Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Beer glass etiquette

The wife is using my Surly beer glass for her fruit smoothies.
    Is this appropriate?
    If not, what should I do about it?

You may answer like it's the OC.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Is this appropriate?

At my house, the beer glasses go into a different cupboard so they get used for ONLY beer. it's a pretty fair arrangement.

I ride bikes
    Leave toilet seat up, use curling iron for melting plastic stuff, poop with door open, etc until she stops.

This is unacceptable behavior and it must be stopped.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

banned
    Sep 2012
    Mine are only hand washed by me with no soap. My wife knows that the beer glasses are for beer and beer only. Our regular glasses look similar but they are more like 12 ounces and it is very easy to tell the difference. Plus the beer glasses are in the right side while regular glasses go in the left.

mtbr member
    I have 3, 2 of them are probably not replaceable, beer glasses that I use and are in the cupboard in their own row away from the the other glasses. I also hand wash them. She likes them because of their size, they are imperial pints (20oz). She does have other options and I have expressed concern that she uses them. She doesn't seem to heed my warnings or uneasiness that she could drop it or that my 1yr old will grab it off the table. I do not imbibe while the boy is awake because I do not want to take the chance that he will grab it as I interact with him. I also don't want to be in a position where I need to respond quickly because he falls or is getting into something he shouldn't and don't pay attention to how close the glass is to the edge of the table when I set it down to grab him. I hesitate to purchase one for her because I don't see them as general use glassware. I also don't want to be a D1&k about it. She is too laissez faire about them for my liking though. Perhaps I just need to find something amongst her crafting or scrapbooking tools to use as an example. Oh, the going to the bathroom with the door open won't work, I won't explain further.
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 12-21-2013 at 07:21 AM.

since 4/10/2009
    Leaving freshy shaven whiskers in the bathroom sink seems to be a pretty hot-button issue for a lot of women. maybe try that instead if pooping with the bathroom door open doesn't work.

Put them in a locking cabinet and wear the key on a string around your neck. make your point clear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have you tried hitting her?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Have you tried hitting her?
    nope, haven't tried it... weak constitution, don't have the stomach for it.
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 12-21-2013 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is this appropriate?

Why troll? Smoothie isn't even a real word.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Smoothie: a smooth, thick drink made with puréed fresh fruit and yogurt, ice cream, or milk or a thick beverage of fruit pureed in a blender with some combination of milk or yogurt, juice, and ice.Apparently, it's been a word since the '90's.
    smoothie - definition of smoothie by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Whatever ALF.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I trick my wife and kids by leaving pint glasses in the freezer while my real beer glasses are stored with the wine glasses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    I trick my wife and kids by leaving pint glasses in the freezer while my real beer glasses are stored with the wine glasses.
    This is not a bad idea. Misdirection is a good method, and she would like the chilled glass for the smoothie. This could work.

passed out in your garden
    I'd go with the hitting

or

get a new wife
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    OK, I'm just gonna flat out say no to the violence. I prefer Nelson's or Gandhi's non-violence methodology. However, I will admit I did say that an OC response was allowed, but that advice shall not be followed.

Well its a new wife then......

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Buy her some plastic tumblers in her favorite color and give them to her with a polite note that they are just for her to use with her smoothies and that you promise to not put beer in her smoothie glasses and kindly request she not put fruit in your beer glasses.

Kill her with Kindness as they say.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Smoothie: a smooth, thick drink made with puréed fresh fruit and yogurt, ice cream, or milk or a thick beverage of fruit pureed in a blender with some combination of milk or yogurt, juice, and ice.Apparently, it's been a word since the '90's.
    smoothie - definition of smoothie by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Whatever ALF.
    Smoothies sound horrid. It would need whiskey just to make it palatable.
    You could sack-up and ask her not to use your pint glasses if it's a problem for you.
    Or, wash a glass once in a while.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    Buy her a package of red solo cups for Christmas

this answer may or may not be approved by Toby Keith
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you do buy the solo cups, do not forget the ping pong balls.

mtbr member
    Glasses!?!?! You don't need any stinking glasses!!Beer glass etiquette-drink_beer_headytopper.jpg

Hi.
    Buy her another one. They're cheap. Then hide yours out of reach or somewhere she won't go, like in the garage!

I have far too many beer-specific glasses (at least 30) but I only use about 5 of them regularly. My wife knows to stay away from those.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    My wife knows to stay away from those.
    My Wife uses the Beer Glasses to Drink Beer.........

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    My Wife uses the Beer Glasses to Drink Beer.........
    You let your wife drink your beer???

squish, squish in da fish
    it's a glass get over it. so it has a "special" logo printed on it. i think you might need to change your tampon before you get an infvcktion. big deal, worry about something that matters, like what you're going to put into said glass. keep on drinking your "king of beers", killer. keep stepping one foot into tomorrow, leaving one in yesterday, and piss on today. g'day with a g'knight, from oskar blues.

ps. never drink from a can, or a bottle.

mtbr member
    This is why I rub my balls on the rim of all my pint glasses.

You let your wife drink your beer???

She actually has her own beer's she keeps in the house fridge, my beer stays in my Garage Fridge:

That is an older pic, but you get the idea. I keep only cellar-able beers in there, Sours and Stouts mostly.

I do not touch the 5 beers she currently has in the house fridge and she does not go into my fridge unless we agree to share something together... ;-)

I like turtles
    Why would I need a glass to enjoy a Coors Light?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Segregation works for me, I keep my most used collection of beer specific glassware up high and out of reach. That sacred thin glass is too fragile to entrust to novices and the less devout.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    She drinks the liquor, I drink ALL the beer...and some liquor.

Rocks belong
    Bourbon

mtbr member
    Klurejr, that is one of the most beautiful fridges I've seen in a long time. I like how the white background really makes those beer bottles pop out against it. Just gorgeous, simply marvelous.

So, I'm thinking I will attempt to make some bombers into glasses for the Mrs. Seems like it's a good idea. I'm not one for segregation, being a fan of Nelson and Mahatma, it just seems wrong. I'm all for bringing her into the beer club, she does have a few brews she likes. I should probably get her some of her own glasses or mugs and let her do as she pleases with her glass ware.

Finally, the question is not, do I use a glass for my Coors, but rather why am I drinking Coors and why am I hanging around with all these frat kids? Hey at least it's free, cause if it's not I really need to reexamine my life choices. The worst thing that prohibition did was to make an entire country forget what beer was supposed to taste like. The big brewers have been using rice ever since. But that is to be debated in the Coors thread.
    Happy Holidays everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Since you started this thread with a comment akin to "answer like this is the OC.

Whether rice belongs in beer is a personal choice each person needs to make.

But, to be clear about rice and its use as an adjunct in beer. When US brewers started using rice it was a MORE EXPENSIVE ingredient. And it was used pre-prohabition. This is/has been well documented. Brewers used rice to improve quality and consistency and make a better product - not to lower costs. Please stop perpetuating the myth that rice was added as a cheaper adjunct sugar source.

mtbr member
    How one would answer the question is a personal choice, I simply wanted to let the free thinking public know that many answers are acceptable and most would not be viewed with disdain. I still retain my right to follow none of the advice that has been given, but I appreciate the laughs. I realize it's a silly emotional reaction and I'm being overprotective of inanimate beer glasses.

My personal choice is that rice is not the beer for me, more of a Reinheitsgebot guy I guess. I've had a few beers that have it as an ingredient and I'm glad we're living in a craft beer renaissance in which my choice is vast. But you're right, I shouldn't be a rice hater. Even Tsingtao bowed to rice in the mash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Cool. I still think smoothies sound horrid.

Plays with tools
    I find it hard to believe that you've only got three pint glasses. And you're upset about her drinking out of your Surly glass for crying out loud. I think I had a dozen by the time I was old enough to drink. Now the collection is closer to 75, with a couple of them being irreplaceable.

mtbr member
    There are and there were more. We went through a de-cluttering process where objects were assessed based on the probability of immediate usage and not based on the potential for future need or desire. Various objects were gifted or donated so as to be of immediate use to someone else so as not to clutter the wife's environment. I have expressed my... displeasure, let's say, at her continued usage of my beer glasses or mug for beverages other than beer, which occurs in my environment and leads to my emotional distress. Increased usage also increases the chance of breakage. A portion of their irreplaceable nature are the memories or events wherein these vessels were in use. Further, I do not use her jewelry/beading/crating supplies for anything of possible personal desire or need, which would be outside the intended purpose of such items. There are many Surlys, but this one is mine. Finally, and I quote:
    I realize it's a silly emotional reaction and I'm being overprotective of inanimate beer glasses.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you've only got three pint glasses. And you're upset about her drinking out of your Surly glass for crying out loud. I think I had a dozen by the time I was old enough to drink. Now the collection is closer to 75, with a couple of them being irreplaceable.
    Got any photos? And close-ups of the special ones?

I have around 50 myself, but nothing rare or fancy...just ones I like

You went through a decluttering process, beer glasses went but the missus stayed?

You may need to review your "decluttering process" process

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    My wife does not use my beer glasses, but I would not care if she did. I can wash them, and the beer will still taste great. Glass does not absorb flavors, that is why it is such a cool thing to make drinking implements out of.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

Plays with tools
    Got any photos? And close-ups of the special ones?

I have around 50 myself, but nothing rare or fancy...just ones I like
    No photos, but I should probably do that. Notable standouts are the stein my great grandfather emigrated with, the five liter Spaten mug that I got from Hans German restaurant downtown, a 3 liter boot. There's a bunch from breweries and bike companies obviously. My Campagnolo cork screw sits with them as well, even though I'm not much of a wine drinker at all. I've got 100 Abbey Bike Tools silipints showing up in a couple of weeks as well.

mtbr member
    Beer glass etiquette-img_00000967.jpg

Some mugs of the lady's choosing. A color to match every ensemble.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Segregation works for me, I keep my most used collection of beer specific glassware up high and out of reach. That sacred thin glass is too fragile to entrust to novices and the less devout.
    That's the system in our house too. Rather ordinary pint glasses with logos go in the cupboard, and they are used for drinking anything, such as water, milk, smoothies, Long Island Iced Tea, margaritas, etc. (I think drinking out of glass makes anything taste better and pint glasses are so versatile.) Irreplaceable beer glasses that I got on travel to foreign lands go in the cupboard with crystalware. Only beer is drank from those glasses. Only you can decide what goes where. Under no circumstances do any glasses with logo ever get put in the dishwasher.

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the theme, the Mrs. is no longer allowed to wash growlers since one slipped and broke under her care. That growler was an older model with gilded printing and that brewpub no longer makes such growlers.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    She actually has her own beer's she keeps in the house fridge, my beer stays in my Garage Fridge:

That is an older pic, but you get the idea. I keep only cellar-able beers in there, Sours and Stouts mostly.

I do not touch the 5 beers she currently has in the house fridge and she does not go into my fridge unless we agree to share something together... ;-)
    You, Sir are an alcoholic
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

mtbr member
    Sadly, I feel obligated to report the demise of my lone quality Plisner glass last week. As always, I washed it when the kitchen was empty and free from hazards, but neglected it in the drying rack for too long. The wife, clever being that she is, somehow managed to dislodge it while "putting things away" and a short fall broke it's fragile stem. Unable now to drink Pilsner until it is replaced, I am forced to switch to other beverages. Thankfully, the Weissbeir, Lager, stout and pint glasses remain in good supply.

Lessons learned: Always towel dry and return the sacred objects to their rightful cupboard. And, "putting things away" is dangerous business. Better to leave things where they lay.

mtbr member
    Kiloman and Harryman, I'm sorry for your losses. May you be comforted by the filling and emptying of another equally important but nonetheless different pint glass or growler. My sincere condolences.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Why troll? Smoothie isn't even a real word.
    It's "smovies".

mtbr member
    Not that it matters, but I'm still a little confused as to what I did to deserve neg rep from this thread. I know it's not the wife and I don't even have a bridge.
    Here is a pic of the wife's smoothie filled mug.Beer glass etiquette-img_6251.jpg

mtbr member
    Why the hell would you keep you beer glasses in a cupboard? Then they're just...glasses. Do like all normal people and keep your beer glasses in the freezer section of your the kegerater in your garage with your bikes and tools and everything else off limits to everyone else in the house so that they should be revered and never sullied. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by ktothetothe View Post
    Do like all normal people and keep your beer glasses in the freezer section of your the kegerater in your garage with your bikes and tools and everything else off limits to everyone else in the house so that they should be revered and never sullied. Duh.
    Educate yourself:

True Beer Glass Care Page

2. Don't put beer glasses in your freezer. Cool your beer not the glass. A beer glass fresh from the freezer really doesn't do much to cool or keep cool the content poured in the glass. All it really does is make the icy and slippery and therefore increasing the chance for breakage. Beside, beer served just above the freezing point isn't enjoyable. The freezing cold beer will numb your tongue and all its flavor receptors. Serving beer freezing cold is method pushed by beer producers that make flavorless beer.
    I prefer my Glasses to be room temp and store them in my house. I even have my stemmed glassware on display:

mtbr member
    You always share such nice pictures Klurejr. I also agree that beer should be consumed at cellar temp, well above freezing, but still cool to the palate. Thanks for the link and the quote, especially the last sentence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast