mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Anybody else excited for Octoberfest season?

It is my favorite beer time (and for that matter, favorite time period with the better weather) of the year. Just waiting for the Oc/ktoberfest beers to show up on the shelves...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Uh... yeah

The Denver Oktoberfest is in late September, followed by the GABF! Great time of year here, and couldn't agree more about the weather, been hot as hell here all summer, can't wait for temps below 90!!
    39.5506° N, 107.3242° W

Beer Me!
    Yes, very excited. Märzen is an amazing style of beer and i want to drink lots and lots of it.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    i like oktoberfest beers but i am really excited for winter/ Christmas oriented beers.It is a little to early for me.....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Beer Me!
    Oktoberfest beers are something i think i could drink year round no prob!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes! Glad to see I'm not alone. As soon as August rolls around, I start thinking of Oktoberfest and college football. I hate to see the summer go, but those two things make the fall a special time.

Anyone have any Oktoberfest suggestions (outside of Germany)? Last year I did Leavenworth, WA, which was a blast. I'm thinking Mt. Angel, OR, Denver or somewhere else this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWE View Post
    Yes! Glad to see I'm not alone. As soon as August rolls around, I start thinking of Oktoberfest and college football. I hate to see the summer go, but those two things make the fall a special time.

Anyone have any Oktoberfest suggestions (outside of Germany)? Last year I did Leavenworth, WA, which was a blast. I'm thinking Mt. Angel, OR, Denver or somewhere else this year.
    Denver has a pretty cool Oktoberfest, but I don't think I'd travel here specifically for it. It would make a nice addition to some late summer riding in the area, so if you planned on that as well it would make a pretty cool weekend trip.
    39.5506° N, 107.3242° W

MilitaryBrat
    Aug 2012
    Denver Oktoberfest is okay, but then again I was born and raised in Germany and I'm a little biased LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I suppose I should have prefaced by saying I'm coming from UT. Snowbird's Oktoberfest is fun, but the beer selection is limited (there wasn't even an Oktoberfest on tap the last time I was there). And we have about three Oktoberfest choices in liquor stores (Sam Adams, Spaten and one or two obscure imports). An out-of-state trip is the best way to really celebrate, and Denver is a close, easy option. I like the idea of rolling a bike trip into it!

Hi.
    I am so incredibly jaded now that I've been to Germany and tried their beer. Nothing I've had in America comes close - not even the bottled versions from Germany! Something about the freshness, or the water, or the presentation that makes it so much better over there.

I won't be attending any local celebrations unless someone has a strong recommendation - the last couple "Oktoberfest" celebrations I've been to in the Bay Area have been overhyped and overpriced.

MilitaryBrat
    Aug 2012
    And people wonder why I rarely drink beer in the US!! HAHAHA

mtbr member
    I love how Blue Moon has seasonal beers.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWE View Post

Wow small world. I did Leavenworth and Mt Angel many years ago. I loved growing up in the northwest...but not enough to live there year around (I like the desert). I will keep an eye out for something in Arizona.

Beer Me!
    Brewing a rye octoberfest (Marzen) this weekend so it will be ready for next month!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    Wow small world. I did Leavenworth and Mt Angel many years ago. I loved growing up in the northwest...but not enough to live there year around (I like the desert). I will keep an eye out for something in Arizona.
    Yeah, I really liked WA and considered moving shortly after visiting - pretty sweet how wine, beer, ski and outdoor country are one in the same. But I too would miss the desert (and UT snow).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I am so incredibly jaded now that I've been to Germany and tried their beer. Nothing I've had in America comes close - not even the bottled versions from Germany! Something about the freshness, or the water, or the presentation that makes it so much better over there.

I won't be attending any local celebrations unless someone has a strong recommendation - the last couple "Oktoberfest" celebrations I've been to in the Bay Area have been overhyped and overpriced.
    You been to Biergarten near Hayes? If so what do you think.

The thing that I find awesome about German beer is how easy drinking it is and how well it goes with food. Very little palate wrecking going on.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    You been to Biergarten near Hayes? If so what do you think.

The thing that I find awesome about German beer is how easy drinking it is and how well it goes with food. Very little palate wrecking going on.
    Yeah I went there once...it was a fun place to go on a nice day. But the beer isn't anything significant - I think they had Paulaner, Steigl and Schneider last time I was there. Tasted about the same as from bottles you can get at the store. It was pretty damn expensive too.

I liked getting a 0.5 L of beer in Germany for 3 Euro, or 5,5 Euro for a Liter at the touristy spots like Hofbrauhaus. And you're right, it pairs well with the food, and there are a surprising number of different beers there to try. And they're all damn good.

Alternatively, you could find yourself at the Oktoberfest celebration in SF this fall, where you pay an absurd cover charge to get into a Marina-crowd sh*tshow and have to pay $8 a beer for old Spaten. Basically AB InBev German pissbeer.. I swear I spent almost $50 just to catch a buzz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Brewing a rye octoberfest (Marzen) this weekend so it will be ready for next month!
    Will it be ready? That doesn't seem to be much lagering time. Sounds great though. I'd love to try a rye Marzen.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Will it be ready? That doesn't seem to be much lagering time. Sounds great though. I'd love to try a rye Marzen.
    Finish the brew sunday, couple weeks for primary and secondary, then a month+ for lagering........ uhhh.... yep you are correct; looks like Octoberfest in October

Bicycle Addict
    I'm drinking a Magic Hat Hex Ourtoberfest right now!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing