Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Captain Climber

Beer expert advice needed.

What kind of beer do I like and need to look for?

I've tried many different beers from Total Wine and other places. I've spent $10+ per beer. I really never found one that would make me come back for more. I always tend to enjoy the dark beers the most. The other day while at Trader Joe's I got one of their Porter beers and it was really nice. Their Christmas special beer with the cork was also nice. Yesterday I got a Yuengling Black and Tan it is was really nice and smooth.

I don't like all dark beer... What is it I like do you think? Am I a guy that likes malt beers? I really don't know. Is there a particular few I can try and that will help me determine which kind of beer I like and not waste money on beers I don't like?

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Sounds like you wany a smooth mouth feel with roasty flavor. Stay away from big hops. Try Avery Brewing Ellie's Brown Ale.

Captain Climber
    I'll give it a try.. Thx!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any brew pubs around? Most of them have some sort of tasting program In Nor Cal we have a chain of stores called BevMO ,they do tasting sometimes. What part of the country are you?

Captain Climber
    I'm in Florida.

mtbr member
    Founders Porter is a delicious dark beer that you don't have to be a beer snob to appreciate. Light years ahead of Yuengling, and it's distributed in Florida.

Beer Please!
    Sounds like you might enjoy Scotch Style Ales, Porters and Browns. I am not sure of the selection you have in Florida, but stick to those styles.

You may also like a Dry Irish Stout or a Dunklewiezen.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Uhhh....Cigar City, anybody? C'mon!

Try the Cubano-style Espresso Brown. And the Campeador - Greaves is delicious!

I <3 NM
    Look for Left Hand Brewery's "Milk Stout" and/or NITRO

You'll love both.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Now that you're building such a classy bike, you better get some classy beer!

Try some of the stouts and porters offered by Cigar City in Tampa. And their Maduro Brown. That's a great beer. My favorite Cigar City beer (aside from Hunapuh and Marshall Zukhov) is the Tocabaga Red... fantastic beer, and it's a red ale, so you might like it. My brother said there's a bike themed brewery in St. Pete now too that is really good, but the name escapes me. I'll ask him.

I am not sure if Deschutes distributes to FL yet or not, but their Black Butte Porter is awesome. Anchor makes a fantastic porter too.

And try the MooHoo by Terrapin. They're out of Athens, GA and I know they distribute there.

Good advice above from a stylistic standpoint. Sounds like you enjoy the maltier, roasty types of beer. Which means some browns, porters, stouts, and scottish ales, like was said above.

Maybe try some different brews from the UK at total wine too. Kind of hard to beat a good English brown ale (Note, I said "good" - this means NO NEWCASTLE. lol)

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    +1 for left hand's milk stout.

Captain Climber
    I've got a good list now!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Look for Left Hand Brewery's "Milk Stout" and/or NITRO

You'll love both.

I'm drinking a Left Hand Milk Stout on Nitro right this second. If you are looking for a very smooth, I'm talking the smoothest beer you ever even dreamed of tasting, with hints of of mocha and a little bit of that classic smokey flavor, this is what you want. If you want smooth look for the on Nitro version. The standard milk stout is great from Left Hand, but it has quite a bit more bite.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You need to find some Anchor Porter!

Captain Climber
    Making my list now from your recommendations and going to Total wine to see what I can find

Captain Climber
    This is all I could find but hopefully a good score took a chance on a couple. I have and like Labs so I got the brown dog.

Beer expert advice needed.-img_20141221_124658.jpg

Beer Please!
    Let us know what you think.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Let us know what you think.
    We went to trader Joe's today and they were out of their Porter... That was disappointing... Must be popular! To my surprise they had CigarCity in cans. Just tried the Maduro and it is my favorite so far of all the recommended. Getting ready to try Helles Lager. Also got Murphy's Stout there which is imported from Ireland. Also got the Boatswain HLV Ale again. It and Trader Joes Porter are still my two favorites for now but I haven't tried all you all have recommended yet.

As it turns out the two Left Hand beers recommended here are not vegan and I am vegan so I won't drink them... Actually I did before I found out so I know what they taste like. All the rest of their beers are vegan though so ill try some of them if they are dark. It is my wife's birthday today and we went to her favorite restaurant Ethos in Orlando which is vegan and they had the Founders Porter on tap... Would have tried it but I was driving. I got it in the bottle though and it is my favorite of the ones I tried that were recommended here. The only issue is it has a bitter after taste. It taste awesome going down and is addicting but I am not sure about that bitter aftertaste. Remember the science experiments from Jr High where they see if you are a taster or not? I'm a taster and that is probably why I don't like most beers until I've had three or four then the taste goes away

Beer expert advice needed.-img_20141222_171206.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    they had the Founders Porter on tap... Would have tried it but I was driving. I got it in the bottle though and it is my favorite of the ones I tried that were recommended here.
    I win!

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    Vegan beer?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanbike View Post
    i win!
    lol

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Vegan beer?
    Means it is not made with animals... All plant based. The Murphy's above is not vegan either as it turns out... They filter it through a fish bladder. The Left Hand beers above use lactose sugar. All the rest are good as far as I know for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Serious question - wouldn't yeast make all beer not vegan?

Not trying to be a smartarse, actually curious.

As for beer recs, listen to all things Klurejr says. Dude knows his stuff as well as anyone on here and better than most.

Captain Climber
    Yeast is considered a fungus I believe... It is considered vegan.

I <3 NM
    Lactose is simply a sugar derived from milk.

I guess if that isn't vegan, I'm good with it.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast