Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Beer recommendations here.

I know there are threads for recent pick-ups and top 5 and what are you drinking right now. But has there ever been, or should there be, a sticky/thread where people can go to ask for specific recommendations. For example: can anyone recommend a Belgian-style... beer at a reasonable price point that approaches the quality of ....

I often want to ask these kinds of questions, but I don't want to jump in on other's threads.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 01-11-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Is there a recommendation thread?
    Yes...you just made it.

Looking for anything specific?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    I recommend an Admin or moderator make this post Sticky and rename it to Beer Recommendations here.

For Belgium, if you like darker ones I would suggest picking up a bottle of Achel, of the Trappist beers it is the most recent one to come on the scene being a mere 200 years old.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    For Belgium, if you like darker ones I would suggest picking up a bottle of Achel, of the Trappist beers it is the most recent one to come on the scene being a mere 200 years old.
    I'll add Duvel, Orval, St. Bernardus, Val Dieu, Westmalle, and Chimay.
    All approachable, both in price, and palate.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I'll add Duvel, Orval, St. Bernardus, Val Dieu, Westmalle, and Chimay.
    All approachable, both in price, and palate.
    This is perfect. Thanks. And thanks for the Achel recommend, kjr.

If this thread sticks around, I'll make some good use of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus ABT 12.... Wait, there are others worth drinking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, I'm thinking about affordable. I've had some Beglians over the years, like Chimay and a couple American versions, but I've never gone back to them. I just want to give Belgians/Abbey's another try without sinking a ton of money. So if anybody has any recommendos that approach the quality of the "big-time" Belgians, but at an approachable price, I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'd suggest looking into local micro's that verge on the belgian style. I've found that a local imperial stout tastes very close to my favorite Rochefort 10 (quad). As for American Belgian style ales, have you tried Goose Island Matilda? It's not bad, cheaper than Rochefort at $9-12 for a 4pack vs $8 EACH for Rochefort 10.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by SLV2NON View Post
    I've found that a local imperial stout tastes very close to my favorite Rochefort 10 (quad).
    If an imperial stout is tasting like a Belgium quad there is something wrong, or the brewer is using a very odd stout recipe.

Chimay is probably the most affordable of the Trappist beers, and widely available.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    If an imperial stout is tasting like a Belgium quad there is something wrong, or the brewer is using a very odd stout recipe.

Chimay is probably the most affordable of the Trappist beers, and widely available.
    It might have just been the fogginess of drinking two high alc beers back to back with others...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I picked up a bottle of Brothers Thelonius Abbey from North Coast Brewing. $8 for a 25oz bottle. It was the cheapest I could find on quick glance--I had my toddler son with me so couldn't really look hard. The Chimay was going for $12 for the same size bottle. Duval too. It about killed me to pay $8 for the Monk...that's how cheap I am.

Edit: The Thelonious Abbey was pretty dang good. I have no idea how it stacks up to a real Abbey though.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 01-15-2013 at 10:47 PM.

cyberbully
    afligem dubbel is one of my faves. very decently priced in Ontario, the dubbel is on sale for $2.25/330mL (11 oz) right now.

leffe brune is also priced about the same down here. also a favorite.

Unibroue is a Quebec brewery that brews belgian style beers that are just pure awesomeness, easily among the best in Canada, if not the best. Terrible (en francais) is the sh*t. As is Maudite. As is Fin Du Monde. The others are good too, but those are my faves from unibroue. These should be available in the US.

btw: Chimay goes for $6/ 25 oz here.
    Last edited by SkidVicious; 02-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I picked up a bottle of Brothers Thelonius Abbey from North Coast Brewing. $8 for a 25oz bottle.

You violated rule #2!

Nice work.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    Unibroue is a Quebec brewery that brews belgian style beers that are just pure awesomeness, easily among the best in Canada, if not the best. Terrible (en francais) is the sh*t. As is Maudite. As is Fin Du Monde. The others are good too, but those are my faves from unibroue. These should be available in the US
    And for the budget-minded, there's the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, a Belgian strong, brewed by Unibroue for TJ's -- still available in quantity for $5 here. Unibroue has also released a new contract brew for TJ's called, Providential Ale, a golden for $6. Not quite as good as the better years of the vintage ale in my opinion, but definitely worth the price -- fairly balanced, with nice mouth-feel. I grabbed a couple extra bottles for aging 'cause why not for $6 each...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    You violated rule #2!

Nice work.
    I actually broke at least 3 of my rules. Every prisoner eventually breaks for the fence. But remember, I made a distinction between what I consider actual beer drinking and having "a beer". And though the Brother's Thelonius was quite tasty, there are a lot of beers half the price to make me just as happy. I'm sticking to my philosophy, unless I suddenly hit the lotto.

Rogue Exterminator
    Another good Belgium would Maredsous Tripel

For more affordable Belgium Beers look at Brewery Ommegang.
    They are not "true" Belgium Beers since they are made in the US so they would be considered a Belgium Style. However, they have some good and lower priced beers.

Belgian

In addition to those already mentioned:
    DeDolle - IMO every one of their beers is stellar: Welkom op de website van De Dolle Brouwers bvba !
    And +1 on Ommegang and Unibroue for north american belgians, easy to find and relatively affordable at least on the right coast.

Afric Pepperbird
    Horses Dong

edit: oops, I see it's actually spelled Corsendonk

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    And for the budget-minded, there's the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, a Belgian strong, brewed by Unibroue for TJ's -- still available in quantity for $5 here. Unibroue has also released a new contract brew for TJ's called, Providential Ale, a golden for $6. Not quite as good as the better years of the vintage ale in my opinion, but definitely worth the price -- fairly balanced, with nice mouth-feel. I grabbed a couple extra bottles for aging 'cause why not for $6 each...
    That's a great recommendation.

I have seen 4-bottle Unibroue taster packs at TJs for $7-8, with one each (12 oz.) of Maudite, Trois Pistoles, La Fin Du Monde, and Don de Dieu. Great for gifts!
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by SLV2NON View Post
    It might have just been the fogginess of drinking two high alc beers back to back with others...
    I can understand that.

don't try this at home
    another Belgian style recommendation would be to try Damnation and Salvation from Russian River Brewing. although more known for the Plinys, they do make some tasty Belgian style ales. my favorite of their's is Mortification, but I don't think you can get it outside of the brewery.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika View Post
    another Belgian style recommendation would be to try Damnation and Salvation from Russian River Brewing. although more known for the Plinys, they do make some tasty Belgian style ales. my favorite of their's is Mortification, but I don't think you can get it outside of the brewery.
    love the name. and have heard good things about Russian River!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would add Rodenbach, a sour flemish red. Aso try some Allagash from Maine, the white is very nice.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    North Coast's "Pranqster" is one of my favorite Belgium style beers that is non-Belgium. The TJ's vintage ale is also one I get a case of every year. It's a bit of a tradition among my people to do a vertical tasting of them on Super Bowl Sunday. In general they tend to peak at around 3 years, but are good enough fresh and I had a 2006 last year which tasted great. It's a fun thing little tradition.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Anything ommegang works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast