Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member

Any homebrewers in here?

I have a couple about ready for kegs now. AHBS's winter warmer ale and an amber ale. I also aged half of the amber on a vanilla bean. I'll bottle that one.

Whatcha got?

mtbr member
    Yep there's a few home brewers here.
    What's your latest homebrew?

I'm in the midst of brewing a SMaSH on my Grainfather, 100% Pilsner malt and the latest release from NZHops; Brooklyn | New Zealand Hops Limited

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Not a homebrewer anymore, but I am a pro brewer...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post

I'm in the midst of brewing a SMaSH on my Grainfather, 100% Pilsner malt and the latest release from NZHops; Brooklyn | New Zealand Hops Limited
    Ah, thank ya
    I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike. -Freddie Mercury

mtbr member

Ah, thank ya. Had to look up the Grainfather. Fancy, I still use cooler and buckets and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jskinner10 View Post
    Not a homebrewer anymore, but I am a pro brewer...

Awesome, what's your brewery?

mtbr member

I'm in the midst of brewing a SMaSH on my Grainfather, 100% Pilsner malt and the latest release from NZHops;
    Ah, thank ya. Had to look up the Grainfather. Fancy, I still use coolers and buckets and whatnot.
    Last edited by bhfd64; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bhfd64 View Post
    Awesome, what's your brewery?
    I'm Lead Brewer at Champion Brewing Co. in Charlottesville, VA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jskinner10 View Post
    I'm Lead Brewer at Champion Brewing Co. in Charlottesville, VA.

Very cool. I'm vacationing in Charlotte, NC in March and considering driving to DC for a few days afterward. You'd be right on the way if that happens. Might have you check out some of your brews.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Very cool. I'm vacationing in Charlotte, NC in March and considering driving to DC for a few days afterward. You'd be right on the way if that happens. Might have you check out some of your brews.
    Please do! We have a tap room open every day of the week.

mtbr member
    Had to look up the Grainfather. Fancy, I still use coolers and buckets and whatnot.
    I was doing half-sized BIAB batches before I bought it, and so far it's been worth every cent. Step-mashing at the touch of a button, and TBH it probably didn't cost that much more than what I would have spent buying big pots, burners, chillers, cooler etc. My arm is in a cast at the moment so my wife has been "head brewer" on the last four brews, I've hardly had to do anything other than offer a little guidance, it's that easy!

I like water and dirt.
    I dabble. Life has resulted in fewer brews lately. But, I plan on continuing to experiment. It is definitely a fun and delicious hobby.
    I want to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    I was doing half-sized BIAB batches before I bought it, and so far it's been worth every cent. Step-mashing at the touch of a button, and TBH it probably didn't cost that much more than what I would have spent buying big pots, burners, chillers, cooler etc. My arm is in a cast at the moment so my wife has been "head brewer" on the last four brews, I've hardly had to do anything other than offer a little guidance, it's that easy!
    Certainly just single infusion mashes for me in the igloo cooler. And I easily have the cost of a Grainfather in my brew setup, you've got that right. Mountain biking injury on the arm? I broke my elbow a few years ago and wrecked a Colorado/Utah biking trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    I dabble. Life has resulted in fewer brews lately. But, I plan on continuing to experiment. It is definitely a fun and delicious hobby.
    I hear ya. I work nights full time and go to college full time during the day. Between those things and trying to exercise and cook and whatnot, very little time left for making beer. I manage to drink plenty of it though.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    love making beer!!

I have slowly built up my kegging system and now have a 4 keg system.. got lucky and found a free fridge to modify. Typically at least 3 beers are running, sometimes 4.. but I like to keep something on for the kids too..

Currently.. Belgian Quad, Farmhouse with Brett and hoppy saison..

Waiting.. IPA and Belgian Strong Golden.. and a Saison with Brett

Next to make? I think I am going to brew a German Alt beer to be ready in late spring and maybe a Kolsch..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    love making beer!!

I have slowly built up my kegging system and now have a 4 keg system.. got lucky and found a free fridge to modify. Typically at least 3 beers are running, sometimes 4.. but I like to keep something on for the kids too..

Currently.. Belgian Quad, Farmhouse with Brett and hoppy saison..

Waiting.. IPA and Belgian Strong Golden.. and a Saison with Brett

Next to make? I think I am going to brew a German Alt beer to be ready in late spring and maybe a Kolsch..
    Belgians and an IPA, a man after my own heart! Currently drinking a Bell's Two Hearted and a "clone" of such is next on my to do list. I made a Belgian pale recently that was pretty good. Nothing rivals imported Belgians though, IMO. Those folks are the supreme rulers of beer creation. I have a couple bottles of Trappist 10 left from my last trip to Binny's.
    Last edited by bhfd64; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:55 PM. Reason: Typo

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Belgians and an IPA, a man after my own heart! Currently drinking a Bell's Two Hearted and a "clone" of such is next on my to do list. I made a Belgian pale recently that was pretty good. Nothing rivals imported Belgians though, IMO. Those folks are the supreme rulers of beer creation. I have a couple bottles of Trappist 10 left from my last trip to Binny's.
    Where did you find the two hearted clone recipe? Thats a beer we can't get in CO..

Agreed on the belgians, but I have made a couple that come close and the Quad is supberb and a fraction of the price...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Where did you find the two hearted clone recipe? Thats a beer we can't get in CO..

Agreed on the belgians, but I have made a couple that come close and the Quad is supberb and a fraction of the price...
    It's from Austin Homebrew Supply. I plan to dry hop with a full ounce instead of the 1/3 it calls for. Saw a few reviewers recommend that.

AHBS Two Hearted

mtbr member

Also, totally jealous of all things CO. I have some friends in Ft Collins so I've done some brewery hopping there. Odell, Dry Dock, Funkwerks, of course NB. Heading out there in June to visit them and camp for a few days at RMNP. And mountain bike of course.