Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    123

    What fork do you recomend for a Spitfire

    I'm about to buy a new frame and shock. I 90% sure it will be a Spitfire. What fork do you recommend. I'm on a tight budget. I have been thinking about Sektor RL coil or air. Would that be a good choice? Something else? Marzocchi (used to love them)?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    508
    sektor coil is good...maybe you get a cheap lyrik?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    644
    a 55rc3 would feel nice but might be a bit heavy for a spitty, better on a rune or wildcard.

    Something like an X-fusion vengeance would be perfect IMHO
    Just another redneck with a bike

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    389
    fox 36, no question.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    123
    Looked at ebay. A older or used lyrik is within budget.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    17
    I use RS Domain for my spitfire. it cost me around $400.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    50
    This is just my opinion but I think that heavier forks like the Lyrik or 36s make no sense on the Spitfire. There are lots of light 150 mm forks that really bring up what the Spitfire is supposed to be. I don't see a point in having a heavier fork on such a light frame because you are adding extra weight to a light bike. If you want 160 mm of travel why don't you buy a Rune instead?

    I ride my Spitfire with a 150 mm Revelation and I find the weight distribution and the geometry to be spot on.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
    This is just my opinion but I think that heavier forks like the Lyrik or 36s make no sense on the Spitfire. There are lots of light 150 mm forks that really bring up what the Spitfire is supposed to be. I don't see a point in having a heavier fork on such a light frame because you are adding extra weight to a light bike. If you want 160 mm of travel why don't you buy a Rune instead?

    I ride my Spitfire with a 150 mm Revelation and I find the weight distribution and the geometry to be spot on.
    I second that, I also have a 150 revelation and it's perfect. Spitty is only a 5" travel bike, not sure why you need more than 6" up front. I ride most the time in the tall setting as I feel it handles much better on the tight twisty trails I ride, slack setting with 6" travel fork is slack for a trail bike but nice when the trails warrant it. Slack setting with a 36, lyric or vengeance would be really slack. It is a trail bike after all, my wife has a rune and that's much mor suited to the heavier longer travel sc forks. I'd imagine a 140mm velvet would also go great on the Spitty.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    165
    I'd go with a used Fox 36

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,498
    150mm Sektor is perfect for what you're looking for - budget priced and bombproof. I've got a PUSH'd Pike on mine and love it (predecessor to the Sektor). Think of the Sektor and Pikes as jump/bomber versions of the lighter Revelation. There's zero need to go to a Lyrik or 36 unless you're a total hack or you need the extra clearance for your riding area/style (the Spitty is plenty slack as is).

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 04-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    123
    Great to hear. Then it will be something like a Sektor or used Rev. Thanks

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    50
    I think that's the right choice. The Sektor is a great fork but a bit on the heavy side. Unless you want a coil fork, go for the Revelation if you have the money. I don't know where you are based, but in Europe you can get a new Revelation RL for the same price as a Sektor.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    154
    Mine is my 3rd Revelation and I've only got good things to say about them. First one, U-turn Air 130, was on my Rampant for 3 years and is now on my son's bike. Still going strong. 2nd one was a 2009 140 Dual Air now on my wife's bike. Both of those I believe were built on the Pike lowers so heavier than my current 2011 World Cup Revelation (also has the tapered carbon steerer). All 3 are still in service in my family and they are great forks. I've also owned 4 Fox 36's and still have a 36 Float 180 RC2 FIT on my DH bike. Also great forks but much bigger and taller. Could get away with a 36 160 travel fork with a ZS headset and the 1 1/8 steerer to avoid making the Spitfire too slack but why put the extra weight on the Spitfire for 10mm more travel? Next I'd like to get my Revelation WC Push'd but maybe not now since the prime riding season started way early in New England this year.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Next I'd like to get my Revelation WC Push'd but maybe not now since the prime riding season started way early in New England this year.
    Wow did it ever. Even here in Montreal almost everything is rideable. First time ever I rode my MTB in march this year (been riding mtbs for about 20 years).

    For the spitty: revelation, fox float 150mm. Buell runs a 140mm minute on his spitty and it doesn't seem to slow him down!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
    I think that's the right choice. The Sektor is a great fork but a bit on the heavy side. Unless you want a coil fork, go for the Revelation if you have the money. I don't know where you are based, but in Europe you can get a new Revelation RL for the same price as a Sektor.
    I'm based in Europe (Sweden). Where? Do you have any tips?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    55 RC3 on mine, is fantastic.

    If you want something lighter, then a 44 RC3 would fit the bill, but I think the extra stiffness from the big fork justifies the extra weight.

  17. #17
    nmb
    nmb is offline
    nuno borralho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    74
    Just swapped my revelation race 2010 1.25" QR9 150mm for a Fox Float 32 OB Evo tappered QR15 150mm and loving it. a more stiff front wheel and a lot smother fork.

    I just need to solve my frame link play

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    160mm, definitely.

    Before buying the fork, try out your friends bike and compare 150mm against 160mm.

    My personal opinion, the 160mm squeezes everything from the Spitfire.

  19. #19
    nmb
    nmb is offline
    nuno borralho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by bbmmtv View Post
    160mm, definitely.

    Before buying the fork, try out your friends bike and compare 150mm against 160mm.

    My personal opinion, the 160mm squeezes everything from the Spitfire.
    the tiny diference of 10mm don't justify the extra weigth from a 36 fox or lyric fork from a revelation or 32 fox... just my 2cents...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by nmb View Post
    the tiny diference of 10mm don't justify the extra weigth from a 36 fox or lyric fork from a revelation or 32 fox... just my 2cents...
    It's not about mm, it's about stiffness. 36 Float!

  21. #21
    nmb
    nmb is offline
    nuno borralho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyrick View Post
    It's not about mm, it's about stiffness. 36 Float!
    ok I just made the swap from a QR9 to QR15 and the difference is there. I just think the 36 stiffness is not needed on a spit. but I'm not an aggressive rider

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22
    Can't see me ever wanting anything other than a Lyrik coil U-Turn on mine. It's a 5 inch bike, sure, but the geometry is that of a longer travel bike and it cries out to be ridden in the sort of places where a stiff 160 fork is what you want.

    The u-turn lets you run it at 115mm for the sort of steep climbs you have to do to get to the sort of places where you want your 160mm fork, but it also lets you ride it at 130-140mm for general trail riding where you don't need all the extra travel and you want slightly steeper geometry, it really plays to the versatile nature of the frame. The weight penalty is negligible really.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,498
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrockliffe View Post
    Can't see me ever wanting anything other than a Lyrik coil U-Turn on mine. It's a 5 inch bike, sure, but the geometry is that of a longer travel bike and it cries out to be ridden in the sort of places where a stiff 160 fork is what you want.

    The u-turn lets you run it at 115mm for the sort of steep climbs you have to do to get to the sort of places where you want your 160mm fork, but it also lets you ride it at 130-140mm for general trail riding where you don't need all the extra travel and you want slightly steeper geometry, it really plays to the versatile nature of the frame. The weight penalty is negligible really.
    I've thought about that (actually have a coil Lyrik on my 6 Point) but come on now - a coil U-turn is like 2 pounds heavier than the Revelation air WC. How can you NOT notice that? I haven't gone with the Revy tho as they quit making the 20mm TA version, as I understand it, and that makes all the difference in the world for lateral stiffness/flex. I've been happy with my old PUSHed Pike but admit I could use the extra travel and ground clearance tho. Need to figure out how to modify the Pike for longer travel (basically what the Sektor is, right?).

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 05-31-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •