Beer Please!

Alpine Bourbon Barrel Aged Token Imperial Porter

This past weekend the wife and I headed up to Mt Laguna in East San Diego to go camping in celebration of our 14 year wedding anniversary. Of course we had to stop at Alpine Beer Company to get the growler filled and have a late lunch and some brew at the pub. We filled the growler with some Captains Stout, and noticed this special limited release beer on the list, Bourbon Barrel Aged Token Imperial Porter. I happen to LOVE Barrel aged beers, so I bought 3 bottles even though you cannot taste it in the tasting room/store, 2 for me and one for a friend. Then I was pleasantly surprised to see it available on tap at the pub. Of course i ordered a glass of it.

I was shocked at how smooth the flavor was. I have had many a bourbon barrel aged beer, and normally you can smell the bourbon on the nose and get major hints of it in the taste. The nose was soft and pleasant with almost no hint of bourbon. You could taste the oak on the finish and very subtle hints of bourbon. I was impressed because Alpine was able to take this beer to a new level of smoothness after 18 months in a Bourbon Barrel.

Now my biggest problem is how long do I age this beer before I drink it? I don't think it will last longer than 5-6 days in the fridge before both bottles disappear into my belly.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Self-defeatist
    Aging is fun, but if you like it, drink it. It's already been aged in barrels.

Token Imperial Porter; funny. I wish I could access such cool beers around here.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    I agree, its not wine. It is fun to age some bigger beers like that, but if you like it, better drink it.

What Alpine needs is a little more distribution. Its hard to find even in San Diego without taking the trip out to Alpine.

mtbr member
    As the other two have said already, if it is at that point already, drink it now.

My general rule for barrel aged beers is fresh is best, it has been aged already anyway.

Also, Side note, if anyone happens to have any Alpine Great they would trade for unique bottles, send me a message.
    Last edited by Hand/of/Midas; 09-27-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Beer Please!
    It is less about aging the beer, and more about saving it for a special occasion.....

Beer Please!
    The wife and I opened the first bottle of this last night with dinner. I have to say the Bourbon is more pronounced in bottle then it was on tap. Very good. If you like bourbon barrel aged beer, try and pick up a bottle.