mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Idea! Is It Beer You Want?

Passionites... what would would give you reason to forsake a weekend ride to join a trailwork day? Beer? Food? Swag? A great trailwork/building project? I am trying to find ways to increase turnout for the local trailwork days that I organize. I know some communities that have great regular turnout for trailwork and I want to establish this in my hometown.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (162.9 KB, 433 views)

mtbr member

All the best people have a shovel in thier hands.

This is pretty old but I don't have any more up to date.
    R.I. NEMBA. Acadia
    Chris

mtbr member
    Bribery works best if you only use it once in a while. It'll get you a big turnout but it gets expensive pretty quick. I've found the best work gets done by the people who don't need to be bribed to turn out.

The very best thing I've seen is a clear and obvious "project" that the trail users see as being to their benefit. Like building a bridge, or new trail etc... Getting them out to do routine maintenance is much tougher.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Idea! Free stuff

Our local group uses a point system based on the number of hours worked and rewards those with the most amount of time. They get really high end gear as the main prize (I think it was a frame last year for top honors) and still keep the swag top notch for other "prizes" etc. The gear is all donated buy local shops who obviously have a vested interest in legal trails being available and it gets their name out as well.

conjoinicorned
    we use no system at all. it usually means there is little turnout, but who wants to ride with people who don't maintain trails anyways.

seriously, don't call yourself an mtbr if you don't do something for the trails...(at least join imba or something...)

there are bike shops in the area (pinkbike too) that organize trail building events, those seem to end up as social gatherings instead of work though.

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    seriously, don't call yourself an mtbr if you don't do something for the trails...(at least join imba or something...)

This is a very good statement, amigo. In our club, only the "core group" of MTBers show up for work. Though it is true that others will come out for special projects like bridges and new trails, the brunt of he work is in MAINTAINING the trails so that everyone gets to enjoy.
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Advertising is key as well. I think many people here for example would maintain trails happily for free (or maybe a pint). The prospect of helping out with trails and maybe getting a ride in after is appealing in and of itself IF one is aware of the opportunity.

mtbr member

Building trails or taming them?

This will probably piss a lot of people off: I'd go to more workdays if we built cool stuff like northshore bridges over creeks or cool obstacles/jumps/challenges. I know that stuff's illegal so there will probably never be a trail workday that features that. Most trail workdays, in my experience, end up taming down trails, making them safe, etc. which is ok but...not much fun.

Demon Cleaner

EveryDays your point is valid, but...

Not all trail organization nerf trails. Most are run buy folks who want to build fun trails and are no more excited than you by the idea of taking out the thrills. That being said, they do occationally nerf sections of trail. However, they usually do so to help maintain access. Most trail are shared resources and if they get too torn up by mountain bikes then mountain bikers have to help fix the damage or find themselves excluded. This happens too often around the country.

Also, the more time you put into trail workdays and trail club organizing, the more voice you will have in what the club does. If you join a local club and find it is being run by a bunch of "old farts with suspension seatposts and Sierra Club memberships" then work to make the club serve all users. Of course, you can't walk in the first day and try to start giving orders, but overtime trail clubs become whatever the local members want them to be. If you want your local clubs to represent your values, then you need to join them and work for them and add your voice and time to the mix.

There will also be no, or very few, trail building projects aimed at the aggressive rider unless a trail organization does a lot of hard work first. Developing friendly relations with local land managers. Learning which local business will fund projects. Learning the ins and outs of various liability issues. These sorts of tasks need doing before one can start building Whistler style stunts. But none of these happen unless an organization first develops a strong, numerous, and involved group of local supporters.

I'm not saying any of this because I've done these things. In fact, I've always been lazy to get involved. Or used the excuse that I didn't want to nerf trails. Or that I was too busy. Or that I didn't know who to contact. ETC. Now I'm learning, slowly, that I was wrong and that if we want to have awesome trails to ride in 30 years (and I'm going to still be riding then...) we have to put in a little bit of extra time maintaining what we use. We understand this when it's our bikes or our bodies, but somehow the trails often get forgotten. Now's the time to start fixing that.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    agreed

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Ask these guys how they do it

sorba.org

I think they get the most trail work done in the whole country.
    They started out very small not too long ago.
    They were able to get the racers involved with a points system,basically you do so much trailwork and you move up in the race standings.
    I'm sure one of the SORBA guys could offer some suggestions.

Some people are givers,some are takers.It's always a small percentage of people that do all the work.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

No tame trails from me

I am not interested in taming down trails at all. Our focus is on building new trails, helping to solve water and erosion problems and occasionally trimming back overgrowth. I TOTALLY agree that if you become involved in the trail work, you'll have more of a say about the type of work that gets done.

As someone with two little kids, I have little time to ride these days and I no longer focus on fitness. Therefore, I've found myself looking for the more technically challenging trails. Building such trails can very much be a part of trailwork efforts. IMBA has some great resources on this subject and will soon publish a full book with details on building technically challenging trails. I've seen some advanced materials from this book and it is going to be great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Yep, we do get a lot of people...

Our chapter of SORBA( SORBA Woodstock) works every 3rd Saturday of the month. We have a core group of about 15 to to 20 people and usually get 20 to 30 at work partys especially during race season. We work from 9:00 to 1:00 in the winter and 8:00 to 12:00 in the summer to beat the heat. We provide all the tools, and lunch is provided for free by a lbs. All we ask that you bring is gloves, boots, and water. Occasionally there is also some SWAG. Here are some pics:

Pic number 1 is our tool trailer.

Pic number 2 is one of our larger work partys. This was an emergency reroute. Due to heavy rains the lake swallowed up a large chunk of trail.

I Hope these pics work!

Tucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Hey, I've been there!!

Quote Originally Posted by hugh088
    This is pretty old but I don't have any more up to date.
    R.I. NEMBA. Acadia
    Chris
    Rode Acadia this summer after hooking up with some super nice locals near Providence earlier in the week. The place was a pleasant suprise for this New Mexican!

The day turned out to be even better when I finished up and headed south to the beach. Never did that before. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for doing all the hard work for a visitor to enjoy. Acadia is truly a gem for RI, and suprisingly could make a nice vacation for folks.

M

Santa Cruz, CA
    Jan 2004

hmm

"seriously, don't call yourself an mtbr if you don't do something for the trails...(at least join imba or something...)"

I can't justify pitching in on trail cleanups here in Santa Cruz when 98% of the good trails are illegal. Call me when we can maintain some trails that are actually fun to ride.