Beer Please!

Beer Tour Friday

Living in San Diego I have access to many tasting rooms around the county.

So Friday I took my Ballast Point growler with me to work(I rode my motorcycle so it was in the back pack). Stopped over at the San Diego tasting room, had a few tasters and filled the growler with "Victory at Sea", possibly my all time favorite porter. We had plans to head up to the mountains to hang out with friends at their cabin and they both like porters too.

Earlier in the day a good friend of mine who has 2 touring companies, one a beer tour company and the other for wine tours posted on facebook that he had a cancellation and thus only had 2 people scheduled for his afternoon tour. Not wanting his only 2 customers to be bored in the trip he asked for some peoples to volunteer to help fill the truck at his cost.

Naturally me and a Buddy decided to cut work short and help our friend out. He has a good thing going, 3 Breweries, tastings and food included.

Around 3:30 we head out of Carlsbad in the back of his Pinzgauer that is modified to seat up to 12 people in the back. We introduced ourselves to a nice couple from Iowa that were out in California on vacation, he is a homebrewer and enjoys good craft beer and was excited to try out beer he cannot get back home.

It was a bit overcast as we headed down the coast before turning inland toward our first stop:

About 15 min later we arrived at Iron Fist in Vista:

He has a pretty good deal going, we each get 5 tastings of anything on the menu using his custom 5oz Taster glasses. There was a gourmet food truck parked outside and we enjoyed some hush puppies and pulled pork fries as we sampled beer. 25oz of 9-12% beer later we shoved off and headed to Mother Earth Brewing which is only 5 min down the road from Iron Fist, still in Vista. Mother Earth is another home brew mart that turned into a nano-brewery, and they do not bottle, so you will have to visit in person to try something. We each got 3 tastings here.

I took a quick min to snap a few shots of the ride before it started getting too dark.

Last Stop, Lost Abbey / Port Brewing

We were dropped off as he headed out to pick us up dinner. We all decided upon BBQ Tri-Tip Sandwiches from Phil's BBQ.
    This time we were given a wristband with 5 tags on it, plus our first tasting was on the house from Lost Abbey. After my 3rd tasting I heard one of the bar tenders talking about something called "Track #2". It is part of a special drink on site beer program Lost Abbey is doing this year. Track #2 is 60% Bourbon Barrel Aged Angels Share, and the rest of the Blend includes ale with Peaches and Sour Cherries. One 12.7oz bottle is $16.00, and you have to drink it onsite and are only given the bottle after you finish your drinks, you are also put in a drawing to be eligible to purchase all the "Track" beers after they are all released. I figured it would be a good way to end the night and a nice treat for our new friends from Iowa, so I bought a bottle and requested 4 glasses. It was fantastic, hints of port on the nose, hard to describe but I would def buy another bottle and I hope I have a chance at buying the entire series.

I was mostly irritated that they rinsed the bottle before they gave it back to me, I was hoping to savor some more of the smell out of the bottle.

And finally a blurry shot of my buddy Matt sleeping on the spare tire as we cruised the freeway home.

If you ever find yourself in San Diego and want to have a fun time visiting some breweries check out Scavengers Beer Tours!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    Sweet deal!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sound like a fun day. Can't wait till I head out there in May, looking to do the same thing for a few days. Stone, Lost Abbey, Ballast Point, and Pizza Port are all on our radar. Any others that you would recommend within a few hours of SD?

Hi.
    Your buddy has a cool gig going. I saw his rig at Lost Abbey last time I was down there, and it looked like they were having a good time.

Do you think the 5 hours for the 3 breweries + food was too long?

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Sound like a fun day. Can't wait till I head out there in May, looking to do the same thing for a few days. Stone, Lost Abbey, Ballast Point, and Pizza Port are all on our radar. Any others that you would recommend within a few hours of SD?
    Alesmith, Iron Fist, Mission, and Hess would be others I would recommend, all are in SD.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Your buddy has a cool gig going. I saw his rig at Lost Abbey last time I was down there, and it looked like they were having a good time.

Do you think the 5 hours for the 3 breweries + food was too long?
    too long? no. I don't think our tour was 5 hours, at least it did not feel that way to me.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

whatever she says gueuze.
    Sounds like the perfect day. There's also the 'newer' Green Flash tasting room sort of close to Ballast Point. Don't forget to stop by Phils for BBQ. It's close to Lost Abbey.

Beer Please!
    Last Saturday I went on the tour again, but this time as a Paid tour guide. Scavengers Beer tours has a really great thing going, and now that Adam has dedicated tour guides for the groups he can focus on just driving the Pinz. On Saturday's he is able to run two groups using the one vehicle. I was tour guide for the first group and we started about 11:00am. He dropped us off at the first brewery, goes back to get the second group and drops them off at the same brewery and then takes my group to the next one, etc etc. The Breweries for the Run on Saturday were Port Brewing/The Lost Abbey, Iron Fist and then latitude 33.

My group had 11 people consisting of three different groups.

As tour guide I make sure the group has a safe and enjoyable time, do my best to answer questions about the breweries and the beer styles, and I drink a few beers with the group as we go. It was a very fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Since I have a full time job I am just doing this for fun and to help Adam out since he could use reliable guides. I plan to run one tour a month for him. Here are some pictures I snapped during the day:

The Pinz:

Port Brewing/The Lost Abbey:

Track 13 was amazing.

Iron Fist:

Latitude 33:

Adam now has a second Pinzguarer and is running tours down in San Diego proper as well. If you are heading to town and looking for a tour check them out, You get 14-15 4oz Pours across 3 breweries, lunch from Phils BBQ, and a ton of fun.
    Home - San Diego Brewery Tours - Scavengers Tour Co.