mtbr member
    May 2013

Beer is actually a great post workout recovery beverage!

Not that I really needed another reason to enjoy a post ride beer, but I just read that researchers at the Granada University in Spain have found that beer is a kick ass (scientific terminology) post workout recovery beverage and offers better hydration benefits than water after intense workout sessions.

So now when I roll home sminking of beer I actually have a logical reason for my wife.

Thank you science!

Laramie, Wyoming
    I guess it's all in the understanding of the term "slightly".

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Awesome....can you post the study?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This is old news.

Hi.
    The OP mentions a "study" conducted by someone who didn't actually conduct a study. Oh, the joys of not vetting your sources in journalism, which leads to the pandemic of ignorance around the world. The comments came from the researcher at a conference, were never published in a peer-reviewed publication, and were misinterpreted by the media.

Here's a great article debunking this myth:

Beer for Hydration | Adventure Sports Journal

Reference here:

Restoration of fluid balance after exe... [J Appl Physiol (1985). 1997] - PubMed - NCBI

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well I'm glad we're taking ourselves so seriously this morning.

Here is a link to the article I read. They do reference the "Study" that was conducted.

Scientists suggest beer after a workout - Washington Times

Was I really expecting this to become a scientific debate about the execution of their research? Not really.

Do I really think Beer is the best post workout recovery beverage? No, but it's more fun than water and I have conducted multiple scientific studies validating this point.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddict View Post
    Well I'm glad we're taking ourselves so seriously this morning.

Here is a link to the article I read. They do reference the "Study" that was conducted.

Scientists suggest beer after a workout - Washington Times

Was I really expecting this to become a scientific debate about the execution of their research? Not really.

Do I really think Beer is the best post workout recovery beverage? No, but it's more fun than water and I have conducted multiple scientific studies validating this point.
    The point is that there wasn't really an official study. Not one with published results, at least. Yet every media outlet across the world picked up the story and published the misinterpreted results, and now people actually think beer is better than water post-ride.

Read that first link I posted and get the truth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    The point is that there wasn't really an official study. Not one with published results, at least. Yet every media outlet across the world picked up the story and published the misinterpreted results, and now people actually think beer is better than water post-ride.

Read that first link I posted and get the truth.
    My mate finished the World Solo MTB Championships in Canberra a week and a half ago and drank 7 beers over the next 4 hours. He did drink water as well but was fine considering he had ridden for 24 hours. We did a 3 hour trail ride the next day so my study proves beer is good.

Funny thing was it had absolutely no effect on him. Would have been interesting to breath test him afterwards as I think his metabolism was peaking.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
    so my study proves beer is good.
    You're quite the scientist.

FWIW, you are confusing energy metabolism (metabolic rate) with alcohol metabolism, which are two different things. While your metabolic rate may fluctuate with exercise, alcohol metabolizes at the same rate for virtually everyone, at all times. It's ~0.015 BAC per hour. So even if your buddy's metabolism was "peaking," the rate of alcohol metabolism was staying the same.

I'm sure a BAC test would've shown that he had 7 beers in a 4 our period. And I'm also confident his hydration level was lower after the beers than if he had consumed water, gatorade, or something else without alcohol. Unless, of course, the ABV of his beer was close to 2%.

Sounds like your buddy stayed well hydrated before and during his race. It is unlikely that the beer helped him recover any faster than normal.

passed out in your garden
    I didnt read any posts, just the title........and l must say........

Im convinced
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant