Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Beer and cancer ?

Heard this one in the news recently. Say it ain't so ! Beer Drinking May Speed Pancreatic Cancer Onset - US News and World Report
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Paging TL1...paging TL1...
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfryauff View Post
    paging tl1...paging tl1...
    lol :d

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's OK, this study found an increase in liquor drinkers but not wine/beer drinkers:

Heavy Drinking Linked to Pancreatic Cancer

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Paging TL1...paging TL1...
    haha, no kidding, when I saw the title i figured it had to be him again.

If beer caused cancer there would of been cancer outbreaks going back way into history, beer has been around a long time, cancer is a relatively new thing.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    I bet you if they did a study of people who breathed on a regular basis would have a much higher chance of getting cancer than people who chose not to breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    haha, no kidding, when I saw the title i figured it had to be him again.

If beer caused cancer there would of been cancer outbreaks going back way into history, beer has been around a long time, cancer is a relatively new thing.
    I agree with this, but with the caviot that cancer is a relatively newly discovered thing, Its been around this whole time but was just a sickness leading to death prior to its discovery.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's probably due to the fact in the middle ages if you made past childhood/child birth and weren't killed in a war, your life expectancy was in the mid 40's. Believe it or not, complications from tooth decay were historically a major cause of death. Most cancers didn't have time to take hold or even be recognized as cancer.

Having said all that, I sure do like some beer and am tremendously grateful for both health insurance and dentists.

mtbr member

Maybe it was the PBR or the Rainier ?

Wonder if the survey was done in areas of high PBR / Rainier ale/the green death consumption ? "Waldo always took a six pack of Green Death to BYOB parties. That way, he was assured of having all six cans." - Urban dictionary ... Just sayin

I eat cats
    What isn't linked to cancer these days?

Beer me, please!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Beat cancer once already, most people willl get it, enjoy the life you have. More beer please.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    So apparently...I'm not the only maniac with the temerity to present the evidence about the correlation between beer (and alcohol) and cancer to the beer drinkers regarding their drug of choice.

What I posted in the past and was vilified for was about consuming a "moderate" level of 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks a day and how that's fairly strongly linked to cancer. In this case it appears to be the result of pancreatic inflammation and heavy drinking though the article didn't define what amount of alcohol a heavy drinker was consuming. The good news here for the folks with the dual addictions to both tobacco and alcohol, if you want to interpret it as "good", is that doing both doesn't appear to raise your pancreatic cancer risk over doing just one. So in the meantime “Let’s feast and drink, for tomorrow we die!”

Cigarette smoking is already a well-known risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Heavy alcohol intake may induce chronic inflammatory changes that are also linked with cancer, Anderson said.The combination of chronic smoking plus drinking had no stronger effect on pancreatic risk than either habit alone, the researchers found.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    I bet you if they did a study of people who breathed on a regular basis would have a much higher chance of getting cancer than people who chose not to breath.
    The rationalizations in this thread are priceless! keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    So apparently...I'm not the only maniac with the temerity to present the evidence about the correlation between beer (and alcohol) and cancer to the beer drinkers regarding their drug of choice.

What I posted in the past and was vilified for was about consuming a "moderate" level of 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks a day and how that's fairly strongly linked to cancer. In this case it appears to be the result of pancreatic inflammation and heavy drinking though the article didn't define what amount of alcohol a heavy drinker was consuming. The good news here for the folks with the dual addictions to both tobacco and alcohol, if you want to interpret it as "good", is that doing both doesn't appear to raise your pancreatic cancer risk over doing just one. So in the meantime “Let’s feast and drink, for tomorrow we die!”
    Sorry to open a can of worms with the thread but I'm thinking this may be related to the chemical differences of the drinks rather than the alcohol part of the equation. A puzzle needing a solution?

Beer Please!
    The rationalizations in this thread are priceless! keep 'em coming!

Walking out your front door greatly increases you chance of death and cancer.

Source:
    Klurejr
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The vast majority of people die of cardiovascular disease (heart attacks & strokes) rather than pancreatic cancer.

Overall risk of pancreatic cancer is about 9 people out of 100,000. Suppose if moderate drinking doubles the risk of pancreatic cancer to 18 people out of 100,000 that leaves 99,982 people dying from something else (mostly cardiovascular disease).

Numerous studies have shown time & again for decades that moderate drinking significantly reduces overall mortality by up to 30% compared to people who abstain. In particular, regular moderate drinking vastly lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease, the most common cause of death.

More info here: www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

Now in someone who has a strong family history of pancreatic cancer or alcoholism, they need to reconsider drinking. Otherwise, there's no question in my mind it's healthy, the evidence is overwhelming.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Sorry to open a can of worms with the thread but I'm thinking this may be related to the chemical differences of the drinks rather than the alcohol part of the equation. A puzzle needing a solution?
    One of the stories I posted about was specifically about beer and stomach cancer. So there may be something specifically about beer that makes it worse for health than other forms of alcohol. The carbonation was talked about and we know that in carbonated soft drinks made with HFCS you get high amounts of reactive carbonyls forming that are known to be damaging to human tissue and they inhibit hormones that reduce hunger. So maybe something like that may happening in beer too. It's known that a lot of bad chemistry goes on that adversely affects beer flavors. Whatever the case, you've got a bunch of people here who don't want to hear anything bad about their chosen hobby and legal buzz.

Beer Please!
    Whatever the case, you've got a bunch of people here who don't enjoy a negative Nancy coming into a beer forum trolling and trying to scare people away from their chosen hobby and legal buzz.

Fixed that for ya!

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitabrew View Post
    The vast majority of people die of cardiovascular disease (heart attacks & strokes) rather than pancreatic cancer.

Overall risk of pancreatic cancer is about 9 people out of 100,000. Suppose if moderate drinking doubles the risk of pancreatic cancer to 18 people out of 100,000 that leaves 99,982 people dying from something else (mostly cardiovascular disease).

Numerous studies have shown time & again for decades that moderate drinking significantly reduces overall mortality by up to 30% compared to people who abstain. In particular, regular moderate drinking vastly lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease, the most common cause of death.

More info here: www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

Now in someone who has a strong family history of pancreatic cancer or alcoholism, they need to reconsider drinking. Otherwise, there's no question in my mind it's healthy, the evidence is overwhelming.
    Among actual causes of death alcohol is far behind tobacco but at no. 2 it's still no slouch at killing people.

The info. you posted states that the healthiest level of alcohol intake was 1-2 drinks per day and that was all pretty old info. More recent studies have found that any more than one drink a day is harmful. I don't want to spoil the fun but there it is.

From your link:

A standard alcoholic drink is:

A 12-ounce can or bottle of regular beer
    A 5-ounce glass of dinner wine
    A shot (one and one-half ounces) of 80 proof liquor or spirits such as vodka, tequila, or rum either straight or in a mixed drink.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Walking out your front door greatly increases you chance of death and cancer.

Source:
    Klurejr
    It's not just a river in Egypt is it? Thanks.

mtbr member

University of Michigan study

Beer drinkers presented with pancreatic cancer earlier than those who drank other types of alcohol, such as wine or hard liquor although when adjusted for the amount of alcohol consumed, the type of alcohol did not affect the age of presentation. Now after seeing this it looks like there is nothing special about what is in beer. Looks like it is totally linked to the "adjusted amount of alcohol consumed". Showing up in the beer drinkers more because in general they are drinking more alcohol ? Never would have bothered to post it up had I seen this above study

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Actually, a recent study suggests the link between light drinking and cancer in all of those studies may be weaker than previously thought, if it exists at all. Basically, people tend to under-report how much they actually drink, so the incidences of cancer in those studies are likely due to heavy drinkers who lied about how much they drink.

Medscape: Medscape Access

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

I eat cats
    Worrying too much about getting cancer is known to cause cancer... I don't have any sources to site though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Worrying too much about getting cancer is known to cause cancer... I don't have any sources to site though.
    There could be something to that and I can't cite studies either but I don't worry about it. I just drink one beer a day, though I admit going totally crazy with two or three a day once in a great while like at Christmas or on special occasions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I guess I fall in between tl1 and the rest of you. I acknowledge that drinking beer most likely* increases the risk of certain cancers, but I'm willing to accept that risk because I enjoy drinking beer.

*I believe all links between alcohol and cancer are based on epidemiological studies. I won't dismiss them out of hand, but it's the weakest form of evidence. If you look at the study I posted above, the results were the opposite. Hard liquor was worst and beer/wine didn't have a significant effect.

Beer Me!
    This thread is gaining momentum......

TL1 we have gotten into this many times before. Too much of anything will kill you, and everything worth having has some sort of negative side effect, beer=cancer, bikes=injury, women=insanity (joking ladies... mostly ) etc...
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast