Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 76 to 100 of 100
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    only one rule, don't ride your good bike to the pub

  2. #77
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,570
    My rule is never buy a beer that has too many pictures of hops, has the word "hop" or "hoppy" or "hop bomb" anywhere written on the bottle because I know all it is a super unbalanced hop forward/aft style of the category.

    I love a good IPA and DIPA but prefer some balance to the brew. Anyone can make a super hoppy beer by throwing more hops and hop extract into it. My neighbor even makes a batches in his garage that is equal to if not better than many American IPA's they sell here in the store. It takes skill to make a well balanced version of the style with some good malty character balance.

    And another rule - $12 is my bomber/750 price limit. Once Chimay Blue, La Chouffe and St. Bernardus go over I'll have to readjust.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  3. #78
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    And another rule - $12 is my bomber/750 price limit. Once Chimay Blue, La Chouffe and St. Bernardus go over I'll have to readjust.
    I don't have any price rules, though I probably should......

    What about barrel aged beers? IMO they are worth the extra money because it took extra time and storage for them to be ready. The most expensive Barrel Aged beer I bought this year was 50/50 Eclipse and Bourbon Barrel Aged Speedway Stout from Alesmith, both were about $28.00.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,418
    If you can read the menu through the beer it's not dark enough.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,100
    Where are you guys finding your beer for 8-9 bucks a six pack. A cheap sixer of rolling cock is at least 7.59 around here. You'll be lucky to find anything near microbrew status for under 10 bucks. Heck even blue moon, a non-microbrew is 9+

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slow Danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Where are you guys finding your beer for 8-9 bucks a six pack. A cheap sixer of rolling cock is at least 7.59 around here. You'll be lucky to find anything near microbrew status for under 10 bucks. Heck even blue moon, a non-microbrew is 9+
    Depends upon where you live, I'd imagine. I can get any number of quality six-packs for under $9, but I live in rural Oregon. This includes most Oregon beers sold and marketed in six packs--and many from Washington and California too. Heck, I just bought a sixer of Terminal Gravity's Breakfast Porter for $8.19 in the local version of Whole Foods in Portland, Oregon, so it's not just a rural thing, or a budget store thing either.

    You must live on the East Coast, right?
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    674
    No major rules…to me beer is like a trail take it and see where you end up.

    No fruit beer….just can’t call it beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

  8. #83
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    No fruit beer….just can’t call it beer.
    How do you define fruit beer?

    Have you ever had a high quality sour that is made with fruit? They can be amazing.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  9. #84
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,865
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Depends upon where you live, I'd imagine. I can get any number of quality six-packs for under $9, but I live in rural Oregon. This includes most Oregon beers sold and marketed in six packs--and many from Washington and California too. Heck, I just bought a sixer of Terminal Gravity's Breakfast Porter for $8.19 in the local version of Whole Foods in Portland, Oregon, so it's not just a rural thing, or a budget store thing either.

    You must live on the East Coast, right?
    Often times it has a lot to do with alcohol taxes specific to certain states.

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ltdan12a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    135
    1: Cold*
    2: Wet*
    3: Can't have a TV commercial (Exceptions made for Sam Adams)*

    *any of these rules can be bypassed if the beer is free....

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slow Danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Often times it has a lot to do with alcohol taxes specific to certain states.
    Yup. Here's kind of a cool map of rates by state, for those who like to geek out:

    http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...beer_large.png
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

  12. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    How do you define fruit beer?

    Have you ever had a high quality sour that is made with fruit? They can be amazing.
    Yes I have tried sours, the last was the dissident from Deschutes, while I can appreciate that it’s a craft brew I can’t call it beer in the true sense. But who cares who defines what as anything….if you like it. Those that like it go for it, no hatn’ cause that style appeals to you. It’s not for me, but I’m not a snob that will cast ya out of the pub just a bit of ribbing….

    Beers that I consumed New Year’s Eve

    The Abyss 2010, Black Butte MMX, Celebrator Dopplebock, Pauliner Salvator, Mammoth Hair of the Bear, Lost Coast Downtown Brown to name a few…..no sours, minimal hops, no fruit and no wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

  13. #88
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,865
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    while I can appreciate that it’s a craft brew I can’t call it beer in the true sense.
    Why not? Fruit is an adjunct like any other found in beer. Your Abyss and Black Butte XX series had adjuncts in them too.

    Nice selections BTW. Ever try any dunkelweizens? If you like doppelbocks, you may appreciate a good dunkel too.

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Why not? Fruit is an adjunct like any other found in beer. Your Abyss and Black Butte XX series had adjuncts in them too.

    Nice selections BTW. Ever try any dunkelweizens? If you like doppelbocks, you may appreciate a good dunkel too.
    Ya I know that beers I like are altered from the basics of water, barley and yeast.... but the taste isn't for me and not what I personally want in a beer. If I want something fruity overtones it better have an umbrella in it

    I have tried dunkelweizens while not bad just aren't my favorite. The wheat just doesn't appeal to me. Drink a dunkel on occasion as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

  15. #90
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,674
    Bluestate, that map is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  16. #91
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I don't have any price rules, though I probably should......

    What about barrel aged beers? IMO they are worth the extra money because it took extra time and storage for them to be ready. The most expensive Barrel Aged beer I bought this year was 50/50 Eclipse and Bourbon Barrel Aged Speedway Stout from Alesmith, both were about $28.00.
    The last 20 dollar bottle I bought was a barrell aged Yeti that was infected. That was last year. Come to think of it ive bought a few bottles of Crooked Stave which were over the $12 mark. See how tough it is??!!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  17. #92
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Yup. Here's kind of a cool map of rates by state, for those who like to geek out:

    http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...beer_large.png
    Need to make the 45 minute drive up to Wyoming more often!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  18. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,673
    Don't drink and drive!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  19. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    OP, we have verrrrry different viewpoints on this. Though we may still enjoy the same beer, many of the beers I enjoy would break all of your rules. I buy what i want to try, and don't limit myself to rules that prevent me from trying something new.
    Ditto. I have almost exactly the opposite opinion on everything the OP has stated.

    - The best beers are usually high ABV, it's part of what gives them their strength and complexity. 7.5 - 11% is my common range.

    - Feeling that drinking 3 beers or less is a 'waste' is stupid when the idea is to enjoy the beer. Drinking more than 3 beers is nothing more than getting drunk, and has nothing to do with actually appreciating the beer. I like a good buzz too, but a truly great beer experience usually involves nursing a single strong beer over a fair bit of time.

    I hope all the Americans here appreciate how cheap their beer is. In BC, a decent 6-pack of standard fare micro brew is $11-13. Everything in America is cheap as hell, though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

  20. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slow Danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Ditto. I have almost exactly the opposite opinion on everything the OP has stated.

    - The best beers are usually high ABV, it's part of what gives them their strength and complexity. 7.5 - 11% is my common range.

    - Feeling that drinking 3 beers or less is a 'waste' is stupid when the idea is to enjoy the beer. Drinking more than 3 beers is nothing more than getting drunk, and has nothing to do with actually appreciating the beer. I like a good buzz too, but a truly great beer experience usually involves nursing a single strong beer over a fair bit of time.

    I hope all the Americans here appreciate how cheap their beer is. In BC, a decent 6-pack of standard fare micro brew is $11-13. Everything in America is cheap as hell, though.
    You pay $11-13 for Molson's?
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6
    my main rule: stop drinking beer when I'm starting to sleep)

  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Always use a clean, room temperature, beer glass. The beer should not be too cold and preferably a craft or home brewed beer.

  23. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    OP, limiting yourself to American session beers is pretty cute. Do you drink them with a sippy cup or a bendy straw?
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    9
    Dont run out is my number one rule!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •