mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Worth waiting for the 2014 Spitfire Frame

Hey all

I ordered a 2013 Spitfire frame which is due to arrive early August. Now I've found out the 2014 are due Sept/October I was wondering whether I should cancel my 2013 and just wait it out for the 2014.

Was wondering what the changes are, i'm anxious to get riding one but don't mind waiting 2 extra months.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Changes for 2014 are new colours and stealth routing for dropper posts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Doesn't really seem worth the wait, however will I still have to order the 142x12 updated dropouts separately?

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think you are meant to specify the dropouts you want when first ordering the frame, it's supplied with those only and others are additional purchases?

Hard funkin“ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    I think you are meant to specify the dropouts you want when first ordering the frame, it's supplied with those only and others are additional purchases?
    Exactly!

The 2014er Frames have new colours and stealth routing, no other Changes apart from that. It“s up to you to decide ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the info guys, I actually like the black/white paint job so i'll stick with it. Regarding the dropouts, I meant the updated ones with the cutout (rather than using the 3mm spacers), but I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

Also seems strange my LBS didn't ask what axle I would be running. May have to give them a call!

mtbr member
    I've heard rumors from a reliable source the 2014s will be dropping some weight as well.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Worth waiting for the 2014 Spitfire Frame

Yup! 4 grams of aluminum from punching a hole for the Stealth dropper routing

I jest! I have no idea but I was under the impression they weren't changing anything but colors, the dropper routing and updated 142 dropouts. Maybe can shave a few in each upgrade but it can't amount to much...

mtbr member
    Lol. No, what I had heard would put the Spitfire within a more competitive weight range with other bikes in its class. With that said, I wouldn't expect 6lb w/ frame and shock

Hard funkin“ Kraut
    Maybe this is the Case, but I doubt that - and it doesn“t Matter at all. The Spitfire rides great as it is and a slightly or significant lighter Frame does not do the full Ticket if the Part-Spec isn“t light ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Im in the same boat here, with the opportunity to wait for the 2014 frame. I currently have X-12 RWS axles and just found out from my other thread that these aren't currently compatible with the 2013 frame.

Will the revised dropouts be X-12 compatible because I would rather wait and be able to use my RWS axles?

mtbr member
    Wats the color like for the 2014 Spitty?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by zutalors View Post
    Im in the same boat here, with the opportunity to wait for the 2014 frame. I currently have X-12 RWS axles and just found out from my other thread that these aren't currently compatible with the 2013 frame.

Will the revised dropouts be X-12 compatible because I would rather wait and be able to use my RWS axles?
    Any 142 hubs will fit the 142mm drop-outs on the frame.
    The frames come with an axle.
    So there is really no compatibility issue for you (unless you really must use the RWS axle...)
    FWIW I had issues with my RWS axle loosening on my prime proto with 135mm drops- I've been much happier with the 142mm axle banshee provided with the production frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    In the UK, I've been quoted £1699 for a 2014 Rune with cane creek. So there's apparently been a price hike. You might want to take that into account.

Anyone from Banshee, is the price rise just market forces/inflation or is there a definite refinement for 2014 i.e. weight shaving?

mtbr member

Re: Worth waiting for the 2014 Spitfire Frame

Thats quite a price hike !

I was offered a new spitfire with hope headset for £1380 with the cane creak before I chose to have the fox ctd(i ended up getting a two week old immaculate demo spitfire with ctd for £1240 with hope headset and two sets of dropouts, bargain lol) .

I did get a bargain from a great shop for way below rrp but even so thats over £300 more you have been quoted . I know its a differant bike but they have virtually the same price tag!!

If thats the new price its a £200 price hike on the rrp from this year thats massive

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    to be fair, ive asked the supplier to clarify the price as I've heard a lower quote elsewhere so it might just be a mistake. I don't want to rock the banshee boat. I never pay the rrp on any frame but for a Rune I'll make the exception

I do what I want
    I remember there being a discussion, but not sure what the actual outcome/decision was, other than they will be available soon or so I thought, but are the 2014 frame being shipped with the proper 142mm dropouts (ones that are slotted) if order that way?
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    New drops will be available sometime in August I was told from Banshee.

Frame weight for a size large Raw Spitty with only the headset cups pressed in (NO shock or dropouts) is 6.77lbs on my scale
    With shock/hardware, QR seat post mount but NO drops 7.61lbs
    142 dropouts with flip chips, mounting screws and hanger (no axle) is .6lbs
    Total 8.2lbs less axle

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    New drops will be available sometime in August I was told from Banshee.

Frame weight for a size large Raw Spitty with only the headset cups pressed in (NO shock or dropouts) is 6.77lbs on my scale
    With shock/hardware, QR seat post mount but NO drops 7.61lbs
    142 dropouts with flip chips, mounting screws and hanger (no axle) is .6lbs
    Total 8.2lbs less axle
    Heavy machinery!

Mr. Knowitall
    Anyone heard of the availability of the '14 frames?

mtbr member
    Would love to know as well. When I ordered mine I was told October. Not long to go now.

Mr. Knowitall
    I was told mid-September, maybe realistic end September, do not hope for earlier than October... Already "sold" my old frame and looking forward to build, baby!