Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Why shouldn't I buy a Spitfire?

I posted in the all mountain section but was recommended to post here? I'm very intrested in a Spitfire but the only thing holding me off is the problem with the bushings. How big of problem is it? How many frames has this problem? 1%, 5%? We have a few Spittys in the area and none have had any problems. I also don't want to have to disassemble the frame every week. Just don't want to gamble with my money. Please help me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i have a rune, and my 2 biking buddies ride spitties (and there are a couple of legends as well ) and noone has a problem...

i would go ahead and buy it again any time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't think that there's a problem with some Spitfires... I think that some people bought this frame when there was lots of hype about it and, as most frames use bearings instead of bushings, they assumed that no maintenance was required.

Actually the maintenance is a simple procedure that takes no more than 5 minutes. Taking the axles apart is also easy and can easily be done at home in half an hour. You shouldn't be afraid to do it and you can save a lot of money and time, comparing to taking your bike to the shop to change the bearings.

Putting that aside, the Spitfire is a really neat frame. I haven't found any design or conception flaws at all and I'm pretty good finding them. Lots of big brands make silly mistakes when building their bikes because they are always trying to present new stuff to the costumers. Banshee takes their time designing their frames and they easily last 4 ou 5 years without being outdated.
    It's a really well designed high quality frame at an unbeatable price...

mtbr member
    don't be afraid on the bushings! I just replaced 2 sets of bushings, cleaned and re-lubed the axels as part of regular maintenance for the first time and it took me 45 mins and was really no hassle

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've got one friend on a spitty whose said that he's had some issues with the bushings, but that's just one man. Otherwise he's really happy with the bike.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    mine has 2 years of HARD riding on the original set of bushings. no issues. That's with a full tear-down every 6-8 months or so (I don't have a grease gun). don't worry about it, it's a sick bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If I were you haakan I would read the rune bushings & rune bushings again threads in their entirety. That is the best way to get a handle on the problem, how pervasive it is, the design issues, and banshees multiple ever changing responses. If at the end of that you are comfortable buying one good luck....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah I agree. The chance for something to go wrong is there and with so many other frame options from various other brands, why take the risk? I say this as someone who loves his Spitfire, but I wish I had gone with a frame that has bearings. I would never recommend the Spitfire to a friend as long as it has bushings in the current setup.

Its a good performing bike, but why take the chance at this point?

mtbr member
    There's a reason it's called RUNE bushing failure thread - the problem was far more prevalent with the '11 RUNE than with the Spitty peeps!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been on my Spitfire for almost a year and have not touched the bushings or axels and it's all still as tight as a frogs bum.

I really enjoy it.

mtbr member
    I say make a "how long until bearings" thread and then see if you can handle the wait . Awesome suspension platform, but I would love bearings in my frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm now a year on my original bushings and it's still fine. Just did the bushings on my wife's Rune, first time since we bought it in 2008. It needed new bushings and now it's like new again. Took maybe 30 minutes to do them all. My Turner RFX has bushings and has treated me well and is starting it's 12th season. I've done the bushings 4x so every 3rd year. Not too shabby. If you have a serious issue with bushings then look elsewhere otherwise the Spitfire is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Hi haakan

Even if you have some issues in the future, i find it hard to believe that you`ll have to disassemble the bike evry week. To fix it once a year or two years doesn`t sound bad at all, maintenace is part of it, i like to have my bike running with no issues, with nasty trails, drops and jumps there`s no frame in the world that doesn`t require some attention. This is a fair and objective advice i am trying to give you , i had 2 Banshee bikes in the past, i have nothing against the brand and i am not biased ( not sure i wrote it well, hope you get it).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the help. I test rode a Spitfire and it is very nice. I had a very hard time to decide but I've ordered a Transition Bandit instead. I guess I have to change forum now. haha Maybe it will be a Banshee next time.

mtbr member
    Transition have cool bikes, specially the Covert. Gratz for the new bike, now go out and ride it

Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
    I've been beating the crap out of a Spitty I got used for 6 months. I'm 210 lbs plus grar, and run a Fox 36 with 2.5 tires. I run it HARD. More AM than trail. It still has the original bushings. I started to swap them out a month ago and realized they were really smooth with no play so I left them in.

As with any mechanical device, some are going to break. The ones that break are the ones you might read about here. The people who have no problems with them are most likely not posting, because they just go out and ride.

I absolutely love mine. I have access to Intense and Turner bikes at a substantial discount but I'm going to put another year into this frame and see how much more it can take. I've broken the fork (bushings are very loose) but so far the frame is solid.

All I can say is you are more than likely going to love it.

My 2 cents.
    Obviously, you're not a golfer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode the Bandit for about 3 weeks before buying my Spitfire. Great bike too, but I prefer the Spitty because I think that overall it's a better bike. Still, the Bandit is great bike! Really stiff and good downhill and with bearings instead of bushings. It would be my second choice if I didn't buy the Banshee.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mate I've had my Spitty for nearly 2 years. I love this bike it has exceeded my expectations. That being said I religiously maintained my pivots from purchase (every 3-4 months) but I still got excessive wear of my links/frame. I got my frame on special so it doesn't sting as much, but if I had of paid full price I would have been a bit more miffed about it. For this reason unless the pivot reliability issue is fixed in future Spitty's I won't be considering another one.
    Last edited by collectivedust; 05-10-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I grease mine after every ride, I've ridden it four times after replacing the last set of worn axles. Just stripped it to check the axles and all three are worn again! There's no play in the rear end at the moment, but it's following exactly the same pattern as the other sets of axles I've had. There's clearly a minor alignment issue at the back end, one that wouldn't cause any problems with bearings, but is killing my axles.

Fortunately my dealer in the UK will send out new parts on request, but it's got to the point now where I'm riding other bikes because I'm busy and don't have time to rebuild the bike all the time. I've been promised a set of Keronite axles for 6 months now, but still not got a set sent through though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was ready to pull the trigger on a Spitfire in November before I read all the bushings issue threads. I bought a Bandit instead and have been very happy. I threw an angleset in the Bandit and with 150mm fork the bottom bracket is ~12.5 inches and the HA ~66 degrees or so. Pretty close to the Spitfire geometry-wise. II just wish they would have made the headtube angle slacker so I didn't have to deal with the Angleset. have been very happy with the climbing ability of the bike and it rips downhills. I barely ever ride my reignX anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've had my Spitfire well over a year now an never serviced the bushings, an it's dead on tight with lots of hard riding!! best bike i've ever owned! shreds is an understatement!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Last edited by babyrabies; 05-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Not according to Keith unless he's changed his mind lately! And I couldn't agree more alfonz!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Last edited by babyrabies; 05-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by babyrabies View Post
    ill let u in a little secret... wait a little longer, the spittys are coming with bearings in early 2013.

And will us poor fools who bought the old one get one for free?

Spitfire has so much potential, but I'll never buy another Banshee again. Mines been nothing but trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast