mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Wildcard Plus Travis 180?

Hey Guys, just bought a used wildcard frame and now I'm looking for single crown fork for it. I found a local guy selling a manitou travis 180 for real cheap. Do you think that much travel on the wildcard will rake the front end a lot? I'd prefer a fork with 1 1/8th headtube so I can use a zero stack or even an angleset in the future but this travis is real cheap and local so no shipping cost either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    you know theres a geometry chart on banshee's site right? 67 deg. with 7" fork with the rear set to 6.5". Not extremely slack. 14.5" bb though. I think a -1.5 deg. angleset on it would be sick, get the HA to 66 and drop the BB a little.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I think the Travis would work fine on the Wildcard. There are Wildcards with Totems and such ... so no Problem as the Wildcard can take Forks from 130 mm/5" to 180 mm/7", especially with a zero stack HS. I would suggest a 1,5 or 2 deg Angleset to slacken the front out.

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think i'm gonna go for it. I know the bb will be pretty high to start out but I'll get a 36 later this year when money isn't so tight and I get my 888 sold. Yeah I found the geometry chart right after I posted. Just wish there was an angleset that worked with 1.5 steer tubes...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Cane Creek and Works Components for example do have anglesets for different steerers, but donīt know for 1.5 steer tubes.
    I would go for a cheap one as long you are riding the travis and go for an angleset when the 36 is on board. Then I would suggest a 1 1/8 steer tube to have the full angle options while still having zero stack.

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    New idea, so I've got an xfusion velvet that i can run at 130 on the wildcard. Is there anybody running a 5" fork on the wildcard and liking it 5 and 5? I could get an angleset and run around a 66.5 head angle. but the bb height would be super low...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    In the first two years I often switched between different Travelsettings on both rear and fork (Lyrik Coil U-Turn). One of the funniest was the 5 inch rear and 5,5 inches front for tight singletracks or dirtjumps. I was running an external Reducerheadset at that time. Last year I switched to an -1,5 deg angleset and this combination is still fun to ride because of the lower and slacker front-end. With roughly 5 inches forktravel I would suggest a -2 deg angleset, because these Headsets are mostly Zerostack, which will resteepen the angles slightly (when changing from external cups to Zerostack).
    Travelwhise you might be limited on rough trails, but a very slack Headangle could archive a lot of stability and confidence when riding fast. It could hinder the ride from getting too nervous while keeping itīs nimble handling.
    Iīm riding mostly 5 inches rear and switch between 140 mm and 160 mm on the Lyrik now, toghether with an angleset I have the best from AM to freeridish DH runs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like a pretty decent idea. I might try the velvet for a bit. Just wish that didn't mean the singlespeed was being put out of service...but I want to ride this frame before the rain returns...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yeah, give it a try for some time. But I think you want more travel in the long term. From my experience a traveladjustable Fork suits the Wildcard perfect to excel in different Riding-Types and makes the bike even more versatile than it already is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just bought a 160mm domain 318 uturn! Couldn't pass up the deal for 125 bucks in good condition.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    The Domain is a solid troublefree working Fork and with U-Turn you will have the same Travelsetting-Options I have - I bet you will love it!

Get some Works-Components -2 deg Anglecups and you are ready to go

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sad news...the guy had someone else pay an hour before I paid so I just got a refund and no fork. Lame...sometimes I hate buying used. anyways, I'm just gonna pick up the travis that this post was about and try to lower it to 160...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Update

All built, so far enjoying it set up at 7 and 6.5 the most. But I need a rebuild on the 66 before I come to a conclusion, it just doesn't feel quite right at the 6 inch setting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildcard Plus Travis 180?-297110_10150881278125542_750240541_21287485_236754553_n.jpg  

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider View Post
    ... it just doesn't feel quite right at the 6 inch setting ...
    What do you mean by that?
    Nice Bike by the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I can change the travel on my fork to 6" but it seems to exaggerate the fork dive that this model of 66 is known for. I'm going to have the fork rebuilt and then I'll probably be running the bike with 6" up front and 5" setting in the rear.