• 01-11-2013
    Slow Danger
    Beer recommendations here.
    I know there are threads for recent pick-ups and top 5 and what are you drinking right now. But has there ever been, or should there be, a sticky/thread where people can go to ask for specific recommendations. For example: can anyone recommend a Belgian-style... beer at a reasonable price point that approaches the quality of ....

    I often want to ask these kinds of questions, but I don't want to jump in on other's threads.
  • 01-11-2013
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Is there a recommendation thread?
    Yes...you just made it. ;)

    Looking for anything specific?
  • 01-11-2013
    Klurejr
    I recommend an Admin or moderator make this post Sticky and rename it to Beer Recommendations here.


    For Belgium, if you like darker ones I would suggest picking up a bottle of Achel, of the Trappist beers it is the most recent one to come on the scene being a mere 200 years old.
  • 01-11-2013
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    For Belgium, if you like darker ones I would suggest picking up a bottle of Achel, of the Trappist beers it is the most recent one to come on the scene being a mere 200 years old.

    I'll add Duvel, Orval, St. Bernardus, Val Dieu, Westmalle, and Chimay.
    All approachable, both in price, and palate.
  • 01-11-2013
    Slow Danger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I'll add Duvel, Orval, St. Bernardus, Val Dieu, Westmalle, and Chimay.
    All approachable, both in price, and palate.

    This is perfect. Thanks. And thanks for the Achel recommend, kjr.

    If this thread sticks around, I'll make some good use of it.
  • 01-15-2013
    SLV2NON
    Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus ABT 12.... Wait, there are others worth drinking?
  • 01-15-2013
    Slow Danger
    Well, I'm thinking about affordable. I've had some Beglians over the years, like Chimay and a couple American versions, but I've never gone back to them. I just want to give Belgians/Abbey's another try without sinking a ton of money. So if anybody has any recommendos that approach the quality of the "big-time" Belgians, but at an approachable price, I'm all ears.
  • 01-15-2013
    SLV2NON
    I'd suggest looking into local micro's that verge on the belgian style. I've found that a local imperial stout tastes very close to my favorite Rochefort 10 (quad). As for American Belgian style ales, have you tried Goose Island Matilda? It's not bad, cheaper than Rochefort at $9-12 for a 4pack vs $8 EACH for Rochefort 10.
  • 01-15-2013
    Klurejr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SLV2NON View Post
    I've found that a local imperial stout tastes very close to my favorite Rochefort 10 (quad).

    If an imperial stout is tasting like a Belgium quad there is something wrong, or the brewer is using a very odd stout recipe.

    Chimay is probably the most affordable of the Trappist beers, and widely available.
  • 01-15-2013
    SLV2NON
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    If an imperial stout is tasting like a Belgium quad there is something wrong, or the brewer is using a very odd stout recipe.

    Chimay is probably the most affordable of the Trappist beers, and widely available.

    It might have just been the fogginess of drinking two high alc beers back to back with others... :D
  • 01-15-2013
    Slow Danger
    I picked up a bottle of Brothers Thelonius Abbey from North Coast Brewing. $8 for a 25oz bottle. It was the cheapest I could find on quick glance--I had my toddler son with me so couldn't really look hard. The Chimay was going for $12 for the same size bottle. Duval too. It about killed me to pay $8 for the Monk...that's how cheap I am.

    Edit: The Thelonious Abbey was pretty dang good. I have no idea how it stacks up to a real Abbey though.
  • 01-15-2013
    SkidVicious
    afligem dubbel is one of my faves. very decently priced in Ontario, the dubbel is on sale for $2.25/330mL (11 oz) right now.

    leffe brune is also priced about the same down here. also a favorite.

    Unibroue is a Quebec brewery that brews belgian style beers that are just pure awesomeness, easily among the best in Canada, if not the best. Terrible (en francais) is the sh*t. As is Maudite. As is Fin Du Monde. The others are good too, but those are my faves from unibroue. These should be available in the US.

    btw: Chimay goes for $6/ 25 oz here.
  • 01-16-2013
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I picked up a bottle of Brothers Thelonius Abbey from North Coast Brewing. $8 for a 25oz bottle.


    You violated rule #2!

    Nice work. :D
  • 01-16-2013
    GeePhroh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    Unibroue is a Quebec brewery that brews belgian style beers that are just pure awesomeness, easily among the best in Canada, if not the best. Terrible (en francais) is the sh*t. As is Maudite. As is Fin Du Monde. The others are good too, but those are my faves from unibroue. These should be available in the US

    And for the budget-minded, there's the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, a Belgian strong, brewed by Unibroue for TJ's -- still available in quantity for $5 here. Unibroue has also released a new contract brew for TJ's called, Providential Ale, a golden for $6. Not quite as good as the better years of the vintage ale in my opinion, but definitely worth the price -- fairly balanced, with nice mouth-feel. I grabbed a couple extra bottles for aging 'cause why not for $6 each... :thumbsup:
  • 01-16-2013
    Slow Danger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    You violated rule #2!

    Nice work. :D

    I actually broke at least 3 of my rules. Every prisoner eventually breaks for the fence. But remember, I made a distinction between what I consider actual beer drinking and having "a beer". And though the Brother's Thelonius was quite tasty, there are a lot of beers half the price to make me just as happy. I'm sticking to my philosophy, unless I suddenly hit the lotto.
  • 01-16-2013
    kjlued
    Another good Belgium would Maredsous Tripel

    For more affordable Belgium Beers look at Brewery Ommegang.
    They are not "true" Belgium Beers since they are made in the US so they would be considered a Belgium Style. However, they have some good and lower priced beers.
  • 01-16-2013
    jonz
    Belgian
    In addition to those already mentioned:
    DeDolle - IMO every one of their beers is stellar: Welkom op de website van De Dolle Brouwers bvba !
    And +1 on Ommegang and Unibroue for north american belgians, easy to find and relatively affordable at least on the right coast.
  • 01-16-2013
    dirt farmer
    Horses Dong

    edit: oops, I see it's actually spelled Corsendonk
  • 01-16-2013
    random walk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    And for the budget-minded, there's the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, a Belgian strong, brewed by Unibroue for TJ's -- still available in quantity for $5 here. Unibroue has also released a new contract brew for TJ's called, Providential Ale, a golden for $6. Not quite as good as the better years of the vintage ale in my opinion, but definitely worth the price -- fairly balanced, with nice mouth-feel. I grabbed a couple extra bottles for aging 'cause why not for $6 each... :thumbsup:

    That's a great recommendation.

    I have seen 4-bottle Unibroue taster packs at TJs for $7-8, with one each (12 oz.) of Maudite, Trois Pistoles, La Fin Du Monde, and Don de Dieu. Great for gifts!
  • 01-17-2013
    Klurejr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SLV2NON View Post
    It might have just been the fogginess of drinking two high alc beers back to back with others... :D

    I can understand that. :p
  • 01-20-2013
    moschika
    another Belgian style recommendation would be to try Damnation and Salvation from Russian River Brewing. although more known for the Plinys, they do make some tasty Belgian style ales. my favorite of their's is Mortification, but I don't think you can get it outside of the brewery.
  • 01-25-2013
    SpaceCraft
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by moschika View Post
    another Belgian style recommendation would be to try Damnation and Salvation from Russian River Brewing. although more known for the Plinys, they do make some tasty Belgian style ales. my favorite of their's is Mortification, but I don't think you can get it outside of the brewery.

    love the name. and have heard good things about Russian River!
  • 01-25-2013
    leeboh
    I would add Rodenbach, a sour flemish red. Aso try some Allagash from Maine, the white is very nice.
  • 01-25-2013
    Boognish
    North Coast's "Pranqster" is one of my favorite Belgium style beers that is non-Belgium. The TJ's vintage ale is also one I get a case of every year. It's a bit of a tradition among my people to do a vertical tasting of them on Super Bowl Sunday. In general they tend to peak at around 3 years, but are good enough fresh and I had a 2006 last year which tasted great. It's a fun thing little tradition.
  • 02-02-2013
    The OLE Bagger
    Anything ommegang works.
  • 02-02-2013
    eclipse24
    I'm currently drinking Leffe Brune, but was able to pickup a six pack of Bell's Hopslam yesterday. Wow, that's a potent beer!! Tastes great, smells very fruity, and 10% ABV.
  • 02-02-2013
    Slow Danger
    Ok, so my original intent with this thread was to provide a place where people could ask for recommendations for any kind/style of beer. I got great replies on the Belgians, but I hope people will make use of this thread as well. To change directions a bit, what about milk/breakfast stouts? I've tried Founders, Elysian, and Widmer. If anyone has recommends, I'd be all ears. However, I'm not a beer trade/beer in the mail guy, so try and think of breakfast stouts that should be available in the Northwest.
  • 02-02-2013
    Max24
    Afligem duppel FTW!!
  • 02-02-2013
    The OLE Bagger
    Ommegang subduction happening right now.
  • 02-02-2013
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I've tried Founders...

    If you've had Founders Breakfast it's all downhill from there.
  • 02-03-2013
    Slow Danger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    If you've had Founders Breakfast it's all downhill from there.

    Yeah, it's great. But hard to find where I live. I actually found the Widmer breakfast stout surprisingly good.
  • 02-03-2013
    flyinmike
    The Yeti stouts from Great Divide Brewery are all pretty good..
    the Chocolate and Belgian style being my favorites :thumbsup:

    Great Divide | Great Minds Drink Alike Beers
  • 02-03-2013
    KevinGT
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Horses Dong

    edit: oops, I see it's actually spelled Corsendonk

    Had a Corsendonk last week for the first time and it was fantastic.

    I recommend Leffe Blonde. They actually sell it in Publix grocery stores in Atlanta and it's very good.
  • 02-04-2013
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Yeah, it's great. But hard to find where I live. I actually found the Widmer breakfast stout surprisingly good.

    Founders doesn't distribute to Oregon. Where are you getting it?
  • 02-04-2013
    Klurejr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Ok, so my original intent with this thread was to provide a place where people could ask for recommendations for any kind/style of beer. I got great replies on the Belgians, but I hope people will make use of this thread as well. To change directions a bit, what about milk/breakfast stouts? I've tried Founders, Elysian, and Widmer. If anyone has recommends, I'd be all ears. However, I'm not a beer trade/beer in the mail guy, so try and think of breakfast stouts that should be available in the Northwest.

    Have you had Left hand Milk Stout Nitro?
  • 02-04-2013
    Slow Danger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Founders doesn't distribute to Oregon. Where are you getting it?

    Ah, so that's why I can't find it anywhere. I had a couple bottles in Alabama while visiting family. Almost made it worth the trip. Roll Tide.
  • 02-04-2013
    Slow Danger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Have you had Left hand Milk Stout Nitro?

    No, but I keep looking for it. I live in the middle of nowhere, and am thankful to have one "beer" store that carries a really unbelievable selection for where I live. This particular store sells more "ice" beer, weed pipes, and porn than craft beer, but they do have over 300 beers. It's kinda unreal actually. I can also ask if he can get particular beers, and he will, which is cool.

    I had a bottle of Big Sky Brewing's Cowboy Coffee Porter yesterday. Not a breakfast stout, and certainly not in the league of Founder's, but I thought it one of the better coffee porters I've come across, and certainly my favorite of the Big Sky beers.
  • 02-04-2013
    Slow Danger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by racewrench View Post
    The Yeti stouts from Great Divide Brewery are all pretty good..
    the Chocolate and Belgian style being my favorites :thumbsup:

    Great Divide | Great Minds Drink Alike Beers

    They have the Chocolate at my beer store. I'll check to see if it's the barrel aged or regular. Thanks for the tip.
  • 02-04-2013
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Ah, so that's why I can't find it anywhere. I had a couple bottles in Alabama while visiting family. Almost made it worth the trip. Roll Tide.

    Oh awesome, definitely a great beer - really too bad they don't distribute as they're one of my favorite breweries in the US. Worth the price of checking your luggage to bring some home!
  • 02-06-2013
    rideczech
    Bernard here in Czech is an awesome tipple!