Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    transmitter~receiver

the beer miracle

happened upon unexpectedly (this is the recreation):
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member extraordinair
    what the heck?? did it suddenly freeze?
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

transmitter~receiver

the beer miracle

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    what the heck?? did it suddenly freeze?
    Yes, which, except for it being a miracle and all, was kind of a pain in the ass because I had to wait to drink it.

mtbr member extraordinair

the beer miracle

More like a curse than a miracle then!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    is it a miracle that someone would actually drink a beer with fruit in it? or am i missing something

transmitter~receiver

the beer miracle

Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    or am i missing something
    This
    An ice cold [insert your favorite light Central American lager] with a lime and even some salt is hard to beat after a day grinding and welding (or any outdoor activity, really) in the Texas sun.
    If I thought the beer forum were about snobbery I might have withheld my first thread post here.
    More importantly... can you explain what happened?

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Mythbusters did it as well.

+1 for supercooled beer. Really has nothing to do with the lime.

mtbr member
    Ha, still pretty crazy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Lime juice raise the freezing point?

the beer miracle

Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Lime juice raise the freezing point?
    No. If anything the dissolved Salts would lower it but the quantity is too low to have much of an effect. It is a simple mechanical disturbance like tapping the bottle that causes it to fizz, creating crystals at each bubble that rapidly build on each other.

This is the same concept as behind the mentos and diet coke experiment. The mentos cause the mechanical disturbance to the soda and the surface texture of the mint is such that it causes ALL of the dissolved CO2 to come out of solution at once

Nucleation sites

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    No. If anything the dissolved Salts would lower it but the quantity is too low to have much of an effect. It is a simple mechanical disturbance like tapping the bottle that causes it to fizz, creating crystals at each bubble that rapidly build on each other.

This is the same concept as behind the mentos and diet coke experiment. The mentos cause the mechanical disturbance to the soda and the surface texture of the mint is such that it causes ALL of the dissolved CO2 to come out of solution at once

Nucleation sites
    Nah...it's a miracle...

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    This
    An ice cold [insert your favorite light Central American lager] with a lime and even some salt is hard to beat after a day grinding and welding (or any outdoor activity, really) in the Texas sun.
    If I thought the beer forum were about snobbery I might have withheld my first thread post here.
    More importantly... can you explain what happened?
    It has less to do with your liking a light Lager, and more to do with the majority of people in here not supporting InBev, Coors or Miller because they do terrible things to the small breweries and the quality of their product is sub par. If you want to drink a cold refreshing Pilsner or Light Lager on a hot day that was made at your local brewery down the street you will get plenty of support from the guys here.

Does look like a fun way to teach kids science before you pour the crap beer down the drain!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

transmitter~receiver

the beer miracle

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    It has less to do with your liking a light Lager, and more to do with the majority of people in here not supporting InBev, Coors or Miller because they do terrible things to the small breweries and the quality of their product is sub par. If you want to drink a cold refreshing Pilsner or Light Lager on a hot day that was made at your local brewery down the street you will get plenty of support from the guys here.
    I don't see how you link a comment about fruit to Coors.
    It's was a Presidente... not like it matters. You don't need a reason to springboard into a diatribe, right?
    I can't even remember the last time I drank a Miller or Coors product.

Does look like a fun way to teach kids science before you pour the crap beer down the drain!
    Its telling that you go into all of that without even knowing what the beer is.
    I'm going to give the beer forum the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's generally not as ignorant as you are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wholly smokes! The beer d@@shery! For the record you beer monger overlords there are many very fine hand crafted fruit oriented beers. Including well respected legendary Belgium beers. Infact there are so many local and home brew fruit beers here in Portland that there is a fruit beer festival dedicated to it. Not that I would ever drink that crap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When the beer is under pressure, it prevents it from freezing. Once it is opened, it begins to freeze. Agitation expedites this process. I live in a cold climate and frequently experience this when opening beer that was stored in my truck at the end of a cold ski day.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Now that sucks.
    I would love to see the expression on your face when it happend for the first time.

Gigantic Hawk
    Pretty sure that you have all missed the point. It's not about what type of beer it is or what makes it freeze. Nope, it's about Kari Byron.

mtbr member

Re: the beer miracle

Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Pretty sure that you have all missed the point. It's not about what type of beer it is or what makes it freeze. Nope, it's about Kari Byron.

I concur sir :beer:

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Eeew, gingers are creepy, specially with bad lighting and overexposure.

Hi.
    It's was a Presidente... not like it matters. You don't need a reason to springboard into a diatribe, right?

I'm going to give the beer forum the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's generally not as ignorant as you are.
    Presidente is made by AmBev which is part of AB InBev. They don't get a lot of love around here for many reasons. That doesn't mean I won't buy them, but most of us "beer geeks" prefer to support craft breweries.

That said, I love cold Mexican lager on a hot day + lime. Radlers are damn tasty too, and quite popular in Germany. I also love other fruity beers like lambics which can be very expensive and rare. No judgement against fruity beers here, unless it's in jest.

To your original question, the dissolved CO2 lowers the freezing point of the beer. Once the bottle is opened, the CO2 leaves solution and raises the freezing point of the liquid.
    Last edited by jtmartino; 03-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.

transmitter~receiver

the beer miracle

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    To your original question, the dissolved CO2 lowers the freezing point of the beer. Once the bottle is opened, the CO2 leaves solution and raises the freezing point of the liquid.

To your initial qu
    On my initial observation, I think there are several mechanisms at play, and dissolved gas leaving solution is one in this case. There are other examples of this phenomenon in which I think dissolved gas plays little to no role, which suggests that there are other factors in the mix. Thanks for the input.

On the tangent, I have little patience for "political" tirades. It was a thread about a simple observation of a physical process.
    I can tell you that in the last month I've had beers from Live Oak, Real Ale, Independence (team sponsor), No Label, Circle, Pedernales, 512, NXNW, and Thirsty Planet, minimum... I'm sure there are more.
    I think I'll leave the beer forum to the beer geeks if every thread has to have some "input" like this.
    Incidentally, the couple of local brewers I know think Coors & Budweiser are crap beers, but I've never heard them whine about the "terrible things" perpetrated on them. What's that about?

Beer Please!

Did you even read my post? I said nothing about you putting fruit in your beer, I was simply explaining to you why people were making comments about your beer in the Green glass, as Martino said it is a part of inBEV. That is what drives the dislike more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Wholly smokes! The beer d@@shery! For the record you beer monger overlords there are many very fine hand crafted fruit oriented beers. Including well respected legendary Belgium beers. Infact there are so many local and home brew fruit beers here in Portland that there is a fruit beer festival dedicated to it. Not that I would ever drink that crap.
    /facepalm

If you don't know, don't speak up. This discussion is not about Lambic beers or fruit beers.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    is it a miracle that someone would actually drink a beer with fruit in it? or am i missing something
    Did you even read my post? I said nothing about you putting fruit in your beer, I was simply explaining to you why people were making comments about your beer in the Green glass, as Martino said it is a part of inBEV. That is what drives the dislike more than anything else.
    If you didn't read the thread and don't realize that there were no comments about the green glass or evil corporate beer devils at all, only fruit, then maybe that fact will shed light on my confusion for you.

To me it sounds like the "McDonald's owns Chipotle" beef, but I'm not really interested in the ins-and-outs.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and stay out of the beer forum, even though beer is one of my favorite things and probably 95%(+) of my beer money stays within a couple hundred miles of my house (I also enjoy Saint Arnold).

I hope my momentary transgression wasn't an undue burden on delicate sensibilities and will be forgiven by the Cardinals of the beer forum. Sheesh.

Hi.
    On my initial observation, I think there are several mechanisms at play, and dissolved gas leaving solution is one in this case. There are other examples of this phenomenon in which I think dissolved gas plays little to no role, which suggests that there are other factors in the mix. Thanks for the input.
    Yeah on second thought I believe NateHawk's answer was more appropriate - I don't actually know if dissolved CO2 really lowers the freezing point that much. Nucleation plays a big factor, which I'm sure is why it works on non-carbonated liquids too. I don't believe the pressure of the container is enough to affect the freezing point, and I have seen the same trick with solutions that are not under pressure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast