Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Tyres for a Prime

What tyres do you lot recommend for a Prime? I'm in the UK so no High Roller 2s/Butchers at the moment (my first choice). I prefer a bigger tyre up front and something a bit smaller/quicker rolling/harder compound at the back.

I've currently got an Ardent up front and a crossmark on the rear. The Ardent scares the hell out of me on wet roots and the Prime means I can ride beyond the crossmark, adding to the scary factor (not to mention rim smashing).

I variously ride UK woodsy DH, trail centres, alps so need a do it all tyre. I'm also lazy so don't want to change them all the time (I also will run tubeless on Flow rims).

Hans Dampf up front? New Minion too big for relatively tame UK? Wait for Butcher/HR2 - anyone got a UK launch date for either? Might move ardent to back, but any other recommendations appreciated.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Sounds like youíve got the usual suspects figured.

Butcher front / purg rear (or something lighter/faster in back) would be my first choice.

I ran Purgatory 2.4ís F&R last season and loved them for dry conditions. Not so much as a front tire in the wet- not sure if the rubber was too hard, tire profile was too roundÖ

Iím currently on 2.35 schwalbes, hans dampf front, nobby nic rear. Despite being around the same weight as the purgatories they replaced, they are waayy slower rolling. But the Hans Dampf hooks up nicely in front, even in wet conditions or loose loam. If you canít get specialized Iíd go this route, although Iíd consider the 2.25 NN rear, or harder pacestar rubber compound, to get more life and less rolling resistance. The casings feel good and they work great tubeless.

My thoughts based on PNW conditions- not much chunder or hardpack, lots of loam, wet roots, BC rock faces, fire road climbing....ymmv

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, think a Hans Dampf is probably the way to go with the ardent or NN on the back. Are the Schwalbe sidewalls pretty tough? I find the crossmark a bit wimpy at low pressures and tends to roll about a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yes if SnakeSkin, if not, paper.

mtbr member
    I ride Ardents front and rear here in Sweden, came off Panaracer Rampage, Ardents have the same amount of grip but roll faster than the Rampange imho. Do hear good things about Spec tires though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Ardents have the same amount of grip.
    I find ardents just scary in the wet, think I'm used to something with more of an edge. Looking forward to trying it on the back though. Just seen that High Rollers due in UK in early June, so will wait for one them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    But the Hans Dampf hooks up nicely in front, even in wet conditions or loose loam.
    really? i was on a loam trail yesterday, sliding through chutes and corners - looked down to see my dampfs had completely packed up, looked more like a set of holly rollers than anything you'd find on a mtb

i like them as slow speed shore tires, they hook up well on rock and roots and such, but the knobs are way too tightly spaced to clear loam out, ime. thinking of cutting out the transition knobs to open things up a bit

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    really?
    I have been EXTREMELY fortunate in that my last 3 rides have all been on fresh trail (rake&ride, moss ripping, or have seen less than 20 rides). Loam city! The dampf has been hooking up great and not packing up.

Granted conditions have been dry.

Did I mention extremely fortunate? It's been like august in may... tonight will be 5 choice rides in 8 days. Prime is running great. Stoke!

I've seen a few images of peeps trimming off the intermediate row of knobs- sounds like you've considered that
    Last edited by FM; 05-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Or Hans Dampf might shed the knobs off on its own, local riders here used them for awhile, no longer.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    All roads point towards purgatory/butcher combo?

Or.... DHF + Icon TR?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    On a related topic has anyone tried Syntace wheels yet? I'm tempted to get some for my Prime (amongst other reasons to give tyres a better shape) but haven't seen many reviews beyond the Pinkbike one. Anyone?

The Mountain Bike Life
    I tried to get a set of the syntace wheels, but they never got back to me...lol. They look awesome, but I am happy with my Oozy purchase...they are on the way here right now!

As for tires I am going to go with Purgatory front and Ground Control rear....will letcha know how they do up here in the PNW.

MTB B'dos
    Now just seeing this thread. I've had the HR2 proto for well over 1.5 years now and it's my go to front tyre for the Prime. Inspires super confidence no matter the conditions, works really well across a wide range of trail surfaces and conditions, not sure why Maxxis hasn't gotten it out yet. The DHR2 is available on the Maxxis site though, very similar tread design to the HR2, except 3 different centre patterns instead of 2 and can be trimmed down depending on your preference to more match the HR2 profile.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Butchers. Be sad until you can get them

Rampage, Hans, etc. work well on the front. Surprisingly, the IKON 2.2 EXO is a crowd favorite amongst my riding group. I retired mine once I got a set of Butchers and my buddies have been passing my old IKONs around like a set of bachelor party hookers and have been raving about them. They/I like them MUCH better than the Crossmark in all regards. Has anyone tried a new 2.35 IKON??? That might be a sneaky good rear for most conditions.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Tyres for a Prime

My buddy just got his 2.3 Ikon EXO in the mail. 745gr on the digi scale. Will be back with a ride report when he gets out on it a few times

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Butchers not available in Canada currently, but i was able to convince a good bike shop to sell me the one off a stock bike on the floor. rolls surprisingly well, almost quiet even on the road, and loving the grip. 2.4 purg for the rear. great combo, but i'm always looking for lighter options. low 700 high 600 gram range, but there seems to be either full blown race tires, or these biggun's we're using. i hate climbing with the big rubber but our PNW trails are still quite wet up high, and ever technical, so essentially need them. mid summer, lower trails, i'll put the Ikon exo back on (light and fast) the back, not sure about front. maybe the same? maybe a Spesh GC? i'm trying to kill the inner weight weenie, but just can't. once i tried light tires, i really liked it. have a pair of Maxxis Beavers that are just wicked, but i know they may shred on any given ride and have to ride higher pressures, they're paper thin. i would gladly take 100g+ to that tire for added width and durability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    beavers are friggin awesome on mud pits. Personally i love 2.4 ardents both rear and back.. but my rear one is getting shot up, gonna try ikon on back i think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Right, a simpler version of the thread question - Minion DHF 2.5 or a High Roller 2 2.3 for a front tyre?

I bought a Purgatory 2.3 for the rear and I want a fit and forget tyre for UK woods riding, alps singletrack and the odd enduro race. Loved minions in the past up front on my Enduro, worried that 2.5" is too big...Please convince me otherwise?! 100g difference, not enough to bother me.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a IKON 2.2 for rear tire as a test for Swedish summer conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Where did you get them from out of interest? Can't get the new TR tyres in the UK until Friday I think (happy to be corrected though).

mtbr member
    I ordered one of these from CRC:
    Maxxis Ikon XC 29er Folding Tyre - EXO - 29 x 2.2 - 3C - Folding

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Maxxis Ikon XC 29er Folding Tyre - EXO - 29 x 2.2 - 3C - Folding
    shoulda held out for a 2.35. i'm running a 2.2 icon out back, its a great tire but doesn't have the volume or traction to do the prime justice imo

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought a Spec Butcher for the front and a Purgatory for the rear, hope I'm not making a mistake switching away from Minions but there's only one way to find out.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Quote Originally Posted by thematthewjones View Post
    I bought a Spec Butcher for the front and a Purgatory for the rear, hope I'm not making a mistake switching away from Minions but there's only one way to find out.
    I love the new specialized tires...but the DHF's are still king in my book...but they just priced themselves out of contention.

I have been running the Purgatory 2.3 in the front and the Ground Control 2.3 in the rear, both control casing and I have really been liking them. I was worried they would be a little more XC that I should be running but so far so good...mostly XC stuff...they will see some more abusive riding this weekend.

MTB B'dos
    Depends on the trails you ride and the casing you chose. For me personally the Maxxis EXO casing is much more robust than the Control casing, this being a weight vs weight type comparison in terms of what tyres weigh that use them. Not a lot of luck with the Purgatory Control casing on our rocks, sliced on the 3rd ride tubeless, Maxxis tyres still going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by thematthewjones View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast