillary problems.

    Yeah, I just said "tiny balls" in medical speak!

    All men experience a drop in testosterone levels after around 30. The issue is how far and how does it impact you. Low or no sex drive is one of the main indicators for this issue, so if you are not experiencing that, its probably not at a level to cause concern. not that I am a doctor...

  99. #99
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I never proposed the premise that in large quantitiies beer is harmful. It is not up to me to prove a claim I did not make. That could be considered "wishful thinking".

    Are you changing the subject from: point out the logic flaws? to an "ad hominem" attack on me because I provided what you requested?
    Changing what subject? What are you talking about, do you even know? My premise in this and other like threads is that beer in small quantities has some healthy benefits but in large quantities is harmful and dangerous. So what logic flaws are you exposing? The analogy I made for Klugerjr between a fragile bike part and beer was what exposed the flaws in his logic. I have no idea whatever else you're trying to refute and I have a feeling you don't either because you don't bother to identify it. Then jmartino piles on, not having Clue One either. Guys get another beer, I think you may be suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

  100. #100
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    This trend is getting tiresome, there have now been like half a dozen threads on this cancer/testosterone/health in respect to beer in the last few months. Each one of them results in TL1 arguing with users on and on for pages.
    Don't click on the threads then. Why do you even bother? I'm not trolling not spamming just keeping it real dude. I have said nothing untrue or profane, all the imagined trolling is in your mind. Why do you folks protest so much anyway? Think about it. THAT is what energizes this continuing conversation, the constant denial of the facts. That and the continuous attempt to paint folks like Chas who are simply asking questions and presenting facts about the health effects of beer as some sort of wackos. It's offensive and if you think you can get away with that just because there are more of you that would prefer to not know than us that would you're seriously wrong. I am tenacious against hateful bullies, always have been, always will be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    This subforum is supposed to be about enjoying beer.
    I enjoy beer almost everyday. The spastic attacks on me from the irrationally outraged folks in this forum don't prevent that. Why should you be any different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •