mtbr member

Where does preload begin?

On the pre-load adjuster on a coil shock? I have read that it begins about a half turn from loose. What does that mean? By loose do you mean a half turn from where the coil is flopping around on the shock body or do you mean loose where the coil is firmly seated between the adjuster and the shock collar?

Also can I just simply measure sag with a zip tie around the shaft? 25 percent is 25 percent right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    On the pre-load adjuster on a coil shock? I have read that it begins about a half turn from loose. What does that mean? By loose do you mean a half turn from where the coil is flopping around on the shock body or do you mean loose where the coil is firmly seated between the adjuster and the shock collar?

Also can I just simply measure sag with a zip tie around the shaft? 25 percent is 25 percent right?
    I do mine just snug considered loose.

Here is what I use to measure sag:

Where does preload begin?-rune.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    I do mine just snug considered loose.

Here is what I use to measure sag:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rune.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	636897
    Thanks. Yeah, I have that graph too. Might I ask what do you run for sag? I have been shooting for 30 percent according to that chart but I am thinking 25 percent may be a better way to go.

mtbr member
    I go 25% on my RC4.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You can use the bottom-out rubber bumper as sag measurement indicator, it will slide up from bottom of the shock shaft.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^ I think you are referring to the O'ring that can slide fairly freely on air shocks not the bump stop that is on most any coil shock. You don't want to confuse those who don't know any better

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No, i am not.

I mean the bumper on the shaft of the shock, you can just slide it up to make sag measurement and just cycle the shock to push it back down or just push it down with your fingers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45 View Post
    ^ I think you are referring to the O'ring that can slide fairly freely on air shocks not the bump stop that is on most any coil shock. You don't want to confuse those who don't know any better
    I may be new to coil shocks but I know what he is talking about.

mtbr member
    No one has really answered your question. Preload starts as soon as you start compressing the spring. From loose means from the point where the adjustment ring engages but does not compress the spring. There needs to be some preload on the spring or the adjuster will back out. That is where the half a turn comes from. It is necessary but it is still prelaod.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    good question about the preload. it begins when the end of the wire touches the last wind of the wire. in a free coil, there is a tiny gap between them. when its closed, preload begins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    No, i am not.

I mean the bumper on the shaft of the shock, you can just slide it up to make sag measurement and just cycle the shock to push it back down or just push it down with your fingers.
    O word. I didnt even know that you could move that bump stop I just assumed it was glued down on the bottom of the shock. I am gonna try this now the next time I go riding!

HOLLA!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post

You can measure sag of coil just by subtracting the static center eye to eye shock bolt measurement from the eye to eye while sitting on bike with all of your gear on (camelback w/typical water, helmet, and extras you typically pack with you). It's easiest to have someone else, like wife, GF or riding pal take this measurement while on bike, but I was able to do it myself by setting a static metal tape measure with bike resting against work bench to keep me from falling over and taking three measurements for relative accuracy. More accurate to get someone else to do it if they are sure to measure center of the shock bolts, but can do it yourself like above if needed. Coil is the sh%t and what I always used in the past on my bikes, but sure nice not have to sweat coil sizes and getting exact sag with preload and all when running air. FWIW, I still haven't touched my air shock since getting it over 1.5yrs ago while pretty much maintaining consistent sag and performance even though you do give a bit of total cush performance over coil.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    You can measure sag of coil just by subtracting the static center eye to eye shock bolt measurement from the eye to eye while sitting on bike with all of your gear on (camelback w/typical water, helmet, and extras you typically pack with you). It's easiest to have someone else, like wife, GF or riding pal take this measurement while on bike, but I was able to do it myself by setting a static metal tape measure with bike resting against work bench to keep me from falling over and taking three measurements for relative accuracy. More accurate to get someone else to do it if they are sure to measure center of the shock bolts, but can do it yourself like above if needed. Coil is the sh%t and what I always used in the past on my bikes, but sure nice not have to sweat coil sizes and getting exact sag with preload and all when running air. FWIW, I still haven't touched my air shock since getting it over 1.5yrs ago while pretty much maintaining consistent sag and performance even though you do give a bit of total cush performance over coil.
    I just used the bump stop. Pushed it all the way up. Sagged it out to 25 percent (13mm). Used a little ruler deal I fashioned to get in between the coil to take the measurement.