mtbr member

Who's using shorter cranks on their Spitty?

Love my Spitty and actually don't have hardly any pedal strikes (I'm pretty good at keeping them level thru the chunder) but have caught my foot on trailside obstacles on occasion (including today)! Thinking 170's instead of 175 cranks, esp. since I only have a 30" inseam and I'm running 170's on both my big bikes. Already have Point Ones for pedals so there's not much more to gain there from a clearance standpoint. What are you guys running?

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    175mm cranks... AND fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I run 165mm on my spitfire. The only pedal strikes I get are when making low turn cornering and I happen to have the pedal (on the side I'm turning) a bit too much towards the 6 o'clock position. No pedal strikes when the bike is upright and pedaling over rocks/roots. I sometimes think I could get better torque from a longer crank when pedaling uphill. I'm only running a1X9 setup, soon to be 1X10 but I think the leverage is substantially less with a shorter crank in terms of climbing.

mtbr member
    Running 177.5's on mine with a fast engagement rear hub to ratchet through in the odd occasion where pedal stikes are a possibility. Never have the inside pedal in a position where it can hit anything in the corners, keeping the outside pedal low and a bit forward improves your cornering traction significantly...

mtbr member
    175's and my XTR pedals are not shiny anymore, but if I stop pedaling, my bike will not go forward.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    165 and so I don't need to worry about pedal strikes. I'm 6´6 and short cranks doesn't bother me the least.

Very interesting article on crank length:
    "This resulted in a range of optimal crank lengths from 151-183 mm for the subjects. However, it is important to note that the “standard” 170 mm cranks produced, at most, an average of 0.5% lower maximal power output."
    h**p://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8845

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    170 mm Hones, and very few pedal strikes, but like most, that is usually just a matter of being aware of when you can pedal. On occassion I throw single ply tires on my DH bike for a XC ride (i.e. death march) and that is about the only time I ever have to worry about it, and even then it's not that big-a-deal IMO.

mtbr member
    I'm on 175 xts, no issues. I've been riding really low bikes for a while though and think that most can get used to it and improve their awareness of those rare times when you need to ratchet forward or wait a split second to pedal such that it is a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will say even with 165 mm XT cranks I occasionally have the instance where my whole front foot will get pinned to the ground as I'm pedaling and it hurts like hell. Usually it is a rock that is strategically placed at that singular point in the trail where I happen to be pedaling. Usually it seems it happens when I'm climbing. Oh and not to mention the occasional rock the hammers my foot as I'm plowing through loose rock gardens.
    So yeah pedal strikes do tend to happen with or without mindful pedaling. Those who aren't getting pedal strikes are either riding on smooth single track or hardly pedaling.