Beer Please!

Beer Proven to have more health benefits than Red Wine

This is a really interesting read about all the health benefits of craft beer. (Not Budweiser)

The Stone Blog » Craft Beer?s Heath Benefits

"Beer can also decrease your risk of contracting cancer! Researchers theorize that beer’s sugars help block the carcinogens from forming. Thus, using beer as a marinade for your meat before you grill or pan-fry it has been shown to eliminate approximately 70% of the carcinogens."
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Just like most things, moderation is key.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    This is a really interesting read about all the health benefits of craft beer. (Not Budweiser)

The Stone Blog » Craft Beer?s Heath Benefits

"Beer can also decrease your risk of contracting cancer! Researchers theorize that beer’s sugars help block the carcinogens from forming. Thus, using beer as a marinade for your meat before you grill or pan-fry it has been shown to eliminate approximately 70% of the carcinogens."
    I only needed to follow one of his links to a "study" to see that this blog post is ********. The Harvard study he cites as showing that beer was better for your heart than wine does NOT state that.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I only needed to follow one of his links to a "study" to see that this blog post is ********. The Harvard study he cites as showing that beer was better for your heart than wine does NOT state that.
    Correct, it does not state that as fact, but rather alludes to the idea based on some uncorroborated studies.
    The number of women drinking at the extremes of consumption, however, was small, and so the CIs were wide. We did find that light-beer drinking was protective against chronic hypertension. Cross-sectional data from Japan also suggest a protective blood pressure effect among exclusive beer drinking compared with drinking other beverages.24 Given the overlapping CIs associated with the beverage-specific estimates, however, further studies are needed to verify these results and to assess whether any protective effect is due to the nonalcoholic ingredients associated with beer consumption or to other lifestyle factors associated with beer consumption.
    Bill is a knowledgeable guy for sure, but this is just a fun post for the Stone blog, don't take it too seriously. A lot of this stuff pertains to alcohol in general (Beer, Wine, Liquor), and most other accounts are theorized.

Plus, he is not a real doctor, he just got that nickname during a stint as a medic in the military.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We are talking craft beer here, not the fizzy yellow stuff—mainstream macro beers
    He then lists all sorts of benefits, but doesn't say why they are exclusive to craft beers, he does list silica as theoretically good for bone health which he claims is exclusive to craft beers, but the rest is not explained.

A study in Finland showed that men who drank a bottle of beer a day lowered their risk of developing kidney stones by 40 percent.
    And if finland is like the rest of scandanavia they drink "yellow piss beer". I have not been there though, I do know that in Norway virtually all the beer available is "yellow piss beer".

All in all the article just makes the guy out to be a dewchebag beer snob...

Hi.
    This statement makes me laugh:

A study in Finland showed that men who drank a bottle of beer a day lowered their risk of developing kidney stones by 40 percent. Dehydration significantly increases one’s risk of developing kidney stones and beer’s high water content, as we can all attest, keeps kidneys working.

Alcohol is a diuretic. Unless the beer is very low ABV (<4%), it will act as a diuretic. This occurs via ADH inhibition and aquaporin blockage in the kidneys. Therefore any reasonable amount of alcohol with worsen dehydration, not make it better. A FAR better way to prevent kidney stones is to simply stay properly hydrated, and adjust your diet accordingly.

There are few bits of info in the article that actually discuss the difference between wine and beer. I'd be interested to see the antioxidant properties of both when placed against each other. The bottom line is that in moderation, a glass of beer or wine has plenty of health benefits, particularly to those at risk for cardiovascular disease and/or insulin-resistant diabetes.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Just like most things, moderation is key.
    For me, when it comes to bikes and beer, indulgence is key. I'm 65% healthier, but 97% more likely to fall off a mountain. My study is on-going.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    For me, when it comes to bikes and beer, indulgence is key. I'm 65% healthier, but 97% more likely to fall off a mountain. My study is on-going.
    I'm all about indulgence too. I drank so much Busch Light last weekend that I smelled like it at the gym yesterday. I kid you not.