Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    TL1 I hope you do not feel that I have personally attacked you....personally.

My suggestion to you would be to reduce your headstrong fervor against beer in a sub-forum that is specifically devoted to it. Its not your opinion that result in you being branded "troll" its the imprudent persistence, and obstinate refusal to let bygones be bygones . You do present some interesting facts, and I can respect for your undauntable drive to educate us on the health risks of beer; but I fail to comprehend why MTBR's BEER sub-forum is the ground on which you chose to make your stand.

You will not convince me, and probably most others; to stop drinking beer because of these studies. Loosen up a bit and these threads won't be blown as out of proportion.

Think of us as your crazy buddies that are fun to hang out with, but you probably aren't going to change.
    Oh brother. Here's a fact for your perusal: the more the people here deny the facts and try to brand people presenting health facts about beer as "anti-beer", or "tin-foil hat wearers" and so on, the more it activates my desire to present the facts. That's because "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” If that annoys anyone here that is their problem not mine. I'm not trying to stop anyone from drinking beer or trying win converts or to make beer drinking friends or outlaw alcohol or "make a stand" or whatever else the fevered imaginations around here come up with. I'm simply presenting the information.

I'm not "anti-beer", I'm drinking one right now. I'm basically just saying that it's another straw on the camel's back among all the other carcinogens and endocrine disruptors we're continually exposed to when you consume beer at levels greater than the drinking guidelines based on the latest information. There are many carcinogens and endocrine disruptors that can't be avoided, this one can. To me it doesn't seem to be something that should provoke the backlash of hysteria that it does, but it does. I could care less.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    TL1 I hope you do not feel that I have personally attacked you....personally.
    Almost forgot. No I don't think you attacked me personally. Others have though and that was probably after they had a few beers and their thinking ability had been shut down.

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ tl1, I got bad news for you, we all die. You just choose the path to get there. My path is not your path. I don't need you telling me how to get there.

We're not annoyed by the facts. We're annoyed by you constantly pointing out the facts in every thread that has the least bit touch on health. We get it, more than1-2 beers a day is deleterious to our health; we choose to make choices that negatively affect our health, you do not. Congrats, now, run along Sally, the adults are trying to have a conversation about one of our favorite things and don't need to keep being reminded that it's killing us since we already have a pretty good idea about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

backwoods and backwards
    Sure the beer might slow me down a bit.... but a nice bottle of wine for MojoWife and she starts to warm up. It's all good, Baby!
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Rogue Exterminator

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    ^^^ tl1, I got bad news for you, we all die. You just choose the path to get there. My path is not your path. I don't need you telling me how to get there.
    Exactly where did I tell you or anyone to do anything? The fevered imaginations are at work again, have another beer pal.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Almost forgot. No I don't think you attacked me personally. Others have though and that was probably after they had a few beers and their thinking ability had been shut down.
    I dunno about that, but I think your thinking ability was shut down when you came in to the beer forum trolling.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Who is bugged about the deleterious effect of beer on testosterone? Do you guys just ignore this fact?
    I just drink strong beer (<7%+ ABV) daily (I simply will NOT drink cheap-ass swill brew ) and do lots of Z3/Z4 riding when not drinking. Oh, and I eat well (cannot remember the last time I ate junk/fast food—it’s been a number of years) too—lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. My d¡ck is still in proper working condition—I’m only 42—perhaps time will tell a different story.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I just drink strong beer (<7%+ ABV) daily (I simply will NOT drink cheap-ass swill brew ) and do lots of Z3/Z4 riding when not drinking. Oh, and I eat well (cannot remember the last time I ate junk/fast food—it’s been a number of years) too—lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. My d¡ck is still in proper working condition—I’m only 42—perhaps time will tell a different story.
    It's your chin I would worry about
    did the beer cause the ummmmmm DROP

Still in the top 10 avatars in my opinion
    drink on you bad as

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    This thread makes me want to cry in my beer.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    This thread makes me want to cry in my beer.
    Or "rub one out" in some Debbie Downer's Cheerios.

(sorry, I just learned the term "rub one out" from my buddies. I think it's heeelarious)

(p.s., the mis-spelling of the word hilarious above was done intentionally to add comic effect. It was not related to drinking too much of the Devil's Liquid)

(p.p.s.,for those not-in-the-rub-one-out-know, this article may help)
    Last edited by dirt farmer; 12-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.

^^This post brought to you by the letter Deschutes and the number 10Barrels in conjunction with at least two truck stop growlers.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I just drink strong beer (<7%+ ABV) daily
    You consider less than 7% to be strong beer?

"Or did you mean >7%"

Just saying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    It's your chin I would worry about
    did the beer cause the ummmmmm DROP

Still in the top 10 avatars in my opinion
    drink on you bad as

Sj
    The guy is as wild as his avatar ! We ride together regularly. We talked on the trail about the beer and cancer/pancreatic deal before I started that stupid thread. LP alway's remember to ... Keep a Stiff Upper Lip or Keep Your Chin Up
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Couple of things: I don't think alcohol content has anything to do with the affect on T levels. How many beer devotes also race? My understanding is that beer is unique among alcoholic beverages.

The main reason I started this thread was due to the oddity of having a beer forum here in the first place. I suppose this site consist of a VERY broad range of members. The sites I compare it to are primarily MMA\MA\boxing and weight lifting sites. Those sites take a very critical stance on beer all due to the negative affects associated with pursuit of the sport(s) in question. I just find it interesting the number of people herein that don't care about the outcome of beer consumption.

I don't give a darn if you guys drink every day. That's just me, I don't care if you smoke, drink, ram each other in the ass etc and so on. Just an observation that I find it odd so many herein drink beer and seem to also aspire to be fast on a bike. I suppose that last point is where I got off track. How many of you are in the upper echelon of your peers
    on race day and still are OK with regular consumption of beer?

PS: Why don't some of you sling some more derogatory insults my way, my self esteem is high enough that your "insults" roll right off my back.

PS2: To the person giving me a negative rep and the comment "dbag dingleberry" over starting this thread. Come on, are you so small minded you can't endure discourse on this topic without resorting to name calling? Why aren't you man enough to set me straight and tell me where I am wrong? I started this thread with serious intent. You might want to get a hormone panel and see if all that beer has caused you a problem.
    Nobody cares...........

Most of the fastest people around me are the heavy drinkers. I drink as much or more and still can't seem to keep pace. YMMV.

I eat cats
    Sometimes I ride faster because I can't wait to crack a beer at the end of my ride. I don't race so I really can't answer the real question.

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    While competition is certainly a part of mountain biking, I think having fun, is an equally large part of it,
    and many of us cherish this part of it to the exclusion of racing. Beer is also fun, so has a cross-connection on this site.

While MMA and Lifting might be fun for some, I think the competitive aspect of these is a much greater draw and interest for their "devotees" than the "fun" aspect. I'm sure websites for these sports have sections which would leave most of us scratching our heads.

I'm not knocking the importance of having competition in our lives,(I meself prefer the grueling strain of Pub Darts) but it might explain to you why practitioners of a seemingly intense athletic endeavor,
    might also like to crack a cold one now and again. And blather on about it in our own little corner of the bar. If it puts a stupid, happy grin on your face it might be discussed on MTBR.com. Beer and biking both kinda fit the bill.

And isn't laughter the best medicine?

Well said.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You consider less than 7% to be strong beer?

"Or did you mean >7%"

Just saying.
    Uh, well, I was under the influence of alcohol (16% Schmaltz Brewing’s “Jewbelation 16”) at the time I typed that. I did actually mean at least rather than less than.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Sup
    maybe I will give up beer than
    I has some mead this summer that was delicious and would lay you on your ars

never mind I cant afford that and it would cut into my bike budget

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Rogue Exterminator

The main reason I started this thread was due to the oddity of having a beer forum here in the first place. I suppose this site consist of a VERY broad range of members. The sites I compare it to are primarily MMA\MA\boxing and weight lifting sites. Those sites take a very critical stance on beer all due to the negative affects associated with pursuit of the sport(s) in question. I just find it interesting the number of people herein that don't care about the outcome of beer consumption.

Why is it so odd?
    Ever notice how even a lot of bike shops sell beer?
    Bikes and beer go hand in hand.
    It has nothing yo do with health, but in the beginning neither did riding bikes.
    Even today, it has nothing to do with health for some people and for them, it just happens to be a good side affect.

For me it is part health, part fun.
    I do it for a fun way to to get a little healthier so I can make the unhealthy choices in my life without turning in to a big blob.

You can choose to deny yourself all the simple pleasures in life so you can live longer or you can choose to enjoy them and just live.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    chas - you have a strange way about you. You certainly judge others by your own (obviously incredibly high) standards. It isn't your standards or your views that are annoying people here, but the fact you are judging them.

I've met a lot of people in the fighting and lifting worlds who imbibed far more nasty and mood-changing substances than beer, so your comparison there is a little flawed - they have different poisons.

Why is racing the only thing one does on a bike? I don't race, I don't like it, it does nothing for me, it doesn't flick my switch. I like riding a bike. I like exploring on a bike, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. I like to pass the time of day with those fellow cyclists when we do ride together, I like to stop and admire where I am, I sometimes ride and stop off at a pub (in England we can do these things). It doesn't make me a lesser man to most, but they don't judge me on my podium places or how many of my per group I can beat down.

I like cake too. We sometimes take home made cake and flapjack out and share it when we stop on a ride. Cake is for winners, even winners who race.

I'm such a bad person. I think the other bad people here do care about the potential effects of alcohol (not just beer) consumption. However, they can put it in context and seem to get along just fine and are happy with their station in life.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    I don't care if you...ram each other in the ass etc and so on.
    Whew...I feel better about this whole thing now.
    Thanks.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast