Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Beer Please!

Not much smoke for a "smoked" porter. My wife insisted on buying it for the cap and bottle art work.... Not horrible, I just expected more smoke.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    A small three person share from the other night...
    Nice! We enjoyed that Madame Rose last time we tried it - how's the Stoic?

Here's some stuff that JFryauff shared with me recently.

This is what sparked the share initially, he offered a Westvleteren XII. It was delicious. Quite drinkable, and very balanced. I'm very pleased to have had the chance to try some of this.

Westvleteren XII

Here's a bunch of the rest. Most is self-explanatory, but the one on the left is one of his homebrews, described as a Belgian Dark-Strong. Not pictured is a bottle of home brewed Graff that Klurejr described in the OP. I also enjoyed it, though it took me a few sips to appreciate it because it's the first Brettanomyces-brewed beverage I've had.

beer share

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Only 3 left? Shucks, no sharing tonight.

mtbr member
    Nothing like an Abbey.
    The Beer Share Picture Thread-screen-shot-2013-02-13-7.48.42-am.jpg

Beer Please!
    Yesterday I took a small break from the office and had myself a beer at Societe, The Butcher Imperial Stout, 9.8%

Then I head Green Flash was doing a special release Black IPA and I had not yet been to the new location, so I made my way over to try it out:

The new space is huuuuge and they have a very nice tasting room.

It was a keep the glass deal too, and I do not have a glass in this shape yet so I had to get one:

~~~

The Beer Share Picture Thread

Had another little NorCal mtbr beer share last night. rox needed help clearing out some fridge space, so we went to work on his IPAs. This is what we had available, but we just got to a few. (pic courtesy of grrrah)

We hit the growler of Russian River Row 2 Hill 56
    Blind Pig
    Pliny the Elder
    Alpine Duet
    Alchemist Heady Topper (a real treat!)
    AleSmith IPA
    Drake Hopocalypse Black Label
    Lagunitas Sucks
    Caldera IPA
    and a homebrew

The Beer Share Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361395400.924560.jpg

We also had some fun building up a friend's new toy. Since it was a fixie, we thought it needed a card in the spokes for a little character.

The Beer Share Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361396201.105235.jpg

Beer Please!
    Ballast Point Sextant Oatmeal Stout on Nitro Pour at Sublime Alehouse in San Marcos this past Sunday:

Mikkeller Holiday Ale from Last Night, my wife did not really like it so I got to finish this one off myself :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Had another little NorCal mtbr beer share last night. rox needed help clearing out some fridge space, so we went to work on his IPAs. This is what we had available, but we just got to a few. (pic courtesy of grrrah)

We hit the growler of Russian River Row 2 Hill 56
    Blind Pig
    Pliny the Elder
    Alpine Duet
    Alchemist Heady Topper (a real treat!)
    AleSmith IPA
    Drake Hopocalypse Black Label
    Lagunitas Sucks
    Caldera IPA
    and a homebrew

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361395400.924560.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	773872
    Wow. Ridiculous lineup. Elder, Duet and Heady are in my top 5 for IPA's. That stuff in between Blind Pig and Duet...no comment.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Wow. Ridiculous lineup. Elder, Duet and Heady are in my top 5 for IPA's. That stuff in between Blind Pig and Duet...no comment.
    That's how we roll.

Heady > Duet > Elder > Row 2 > Blind Pig > Sucks > Hopocalypse Black > Alesmith IPA for me last night.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you like Heady Topper one must try HIll Farmstead Abner up here in VT. Only on tap and equally if not more yummy.

For a great night of amazing beer on tap and good burgers, try the Worthy Burger in South Royalton, VT.

Ask for Jason (head chef) and tell him you learned about the place on MTBR.com. He's a biker.

https://www.facebook.com/TheWorthyBurgerSORO

Beer Please!
    This week in the beer life of Klurejr:

Breckenridge Brewery Vanilla Porter enjoyed today at a new craft beer and burger bar in La Jolla/UTC called Eureka!

Alpine Pure Hoppiness enjoyed yesterday at O'Briens in Kearny Mesa, San Diego:

Karl Strauss Red Trolley (I took the pic before I tasted it and realized it was not the Arrogant Bastard I had ordered, so I sent this once back.. lol):

Societe "The Pupil" Citra/Nelson IPA, enjoyed at Societe Brewing:

Karl Strauss Wreck Alley enjoyed at home:

Hanger 24 Chocolate Porter:

Beer Please!
    I was hanging out in Downtown San Diego this week (wife had a work thing down there) and on Friday afternoon I met a buddy and we went to Rock Bottom Brewery. Not only do these guys make some good beer, they are super generous with tasters. They gave us all these tasters for free, three different style Reds, a Irish style stout and a brown.

Of the 5 tasters we both agreed that the Barrel Aged Red served from Cask was the best and opted for it. I call this shot "Stainless to Oak to Glass" Those are the actual barrels used to age the beer, and the system behind it that they do all the brewing at.

Even though there are a few locations of Rock Bottom Brewery in Socal, I do not think most people realize that each location has it's own head brewer, own recipes and own brewing schedule, and at competitions the locations actually compete against each other. If you ever come to Down Town San Diego, it is a must try.

Current State of my beer fridge, March 2013:

Beer Please!
    Went on a Cleanse thing with my wife last week so Saturday was the first day I could have a beer, we met soem friends for dinner at a great tap house/pub in San Marcos called Sublime Alehouse:

I had two Imperial Stouts, one from a new brewery in San Diego called Belching Beaver, and it was just okay, the second was a smoked Imperial Stout from Drakes that was phenomenal.

Then I opened up this guy I got in a trade last year and shared it with my wife last night and was blown away by how good it was.... just amazing.

Beer Please!
    For our Next homebrew we wanted to do an Red Ale, so I had my brewing friends over last night and we tried a few to get some idea's;

We decided the Tocobaga from Cigar City was the best, though all three were fantastic;

Bottle Cap Art.....

And to finish off the night we opened a fresh 2013 Stone IRS made with Espresso;

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: The Beer Share Picture Thread

Harviestoun old engine oil black ale
    The Beer Share Picture Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1366592103847.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    For our Next homebrew we wanted to do an Red Ale, so I had my brewing friends over last night and we tried a few to get some idea's;

We decided the Tocobaga from Cigar City was the best, though all three were fantastic;

Bottle Cap Art.....

And to finish off the night we opened a fresh 2013 Stone IRS made with Espresso;
    Glad you like the Tocabaga. That is one of my favorite "every day" beers.

Still haven't tried the Westy... saving it a bit.

That Marshall Zhuchov is a fantastic stout. I actually just scored a bottle of Hunapuh from them from my brother too. Can't wait to try it.

What did you think of their porter I sent you?

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    What did you think of their porter I sent you?
    Was that the Robust from Smutty nose? I forgot exactly what came from our trade because I also traded with Josh on the same trip.

I had the Smutty Nose on Sunday and really liked it, very clean.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine has a cool place in Ocean beach with a nice rooftop deck. We went over last night to watch the sunset and share a few beers.

As we got there he pulled this one out on us.... Sam Adams Utopias. To get an idea how thick this stuff is, the glass has been sitting for a few minutes since the last sip and you can still make out the beer clinging to the side of the glass. Pretty awesome stuff. Very smooth and tasty. And 29%. Just a few sips led to a warm toasty feeling in my tummy.

A few of the other beers we had. The white bottle is a Korean single malt whiskey (not scotch). It was like sake on steroids...

Beer Please!
    Awesome! I have yet to try Utopias, and every time I see it the place wants $300.00 for a bottle....

Beer Please!
    Belgian Night, June 2013.

This was on Saturday at a friends house. a few people had gone to Belgium last June and brought back some beers, so we did some comparative tastings. Along with some amazing food.

Hi.
    Belgian Night, June 2013.

This was on Saturday at a friends house. a few people had gone to Belgium last June and brought back some beers, so we did some comparative tastings. Along with some amazing food.
    Great pics - looks like a nice line up! What's up with the labels on the Westy bottles? They don't label the beer themselves (at least they haven't in a long time!) and the stamped bottles with labels on the back are the ones Shelton Bros. did to import them into the US. I've never seen those paper labels - that some kind of homemade thing?

Here are all of the "official" Westy paper labels (except for the most recent Shelton Bros one w/ the gold stamp lettering.) Usually done by importers, or some kind of "gray market" thing.

Etiquettes de Westvleteren - Westvleteren Beerlabels

So back to the tasting - any standouts? Highlights? Westy vs. Rochefort vs. St. Bernadus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

recent cabin weekend with friends in NC mtns

The Beer Share Picture Thread-img_0783.jpg
    highlights were a sexual chocolate, bam noire, sang noir, and lindley park.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Great pics - looks like a nice line up! What's up with the labels on the Westy bottles? They don't label the beer themselves (at least they haven't in a long time!) and the stamped bottles with labels on the back are the ones Shelton Bros. did to import them into the US. I've never seen those paper labels - that some kind of homemade thing?

Here are all of the "official" Westy paper labels (except for the most recent Shelton Bros one w/ the gold stamp lettering.) Usually done by importers, or some kind of "gray market" thing.

Etiquettes de Westvleteren - Westvleteren Beerlabels

So back to the tasting - any standouts? Highlights? Westy vs. Rochefort vs. St. Bernadus?
    The Labels were used like a long sticker to wrap all the bottles together when they bought them at the Monastery, and when they took them apart the labels just stuck in place, so they left em. They are genuine, but not designed to act as a bottle label of any sort.

Westy 8 and 12 were better than the Rochefort and Westmalle, but only just.

The new one to that party Gregorius from The Trappist monastery of Stift Engelszellaz was very good as well. Many of the people at the party, some of who are very much beer people did not even know Austria Had a Trappist brewery.

To be fair I did not know until my brother brought me the bottle a few weeks ago.

Everything was well received. Belgium does it right.

Hi.
    The Labels were used like a long sticker to wrap all the bottles together when they bought them at the Monastery, and when they took them apart the labels just stuck in place, so they left em. They are genuine, but not designed to act as a bottle label of any sort.

Westy 8 and 12 were better than the Rochefort and Westmalle, but only just.

The new one to that party Gregorius from The Trappist monastery of Stift Engelszellaz was very good as well. Many of the people at the party, some of who are very much beer people did not even know Austria Had a Trappist brewery.

To be fair I did not know until my brother brought me the bottle a few weeks ago.

Everything was well received. Belgium does it right.
    Awesome! What a great tasting - super cool about the labels used to hold the beer together (had no idea! ) I love themed showdowns - really gives people a chance to try a bunch of similar beers and find the ones they like.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast