Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Prime

Why no updates from Prime testers?

Come on guys, I ordered mine a month ago. How about a little stoke to hold me for a few more months?

Got my fork, brakes, and XT 10 sp cranks here already. Thinking about WTB Frequency i23 rims, maybe the new ethirteen LG1+ hubs, maybe some Hans Dampfs, looking at the new KS LEV. Aug/Sept is a ways away yet.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm digging mine, thats for sure.

Finally getting in some long climbs and longer descents.. nice, steep technical loamy descents

The prime is awesome.
    I've provided feedback to Keith- both what I like, and where I thought the prototype could be improved, and it sounds like the production version will have some nice refinements. Sounds like all my comments- pretty minor stuff- will be addressed in the final version.

Changes made to my proto since I built it up....
    swapped to zero stack upper headset cup (from external) to get the bars lower.
    went to an PUSH'd rp23 shock with very light compression tune, XV can & big hit kit. Prior to that I tried an Elka coil and also an stock rp23 with mid tune, big can.

I still haven't bothered to try the steep setting
    It just feels pretty dialed as it is now....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Come on guys, I ordered mine a month ago. How about a little stoke to hold me for a few more months?

Got my fork, brakes, and XT 10 sp cranks here already. Thinking about WTB Frequency i23 rims, maybe the new ethirteen LG1+ hubs, maybe some Hans Dampfs, looking at the new KS LEV. Aug/Sept is a ways away yet.
    Regarding the i23: I had one built up on a cheap hub as a backup wheel for the Scythe. It is an awesome rim. Set up tubeless very easy and has taken its share of beatings. My next set of AM wheels will have these rims.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    The more I ride it the more I like it!

Like FM I submitted my feedback to Keith.

I swapped out the DHX air for an X Fusion Vector HLR air, what a difference. Couldn't be happier with the new shock and highly recommend it.

Tried the geometry in both settings but prefer and mainly ride it slack.

It's a great bike and will be worth the wait!
    The other Fred........

Prime
    Thanks for the responses, it makes me feel better. It seemed that shortly after I put my deposit down, all posts from you guys stopped. I started to get a little concerned, although my Paradox is so awesome that I shouldn't have had any doubts about the Prime. I'm really looking forward to getting it and hopefully by already having money down I get one from the first batch off the line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You will not be disappointed. It's my favorite bike thus far and I've owned quite a few. Very plush suspension design, yet I don't notice any exaggerated bob on the flats or climbs.

beater
    It's certainly not because we've gotten bored with them. You'll be pleased.

Sometimes people say that they bought skills with a new bike. This one feels like I bought confidence. Our big-mountain rides are starting to open up, and I feel like Goofy yodeling down the side of a mountain in old Disney cartoons.

Like Sane Fred, I switched to a Vector Air HLR, and I'm really pleased with it. Highly recommended.

edit: Like FM, I started in the "slack" setting, and that's where it's stayed.

Crappy low-light cellphone snap from the end of last night's ride off the Continental Divide.

Why no updates from Prime testers?-macpassprime1.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    It seemed that shortly after I put my deposit down, all posts from you guys stopped.
    Most of the stoke and feedback has happened off-line... only fair since these are prototypes.

My buddy $l4yEr picked up a transition bandit 29'er. Very limited ride time on the bandit so far, but the contrast is really interesting. These are very different bikes, the bandit seems great too, but the Prime is obviously geared more towards descending. Lower, slacker, longer, stiffer, heavier, lower leverage ratio with a more progressive feel. The new Bike magazine review sums up the prime prototype pretty well, although with the right shock tune there's very little to no bob or suspension feedback. The reduced weight of the production frames, plus the adjustable geometry, will make for a very versatile bike. The Prime will certainly get 90% of my riding time this season. Taking mine up to whistler soon

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    The new Bike magazine review sums up the prime prototype pretty well, although with the right shock tune there's very little to no bob or suspension feedback. The reduced weight of the production frames, plus the adjustable geometry, will make for a very versatile bike. The Prime will certainly get 90% of my riding time this season.
    Yeah, it's a far better all-rounder than I expected (edit: b/c I built mine with no concern for final weight). The announced changes for the production frames will only enhance that. My Yelli is only seeing duty as a townie and a spare at the moment, poor thing. I thought I'd choose it maybe 20% of the time for our local trails, but so far I haven't.
    Last edited by evasive; 05-24-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Prime
    That's all great stuff, guys. Thanks. I currently have a Pivot Firebird, which will be sold. Debating whether to keep the Paradox or not, as of lately it get's ridden most of all, I'm giving thought toward making it SS. I already have an SS, so that would probably be sold. I picture myself keeping my Prime full slack and using it for my everywhere and everything bike, built a bit on the heavier duty side. I looked at Bandit29's, but it looks to me that the Prime is THE bike to have. It was put best in one of the other Prime threads, "brickshithouse". The Prime looks rock solid and ready for anything. As I've said, I'm in Arizona, and there is plenty of chunk to thrash this bike on. I'm waiting as patiently as I can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As the current owner of that particular bike nicknamed "brickshithouse", I can affirm all of what you've said. It is stiff and ready to get rowdy. I really think this bike will be a huge hit for Keith and the boys at Banshee.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I really think this bike will be a huge hit for Keith and the boys at Banshee.
    From the research that I've done on their other models, plus almost 2 years experience on my Paradox, I agree. They build a very good product.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well.. my Prime in its current incarnation it..

Climbs way better than my 26er, feels better at descending than my 26er, has more ground clearance than my 26er, is more nimble than my 26er in steep setting.

Also i feel way less wasted after 4-5 hr ride than before, what can i say, win win and win situation.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    Well.. my Prime in its current incarnation it..

Climbs way better than my 26er, feels better at descending than my 26er, has more ground clearance than my 26er, is more nimble than my 26er in steep setting.

Also i feel way less wasted after 4-5 hr ride than before, what can i say, win win and win situation.
    Nice bike. You guys have really helped with my stoke level!! What kind of climbs are you doing with that 1X setup? I'm trying to decide between 1X or 2X, my crankset will do either so I'll probably build initially 1X, but definitely 10sp rear. We've got some long tough climbs here, but that could just be me because I'm in crappy shape, too much ice cream.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Around here i have to pedal, a lot, climbs are very short, steep varying between steep rock faces to steep rooty climbs, i'd guess around 20-25 degrees with technical bits thrown in.. 32t is too tall gearing to me and most of riders around here so people either run hammerschmidt, 2x or 28t 1x10 setup, if you try to stand and mash the climbs you just lose traction and spin out because you can't control power.

Prime
    Here's a video I made a couple of months ago, typical of what I ride. I took my 26 FS on this ride, and then repeated it on my Paradox. I was several minutes faster on the hardtail, believe it or not, and that's when I actually made my decision to order a Prime. The Prime ought to eat this terrain right up.

There's no music, just me grunting and my bike rattling.

HD https://vimeo.com/42870386

or not

beater
    Nice trail. I think you'll be thrilled with the Prime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Las Retamares in Tenerife is maybe similar terrain, 22min edit from there, i had to cut down like ~25min of riding to make it even somwhat reasonable size.

Prime was superfun there.

MTB B'dos
    Guess we're just having too much fun

Seriously, great choice, especially watching that vid - The Prime will eat that trail up. What trail is that, looks like my kind of trail? Was that filmed on the Paradox? Must give you quite the beating if it was, as although I love my Paradox it is stiff as hell compared to most other HTs I've tried, but not horribly so like the old Kleins.

Think you'll be super stoked when you get yours, especially with the weight drop (Keith said about 700g/1.5lbs) and the nice tweaks all over
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why no updates from Prime testers?-p1060871_b.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses, it makes me feel better. It seemed that shortly after I put my deposit down, all posts from you guys stopped. I started to get a little concerned, although my Paradox is so awesome that I shouldn't have had any doubts about the Prime. I'm really looking forward to getting it and hopefully by already having money down I get one from the first batch off the line.
    We were asked to not get into too much detail on the bikes characteristics initially, although now that the production version is closer to fruition and there have been mag reviews I'm sure there will be more open discussion.
    It is a great bike that will be greater after the production version goes on a diet, lots of fun for sure!

Prime
    LyNx, that is National Trail on South Mountain, Phoenix, AZ. Yes, I made that video on my Paradox. It was rough, but not really too bad. I may be able to scrounge a couple more short Paradox videos, I'm just now figuring out Vimeo. As I stated above, I ran the very same trail on my Pivot Firebird right before the Paradox and I was substantially faster on the Paradox. My Firebird is an awesome bike, but my riding style is much better suited to 29" wheels.

sakucee, very similar looking trail to what I ride, steep and chunky, and no place that you want to crash.

I knew that you guys were sworn to secrecy, but I appreciate the input and the mega-stoke. I ordered my rims last night, decided on the WTB Frequency i23's, also my front hub, going with the new LG1+ from e thirteen. I'm eyeballing the new 35mm Havoc bar/stem from Easton.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    It's certainly not because we've gotten bored with them. You'll be pleased.

Sometimes people say that they bought skills with a new bike. This one feels like I bought confidence. Our big-mountain rides are starting to open up, and I feel like Goofy yodeling down the side of a mountain in old Disney cartoons.

Like Sane Fred, I switched to a Vector Air HLR, and I'm really pleased with it. Highly recommended.

edit: Like FM, I started in the "slack" setting, and that's where it's stayed.

Crappy low-light cellphone snap from the end of last night's ride off the Continental Divide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	macpassprime1.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	698907
    Does that HLR wallow mid stroke like the DHX air? I'm considering one for my Rune but Im hesitant since they share very similar designs.

beater
    No, it doesn't have that issue. Suspension guts are kind of a black box for me, but I doubt they have much in common beyond the piggyback air shock form. The X Fusion has independent HSC and LSC adjustments, for example, so clearly those circuits are different.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Vector Air. It really made a difference to the back end of my Prime. This is the first time I've replaced a stock DHX-A, and the experience was eye-opening. The first time I climbed a steep, loose and rubbly pitch with the Vector installed, the rear wheel just seemed to disappear. It was tracking perfectly and just felt invisible. Halfway up I was saying to myself: "So THIS is what good suspension feels like."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have no problems with my DHX-A after replacing right size canister for my weight..

I suspect one of problems with DHX-A is the lack of good documentation how to adjust it.

MTB B'dos
    Nah, the DHX isn't anything special, despite the PR Fox puts out, the X-Fusion on the other hand having HIGH Speed and LOW speed compression adjustments, well I'd guess whole different story there - no first hand experience, just what all the owners have said. I'll be getting one of their non piggyback shocks for my Prime since I don't do the big hits and such, hoping by end of summer.

FYI, my DHX feels wallowy as all hell and despite me having the BO all the way out and only 125 PSI in it and proper SAG I CANNOT get it to use full travel.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    No, it doesn't have that issue. Suspension guts are kind of a black box for me, but I doubt they have much in common beyond the piggyback air shock form. The X Fusion has independent HSC and LSC adjustments, for example, so clearly those circuits are different.
    Para phrase - "Its a fantastic shock"
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    I have no problems with my DHX-A after replacing right size canister for my weight..

I suspect one of problems with DHX-A is the lack of good documentation how to adjust it.
    BTW, just came back from a FANTASTIC ride on the Prime, on the sort of terrain it's designed for and I can't say I noticed the weight one bit (it's only when I'm riding with those rich guys on their S-Works and Ultimate C'dales that are 10-12lbs lighter that I notice it when I'm beating them up climbs). Man what fun, absolute blast, can't wait till I have the $$ for the X-Fusion shock to really wake the Prime up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why no updates from Prime testers?-p1070075.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast