vaa
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

What is better for a Rune Coil Lyrik or Air Lyrik

I'm building a Rune an d I still need a fork. What is a better match for the Rune? My options are either a 2008 Coil u-tun Lyrik or a 2008 Air Solo Lyrik. the Air is $20 more. I'm thinking about the u-turn because or the adjustability for the climbs.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the Lyriks as I run a Van36 on my Rune.

But I'd suggest you go for a non adjustable fork as the Rune climbs impressively with 160mm up front. You would also benefit from having a fork that has simpler internals....less chance for problems and easier maintenance.

mtbr member
    Bit more info please, rider weight, intended riding, terrain etc.

TBH the difference isn't massive. Coil Lyrik is less adjustable for rider weight, has travel adjust, very marginally less maintenance and a little smoother. Air Lyrik is lighter, fixed travel, needs to be checked a little more often and is more adjustable to rider weight.

Nothing between them on damping or strength, they're the same parts. Also, if you buy one and don't like it, it's a fairly simple job to change the spring from coil to air or viceversa. Avoid the Lyrik 2 step, it still seems unreliable, or less reliable than U-turn/Solo air.

Personally I'd have the U-turn because I prefer the feel of coil forks, I've never bothered with the travel adjust feature though, just leave it at full travel.

vaa
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Here is the othe info that may sway the decision:
    I weigh 225 and live in mass. The bike is to be my one bike for everything. I'm building it as an all mountain/freeride bike. I will be climbing to where I'm going so I needs to do that equally as good as the decents. The terrain is a little bit or everything.

I've read that the feel of the coil fork is a little nicer than the air but I'm scared that the stock spring will be too soft for my weight. I don't really want to start to tear apart a fork as soon as I get it and to be honest this will be my first suspended bike so I doubt I'd even be able to tell the diff.

Do you think the spring in the u-turn is enough to support my weight or will I have to. Swap springs?

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    I'm thinking about the same choices with the added choice of a 2009 fox 36 talas all for about the same price. The solo air and fox are about the same weight and the coil u-turn weighs about 0.65lbs more.

Leaning towards the lyrik solo air right now. Would love to hear some more opinions.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vaa
    Thanks for the advice. Here is the othe info that may sway the decision:
    I weigh 225 and live in mass. The bike is to be my one bike for everything. I'm building it as an all mountain/freeride bike. I will be climbing to where I'm going so I needs to do that equally as good as the decents. The terrain is a little bit or everything.

I've read that the feel of the coil fork is a little nicer than the air but I'm scared that the stock spring will be too soft for my weight. I don't really want to start to tear apart a fork as soon as I get it and to be honest this will be my first suspended bike so I doubt I'd even be able to tell the diff.

Do you think the spring in the u-turn is enough to support my weight or will I have to. Swap springs?
    I am not on a Rune, but running a Lyrik coil.

You will need the firm spring. I ride mine in Austin (rocks/roots/3' drops) and bottom about every other ride running about 4 clicks of hi and low compression, iirc.

Switching the springs is easy peasy - a shop should be able to do it for you for $10.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Get a Vanilla 36. Travel adjust on the Rune is pointless IMO. I had it and tried to like climbing with my TALAS down at 100 or 130 because it was supposed to be better, but the bike rode better with it always in the 160mm setting. So I sold that thing and got a Vanilla, which is a much better fork.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"