Carbon or Commie?

Upset Beer disPassion?

A lot of people like beer.
    A lot of people like beer a LOT.

I'm not either of those.

In fact, I don't like beer. Like, not at all.

I've tried a lot of beers (in my opinion). From low-down "brews" like the beast and naddy ice... trendier beers like Shocktop and Blue Moon... a plethora of microbrews that I didn't bother to remember the names of, and up through stout craft beers such as Bourbon Barrel 9000...
    They all have the same basic "awful" taste, with additional flavors.

Am I broken? //edit// or do I need to try some of YOUR recommended brews?
    Last edited by axisofoil; 03-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.

I eat cats
    Yes. Move along, nothing to see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, you should probably post this in the general discussion forum. Or in the non-beer likers forum.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by axisofoil View Post
    A lot of people like beer.
    A lot of people like beer a LOT.

I'm not either of those.

In fact, I don't like beer. Like, not at all.

I've tried a lot of beers (in my opinion). From low-down "brews" like the beast and naddy ice... trendier beers like Shocktop and Blue Moon... a plethora of microbrews that I didn't bother to remember the names of, and up through stout craft beers such as Bourbon Barrel 9000...
    They all have the same basic "awful" taste, with additional flavors.

Am I broken?
    You mentioned a large number of beers that are considered crap or very low quality by the craft beer world, which is what the majority of us in this forum are all about.

Is there a libation that you do enjoy? If so what is it? We might have a suggestions for you that could possibly match your tastes better.
    Also where do you live, that can affect what is available to you for purchase.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    You mentioned a large number of beers that are considered crap or very low quality by the craft beer world, which is what the majority of us in this forum are all about.

Is there a libation that you do enjoy? If so what is it? We might have a suggestions for you that could possibly match your tastes better.
    The only real purpose of Natty and the like is transportation for alcohol into the body. Hardly to be considered beer. At the far opposite end of the spectrum, it is almost a disservice to classify a good Russian Imperial Stout and a Trappist Belgian as simply being members of the beer group. They are vastly different styles. There are as many styles and individual brews within the beer world as there are potential tastes.

Klurejr has good points. What do you like and where are you from? There is a good chance that there is indeed a match for you out there.

Carbon or Commie?

Re: Beer disPassion?

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

I'm glad to hear that most of those are crap. I agree. (and i know that the list started out on the lowest of low ends).

I'm a scotch/whiskey/whisky/rye type of guy. Among my favorites are the heavier flavored islay scotches (lagavulin/laphroaig) and somewhat complex, but still light rye like Templeton.

I'm in the US. Mesa, Arizona to be specific.

I apparently forgot to add the part where I was looking for suggestions on what i might enjoy. Sorry about that and i look forward to the advice I may receive.

~~~
    I'm glad to hear that most of those are crap. I agree. (and i know that the list started out on the lowest of low ends).

I'm a scotch/whiskey/whisky/rye type of guy. Among my favorites are the heavier flavored islay scotches (lagavulin/laphroaig) and somewhat complex, but still light rye like Templeton.

I'm in the US. Mesa, Arizona to be specific.

I apparently forgot to add the part where I was looking for suggestions on what i might enjoy. Sorry about that and i look forward to the advice I may receive.
    It would be very interesting to hear what you tried and why you didn't like it (doesn't matter if it's crappy or good by other people's standards). I think there's a lot of good stuff for the guy who likes scotch/whiskey/rye! It probably won't be the kind of beer you'd want to pound after a long hot ride, though!

Beer Please!
    A whiskey guy eh? My wife has very similar whiskey tastes as you do, but she loathes IPA's and many lighter style beers. So I am going to suggest some things that she likes.

Barrel Aged Beer
    Try out some Bourbon and Scotch Barrel Aged Beers. Brew Dog from Scotland has a line called Paradox, and this year they released a Paradox version aged in Jura Whisky Casks. Because of the aging process and importing they are not cheap, about $12.00 for a 12oz bottle, but the notes of peaty scotch that come through are amazing. More of an after dinner beer. There are a large number of Barrel Aged beers on the market, however you will have to scope out a good liquor store that carries a good craft beer selection. With Barrel aged beers you will find that Bourbon Barrel aged seem to be the smoothest, American Whiskey aged have a harsher taste and should probably be aged in the cellar for a bit to mellow them out, Scotch Aged Stouts tend to carry over the smokey peat flavors if the scotch was Isla or just a heavily peated scotch. Fifty Fifty brewing in Truckee, CA has been releasing a Barrel Aged Series called eclipse, and they vary the batch in different barrels, one of which is a Rittenhouse Rye barrel, very good.

Smoked Beer
    Since you like the smoke of Scotch Whisky, you might enjoy smoked beer. You will mostly find smoked porters on the market, but some breweries make other smoked beer varieties. Alaskan Smoked Porter and Stone Smoked porter are both very good.

I am going to leave you with those for now just to give you something to seek out.

I do not know much about Mesa, but I have a "find craft beer" application for my phone and a quick search brought back these stores:

Sun Devil Liquors
    Taste of Tops
    Tops Liquors
    Whole Foods - Chandler (Whole foods everywhere seem to have good beer selections)
    Total Wine and More (total wine has a good selection)
    And it looks like you might have a BevMo as well....

If you go in and pick out a beer or two to try let us know what you get and what you think!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Do you have to like beer?

I don't think it's an issue if you don't, not everyone is going to.
    I don't like a lot of distilled spirits...just not my thing. I'll try a few here and there, but I'm never overly impressed by anything.
    That said though, I love barrel-aged beers, so who knows.

Drink what you like, and don't sweat it.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey axisofoil, thanks for clearing that up. I bet these guys will steer you in a good direction on barrel aged beers. However, you may just not be a beer guy, as others have stated. I really want to like scotch/whiskey and wine. I just don't for some reason. My body has a physical reaction to them, kind of a revolt at first sip kind of thing.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Do you have to like beer?
    Have to? No.

But if I do like some beer out there somewhere... don't I owe it to myself to find out?

I eat cats
    Good suggestions so far. Go to a store with a big selection and start trying singles of random beers. If you find a style you like then try different bottles within it. I didn't know what the heck a dunkelweisen was until I bought one and tried it for myself. Most places with a vast selection will have a beer geek of some sort working there so it's always good to ask the guys at the store to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Go to a craft bar and order some flights. You'll get like four 5oz beers for the price of one and you'll get to try a lot of different beers without being stuck with one you don't like. Good way to sample. There are a multitude of combinations of flavors,colors, aromas, bitterness, body and alcohol content in beers. You'll have to say what you liked about a beer or at lest what you didn't like. Who knows, maybe you just don't like carbonation and would prefer a cask ale or a beer served on nitrogen/beergas.
    Slainte

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Seems like most of the beers you're going to like (more complex, heavier, etc...) are going to set you back a few extra bucks. Maybe you'd like some of the bigger beers (in addition to the ones suggested above) that have a higher alcohol content and can be way more complex in flavor.

Carbon or Commie?

Re: Beer disPassion?

Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Seems like most of the beers you're going to like (more complex, heavier, etc...) are going to set you back a few extra bucks. Maybe you'd like some of the bigger beers (in addition to the ones suggested above) that have a higher alcohol content and can be way more complex in flavor.
    I don't mind paying a premium to satisfy my tastes, if that's what it takes.

I'll try to find a craft beer bar where i can do flights.

mtbr member
    My favorite beer is Ketel One and cranberry juice. I don't see the point in having to drink a damn six pack that makes me all bloated and needing to piss every 5 minutes. To drink beer just for the taste of beer... whatever.

mtbr member
    I don't mind paying a premium to satisfy my tastes, if that's what it takes.

I'll try to find a craft beer bar where i can do flights.
    I hear World of Beer in Tempe has an amazing selection, that is if you can navigate the hordes of ASU students. Never been there myself. Second the suggestion for going to a beer store and asking for help. If the staff can't/won't help you, odds are good there's a beer geek loitering around the aisles. Total Wine (in Tempe by Ikea) has a good selection and folks that seem to understand/care about beer, it's always a stop when I come down from the hills.

But there are folks who just don't like beer. Maybe you're one. No big deal, enjoy what you like is my theory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Agreed, for someone used to having their face blasted with 40% alcohol a strong, flavorful beer is the ticket. I find that drinking a nice barleywine or old ale is a lot more similar to having a tumbler of good scotch/bourbon. But I do know some people who prefer hard alcohol and feel that beer is just too sweet to be palatable.

I'd recommend these styles:

Barleywine/Old Ale - very sweet, sometimes with a matching amount of bitterness, sometimes with very little bitterness. Examples: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and Lost Coast Old Stock Ale

Belgian Dubbel - Belgian yeasts can take some getting used to, and some people just plain don't like them. I don't even like some of the more "clovey" belgians out there. However, a Dubbel has dark raisin, plum and caramel like flavors along with some smokiness from roasted grains. A very unique beer, but unfortunately not one you see around very often.

Russian Imperial Stout (RIS) - One of my favorite categories of beer, of which there are so many great examples. Heavy smokiness, bitterness from roasted grain and earthy hops, and LOTS of malt flavor. My favorites are Lost Coast Old Rasputin, Sierra Nevada Narwhal, 3 Floyds Dark Lord (elusive), Deschutes Abyss.
    "Got everything you need?"