mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Wildcard questions.......

Ok so I am looking at a used wildcard. its a 2010 frame. Tell me what I need to know about it. I read alot of issues about bushings but it could be people who hate doing maintenance on there bikes or is it really an issue. Does the 2010 frame even have bushings or do any of them for that matter?

Also I am looking at the wildcard for an all around bike. I know it will suffer in some areas like long climbs may get a little tires some but I am willing to deal with it some what. I have been researching this for weeks so I have done some reading. I dont have any local shops or anyone who owns a wildcard to get a day on the saddle first. This particular wildcard I can get for around 950.00 with SLX cranks so that is why I was leaning towards the wildcard.

Is it something that can be ridden all day with climbs in the mix throughout a days ride? I am more fond of the downers and jump runs than climbing but you gotta climb ups to get the downs for most of it around here.

We have 2 bike parks with lift assist in the area that I will be riding also. The biggest thing that I like about it is the overall geometry. Low standover, longer top tube shorter chainstays. All this I like because I come from a BMX background and it is familiar too me. I hate tall bikes!

Doing the math the 16" seat tube on the wildcard with a taller say 410mm post will be plenty to get me at or close enough to a good ride height.

I have looked at the Nickel, Bottlerocket and Wildcard. The Nickle is similar but is about 3 inches taller in the seat tube and about an 1.5 in standover and then the bottlerocket about the same as the wildcard.

mtbr member
    The frame uses bearings, not bushings.
    I sold my Wildcard a few years ago and kinda regret doing so. It was a fun ride, but like you, I came from riding BMX and should have gone for a small, instead of the medium that I got. I'm 5'11" and have a preference for bikes that are way too small for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It doesn't sound like your alone. I am looking at the large which is on the longer side based on their recomendations. Doing some research The average 6' person were on larges. What kind of riding were you doing with yours?

mtbr member
    I used it for everything really. Trails, mild DH, skateparks... It felt just a tiny bit too stretched out for me, but hey, I'm probably the weird one. The Rampant I've got now is a short and i love it, but it gets a tiny bit sketchy when things start pointing downwards, so I've got the Spitfire for that.

Hard funkinī Kraut

Here is mine. Itīs a medium size frame (I am 1,84 meters tall) that happily takes me to the 5th season without any issue at all!

The Wildcard uses bearings, so maintainance is very small.

As you can see from my part spec - Iīm using it as my do-it-all-bike and it is really great for that. The frame is a little on the heavy side, but apart from that it is super stiff, strong, pedals suprisingly good, close to no bob, no brake-jack, no pedal-feedback and finally it has a great dialled-in progressive suspension. Get the right parts and you will be around 15 to 15,5 kg weight without compromise.

The geometry was the most important reason for me to go with the Wildcard and since I have it I never ever had the feeling of beeing on the wrong bike again - knowing there are a lot of great bikes out there ...
    Somehow itīs a shame that bikes like that are not very popular these days, most people are on lightweight tiny Trail/Enduros or superlightweight long travel Enduros here in Europe. Funny for me when dialled 5 inches and a stiff frame is all you need

Like you I have to climb first to ride down, so if you are willing to compromise on the weight there is no reason not to go with it

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm 5'11 on a medium and use it for xc, and what DH and FR I have available.

With a 66rc3 and the rear in the 5" mode it kinda blows for technical climbs, but part of that is because I'm still rehabbing a leg. With it in the 6.5" mode it climbs a little better for me. Right now this is my all around bike, my hardtail XC bike gets no love since I've gotten used to slack geometry and its hard to switch back and forth.

I come from an XC background and prefer a weird geometry and generally shorter bikes (easier to descend) and this frame fit the bill for me. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Put something like a U-turn on it and ride it for everything. Put a 66 on the front and plow the bastard throw anything.

If you can't tell already, I really cannot praise this frame enough. I've yet to let someone else ride it who wasn't impressed with the performance right off the bat.

Last edited by schlockinz; 02-21-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added pic
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I did some more comparing and I think a large will probably be on the longer side for me also. My current frame is a large, 24" TT and its too stretched out. Now I gottta see if any of my Canadian Neighbors will ship to the US.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post

Here is mine. Itīs a medium size frame (I am 1,84 meters tall) that happily takes me to the 5th season without any issue at all!

The Wildcard uses bearings, so maintainance is very small.

As you can see from my part spec - Iīm using it as my do-it-all-bike and it is really great for that. The frame is a little on the heavy side, but apart from that it is super stiff, strong, pedals suprisingly good, close to no bob, no brake-jack, no pedal-feedback and finally it has a great dialled-in progressive suspension. Get the right parts and you will be around 15 to 15,5 kg weight without compromise.

The geometry was the most important reason for me to go with the Wildcard and since I have it I never ever had the feeling of beeing on the wrong bike again - knowing there are a lot of great bikes out there ...
    Somehow itīs a shame that bikes like that are not very popular these days, most people are on lightweight tiny Trail/Enduros or superlightweight long travel Enduros here in Europe. Funny for me when dialled 5 inches and a stiff frame is all you need

Like you I have to climb first to ride down, so if you are willing to compromise on the weight there is no reason not to go with it
    What size stem are you running? Just curious seeing how I am getting mixed reviews on the size frame for riders our size. I know it come to preference but I just wanted to get an idea. No shops around here have anything for me to get a fit on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFingas View Post
    What size stem are you running? Just curious seeing how I am getting mixed reviews on the size frame for riders our size. I know it come to preference but I just wanted to get an idea. No shops around here have anything for me to get a fit on.

How tall are you? You've got two guys who are roughly 6' and riding a medium.

For me, if I were much taller I'd get a large for AM/FR/DH riding, and thats mainly cause I can catch a handle bar as is on tight twisty climbs.

FWIW, my stem is 50mm

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFingas View Post
    Hi WildFingas,

my Stem is a Thomson 4x with 50mm length, if I remember correctly.

Framesize is always a matter of personal preference. Since I ride MTB I am used to an effective (horizonal) Toptubelength of around 58cm/23inch and a shorter Stem (184 cm tall). I am always torn between the Sizes medium and large and yes, I could easily go with a large Toptubelength (60cm/24inch) without feeling stretched out. Thanks to the spezific geo of the Wildcard, which has a slightly longer toptube than the average Freeride/Enduro-Bike, I am very pleased with the medium-size. Itīs really ok for the climbs and just right on Point for the Jumps and Descends.

The main Point to this is the fact that I need/want a more playfull Bike for the Trails around my Area Iīm riding. I donīt really need a longer wheelbase to gain more comfort on higher speeds - I would rather go with a slacker HA, which I did (1,5deg). And I donīt need the ideal Saddle-Position for the climbs as my local Trails are permanently going up and down and are more tight turning, so the majority of riding-time Iīm out of the Saddle.

I have to say that my riding-style is turning more and more towards AM/Trail-Riding. If Iīm in the boat for a new Frame somewhere in the Future, it would have a slightly longer Toptubelength, letīs say large Toptube with short or medium Seattube to keep plenty of Standover-Clearance.

If your current Frame (24inch TT) feels too stretched out, than the medium size would not be the wrong choice.

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    i'm 6' on the dot and ride the large... only because i have a super long torso (the reason i got a wc in the 1st place) my wc has been amazing. Easily the most fun bike i own. The bike updates really well too. At first i had a heavy FR build w/ a totem, 325 hoops and a DHX5 and other crazy heavy stuff. now i've completely update the bastard. It went from 43lbs to 36lbs just about over nice and i could easily get lighter if i wanted anywhere here is what it looks like now and also 2 videos. ** in the 1st video Gene tries the wc on the road gap... he grabbed a fist full of brake. After that i'm riding and following him through most of the video. .

Blackrock and Post Canyon Combo on pinkbike.com

Post Canyon Shuttle Day on pinkbike.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildcard questions.......-417347_646595525670_44901083_33282109_1192519430_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hello I have banshee wildcard 09' what size freehub size for my wildcard 09'

TA 10x135 or
    QR 10x135 or
    QR 9mm

Help me please I'm so confuse thx before
    Sory my english not good

Hard funkinī Kraut
    QR 10x135

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    QR 10x135
    Only QR 10x135 ? Thx bro..

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yes, according the Geometry-Chart of the Banshee-Website.
    Click me
    Donīt worry about a missing Maxle/Thruaxle-Option - Banshee-Rearends are one of the most stiffest on the market ...

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Hey, Gilangsukmana, you can also run a 9mm QR if you wish.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas View Post
    Hey, Gilangsukmana, you can also run a 9mm QR if you wish.
    How about TA 10x135 I think large axle maybe good for mountain track
    I can run with TA 10x135 hope pro 2 evo ?

sory my english

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilangsukmana View Post
    How about TA 10x135 I think large axle maybe good for mountain track
    I can run with TA 10x135 hope pro 2 evo ?

sory my english
    yes, 10mm x 135mm will work

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    yes, 10mm x 135mm will work
    Ok thx bro now I know what I buy, true axle 10x135 or QR 10x135 will work with my wildcard thx for info bro thx mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As I understand it a 10mm QR, Thru, or bolt on should work (correct me if I'm wrong).

BTW, daugherty, hows your WC setup to be at 36lbs? I'm thinking about a wheel swap and maybe some other options to shed some weight and save my legs

mtbr member
    This build is 36lbs

sickest bike i've ever ridden. I <3 my legend but my fav is the WC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildcard questions.......-528355_659971026060_44901083_33328901_2078368331_n.jpg