mtbr member
    Beer rule:

In through the mouth
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

Rogue Exterminator
    WTF?!?!?

Beer rules?

Only rule is to drink good beer.
    If it isn't good, then there is no point in drinking it.

If you want a cheep buzz, then get liquor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Yes but why did you choose this thread for that question? Start a new thread.
    Sorry about that. I just joined and don't yet have the 5 posts required to start a new thread. My bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Hit 99 bottles downtown.
    Excellent. Thanks for the suggestion. I will check that out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

On why I'm so ridiculous...

As the OP, I think now is a good time to come back in and clarify a few things--misconceptions that are all my fault for choosing my words lazily. My “rules” represent a method for confronting a world where I have 300 choices when I enter the store. These “rules” are dictated by a philosophy—which, by the very nature of any philosophy, requires many words to adequately explain. So I beg your patience.

To accept, or at least entertain, my “rules”, one must understand how I define “beer drinking”. True beer drinking is a communal activity and requires some sort of “event”. This may be a stop at the corner bar to visit with the neighbors, maybe watching live music, a barbeque, a party, sporting event, or at the very least a movie or sporting event on television. Activities such as these require time. Large chunks of it. Real beer drinking is more marathon than sprint. If I had to put a clock on it, I’d say true beer drinking requires three hours on average. Some good company is mandatory as well. Over the course of these three hours, the drinker must inebriate themselves somewhere North of a mild buzz, but also somewhere South of drunkenness. Why drink unless it’s to allow the alcohol to take affect?

Now, pairing beer with food, having a beer while completing a task at home, or having one beer before bedtime is, according to my philosophy, not beer drinking. Oh, these are perfectly fine and wonderful endeavors, but I categorize these activities differently. And often alter my purchases accordingly. Also, I consider beer to be a working-class beverage. It has to be affordable.

So let’s apply this to the rules I laid out in the previous post:

1. The six pack rule. In three hours time, this means I’m having two beers per hour. Hardly alcoholic territory. If I’m drinking a beer too high in alcohol content, I’m done after hour one, or hour two at the latest. That’s no fun. For me, my body size and metabolism, an ABV of between 6-7% works best to achieve the desired buzz. I didn’t mean to imply that stronger beers aren’t delicious. However, the closer the ABV gets to 10% or above, the less I consider it beer. It starts trending towards wine, and in some cases, hard alcohol. For example, Barleywine is not beer. Technically yes, but not by my philosophy. Too many beerficianados equate ABV to excellence.
    2. The cost rule. It's not that I don't occasionally splurge on expensive beer. However, more than half the time I do, I end up thinking of a half dozen other less expensive beers that I would have enjoyed either nearly as much, as much, or more. Stouts are my favorite style of beer. I can get any number of great ones under my cost rules. Take IPA's. I can get both Ninkasi's Total Domination or a 10 Barrel IPA for under $4 per bomber. Now I'm not going to sit an argue with others that these are the world's greatest IPA's, but man are they good and make me plenty happy. Which leads to the next rule...
    3. Don't argue IPA's. There's so many great ones, so different in their complexities, that it's often the palate of the drinker that matters more than the beer. The beerficianados focus too much on high ABV and IBU.
    4. Buy American rule. I've had plenty of European beers. Many great ones, though I admit to lacking as much knowledge as I should concerning European offerings. American crafters are doing great things in all styles of beers, not just sessions. Generally they are cheaper and fresher than the Euro beers in the store where I do most my shopping. Obviously, I would gladly drink almost any beer, but experimentation lies outside of my core philosophy on "beer drinking".

On the way out the door, I would like to say I hope everyone who reads this knows I understand how completely and utterly ridiculous this all is. But hey, I've read/taken part in stupider, more foolish, and nearly as long-winded, argue-fests over pedals in these forums. Beer is the perfect place for this kind of foolishness.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 09-16-2012 at 12:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    its a southern thing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by melonas22 View Post
    They are as follows, no binge drinking, no beer after 7pm and keystone is frowned upon harshly
    what the fudge

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Also, I consider beer to be a working-class beverage.
    You lost me at this ^.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    You lost me at this ^.
    Hey, at least you got this far. Did I lose you because you don't like to associate yourself with the working class, or because you believe this hasn't traditionally been the case?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by melonas22 View Post
    its a southern thing...
    Well, I have visited the south a number of times, but I usually end up talking about food with Southerners, not beer.

mtbr member
    My rules -
    No Macro-brews. Life is too short to waste time with crappy beer.
    Be open minded. Try different beers when ever possible.
    I have never had enough to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    OP, limiting yourself to American session beers is pretty cute. Do you drink them with a sippy cup or a bendy straw?

I have a bunch of beer rules. It just depends on which drinking game I'm playing.
    Ah, thanks to you I realize my philosophy is a "sessions" style philosophy, and like everything else I learn on the internet about any philosophy I think I've come to through experience, I've learned the monks invented this philosophy a thousand years ago. Anyways, my sessions require a beer between 6-7% abv.

Hi.
    Hey, at least you got this far. Did I lose you because you don't like to associate yourself with the working class, or because you believe this hasn't traditionally been the case?
    Ah, thanks to you I realize my philosophy is a "sessions" style philosophy, and like everything else I learn on the internet about any philosophy I think I've come to through experience, I've learned the monks invented this philosophy a thousand years ago. Anyways, my sessions require a beer between 6-7% abv.
    The fact that you consider beer to be a "working-class" beverage means you need to learn more about beer. Beer is often harder to make and more expensive per oz. than wine. Does that mean wine is working class too?

And I doubt you can kill a sixer of 7% beer without violating your first rule. Unless you can make your way through 8 shots without feeling like you've had too much. In which case I stand corrected.

FYI most monk-brewed trappist beers aren't session beers (defined as having 5% ABV or less.) Their beer was initially brewed for sustenance, and then for money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So this thread has proven fruitful to me in the end. I realize now, as a long-time beer drinker--one who has tested so many thousands of beers--that I've never really studied the language of beer because, instead, I drink and study mountain bike forums. Thanks to this thread/forum I see that my philosophy falls under a specific category and that's "sessions" style beer. Though I knew my philosophy was nothing new or special, I only now have learned that my version of "sessions" is quite a bit stronger than what has been traditionally considered a sessions beer. So if a sessions beer is traditionally 4-5% ABV, I'm between 6-7%. Really, the only perspective my views can bring is that a great beer should cost a person around $4 per bomber and $8 per six-pack. And that the minimum wage should be at least $8 per hour so a person can go buy a sixer of fine beer for an hour's work (actually more if I'm making a political argument).

Let my thread stand as evidence for why a person should learn more about beer terminology:

All About Beer Magazine » Session Beers: Drink More, Drink Better!

SHOULD THE DEFINITION OF SESSION BEERS BE CHANGED? « ALEHEADS
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 09-18-2012 at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The fact that you consider beer to be a "working-class" beverage means you need to learn more about beer. Beer is often harder to make and more expensive per oz. than wine. Does that mean wine is working class too?

And I doubt you can kill a sixer of 7% beer without violating your first rule. Unless you can make your way through 8 shots without feeling like you've had too much. In which case I stand corrected.

FYI most monk-brewed trappist beers aren't session beers (defined as having 5% ABV or less.) Their beer was initially brewed for sustenance, and then for money.
    1. I don't want to argue what is or isn't working class, but my simple definition is that at some point a beer gets so expensive that a working class person begins dipping into college funds, house payments, vehicle repair funds, or retirement in order to purchase. For me that point is $4 bomber or $8 six pack in the grocery store.

2. I don't know all the brewer's terminology, but I've been beer drinking long enough and often enough to have had as many varieties as the next drinker.

3. I can drink 8 shots over the course of 3 to 4 hours, as is the definition of sessions drinking. No problem. But I did say between 6-7% abv. As I stated, my version of a "session" requires more than a mild buzz and less than drunkeness. Give me 4 hours to drink 8 shots, again, no problem. I don't think that's unusual.

4. I was being sarcastic about the monks. I should have used an emoticon. But if the monks were brewing for sustenance, they were brewing for the working class.

Always in the wrong gear
    1. The only thing you use a Guiness glasses for is... GUINESS! Do not put water, milk, soda, in my Guiness glasses.

2. If drinking from a bottle and you finish your bottle. It is not to be set on an elevated surface, must be placed on the floor or in a recycling bin.

3. If you get up to get another beer for yourself, you must bring a round for all others in need of a fresh beer.

4. Since I collect bottle caps. All caps go in the cap bin except Bud, Budlite, Miller, Coors.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
    I'll preface this with what I'm currently drinking disqualifies rule numero dos in my book. It happens to be a 25.4oz bottle of Brewery Ommegang "The art of darkness" (8.4%). $15.95 in Nashville, TN and not available in Chattanooga, TN. However........Yazoo Brewing's "Sue"(9.4%) could be a fantastic example of your 2nd rule coming in just under $5.00 for a 25.4oz and bursting with goodness.

The only rules in my house are between my wife and I:
    1- Beer I buy for myself, is mine only. The wife must supply her own as I will not freely share.
    2- Beer she buys for herself receives a 1 month restraining order. After that, well; she was warned....
    3- If you are not the purchaser of said beer, you are entitled to a sip of the forbidden nectar to determine future purchases.
    4.-If at any time rule 1 is ignored, rule 2 is also ignored and all beer is transferred to a super secret location with a super secret hidden mini fridge.

She's drinking Newcastle "Werewolf" tonight. She's on her third one. She bought the six pack 13.75 days ago.

Not that I'm counting.
    These are excellent rules, except for number 2. I would give it two full weekends or two weeks at most.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    1. The only thing you use a Guiness glasses for is... GUINESS! Do not put water, milk, soda, in my Guiness glasses.

2. If drinking from a bottle and you finish your bottle. It is not to be set on an elevated surface, must be placed on the floor or in a recycling bin.

3. If you get up to get another beer for yourself, you must bring a round for all others in need of a fresh beer.

4. Since I collect bottle caps. All caps go in the cap bin except Bud, Budlite, Miller, Coors.....
    Excellent. I use #3 as well. This is also a "sessions" style rule.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No fruit in beer! Man Law

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you want to get a job done in your garage, you should take at least one beer.

passed out in your garden
    beer rules???

as long as I can still get them from the fridge, I can keep drinking
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    These are awesome beer rules

mtbr member
    Rule number one. Don't listen to beer snobs.

Threw a large party many years ago. Bought three 50 gal drums, the kind made out of paper. They colapse in a couple days and you can throw them out. No I was not into the keg hastle and foam and pumping etc.

Drum #1 had Bohemia-bohemian? I forget but pricy and yummy.
    Drum#2 Henry weinharts private reserve.
    Drum#3 Freakin HAMMS in a can MMMMMYUMMY.

Right around midnight there was no beer left but the Hamms drum full to the top. By barely still dark we
    were out of Hamms. It was fun, and funny, and a big part of the laughs.

Accept for the two day hangover.

I refuse to discriminate, only beer I don't prefer is the molassis kind.

~Disc~Golf~
    "Beer rules." - yes, yes it does
    " Do you have any? " yes, yes I do
    Honestly... ahh I give up

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    I have 2 rules. First, never send a keg back with beer in it and second, Denogginizer is for after the ride not during.

Beer makes me happy!!
    Don't sip.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast