Nucking Futs

titanium Scythe/ Legend rear axle

I want it, now. You've made me wait long enough!

Last edited by Sneeck; 03-05-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Amplify your ®ide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Also curious. I love the Maxle but I am curious to hear about this. And I am sure it could be used on the Primes.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Nucking Futs
    banshee bikes industry insider: Titanium 150x12 axle update

Come on I want one of these beauties!
    Amplify your ®ide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Never noticed that before on the blog. KEITH where are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by colds14 View Post
    Never noticed that before on the blog. KEITH where are you?
    Email him, excellent customer service and pretty fast reply back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We are not sure how viable these axles are going to be since titanium material costs have doubled in the last year....we are still considering the option. Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for a Ti rear axle that is more than 10 times as strong as a maxle (easily strongest axle out there), fully supports all hub bearings, is very low profile and weighs 55g?

The answer to this question may well be the make or break to this project.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just a new maxel for my scythe. Bought it from fanatik, a morewood axel. Only difference is a nut you put on the end after installing the maxel. Bought it for $50.00, the cheapest one. Normally 75.00 for one. A titanium one would last even longer, stronger and out live you and your frame. Since a lot frames I've been looking at is also maxel compatible, it would fit other manufacture frames. You would have the market there also. I would pay 100.00 very most 125.00.
    Off topic why titanium? If you make the axel itself why use titanium if its not cost effective. I'm pretty sure most people would say the maxel is the weekest link on the bike. You could then reduce your cost by not purchasing the maxel from rockshox, and have your own. Also giving the customer a better product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ti was just a nice upgrade for people when idea first came along, and at the time we could make them for less than a maxle... so idea was to sell all relavent frames with Ti axle as standard... I'm looking at different options now.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Since a lot frames I've been looking at is also maxel compatible, it would fit other manufacture frames. You would have the market there also. I would pay 100.00 very most 125.00.
    I agree. $100 to $125. I love the simplicity of the Maxle but I have broken one.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Would the Turner 150x12 axle work? Turner Bikes Online Store

I have the older version (or maybe the same, not sure) on my Highline. That frame was Maxle compatible but most people just used this included axle. It is made from aluminum. I have never had a problem with it loosening or breaking in 3 years of use.

I'm interested because I might be picking up a used Legend this week.

Titanium is cool and all but so expensive and an aluminum axle would likely weigh less.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i am using a 25$ aluminium axle with roughly the same weight as the titanium (57gr) on my legend and it works without any problems whatsoever.
    so i think you are right that placing such an axle on the market right now is only for a few freaks.
    just my 2 cents... invest your energies in something different...

Nucking Futs
    Freak representing! Haha, I just like bling stuff that actually back's up to hard abuse. Sure my '09 maxle hasn't given any issues(not the light version, thank goodness) but there are always people looking for something extra. Though I would agree for such a small company in this time to focus time, energy and resources on other more important things.

Bit of a shame though I was really looking forward to this thing. Same here, $ 100 - 125 is a pretty reasonable price.
    Amplify your ®ide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ti axle isn't written off just yet, but we will be looking at a lower cost option as well.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was waiting for the Ti version as well, but honestly a good strong steel or aluminum axle would be enough to get me to part with my money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My riding buddy machined me a rear aluminum axle from scratch after maxle broke on 3rd ride on my scythe. Custom axle has been hanging tough ever since. Maxle is a weak pos in my opinion.