mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Tips For A Dropper Post Newb?

After a nice little crash a week ago, I decided it was time for a dropper post. I didn't want to spend too much $$$, as it seams people have issues with every dropper on the market (with the GD being the outlier).

I ordered the KS eTen, and am looking forward to getting it setup on the Prime. Do you guys have any suggestions as to cable routing, or any extra steps/methods to take to ensure proper operation of a dropper?

When the snow starts to fly, I will be switching the dropper over to my 9:ZERO:7, as it should make mouting and dismounting in the deep snow a little less "painful".

mtbr member
    The eTen is externally routed so you don't have much of a choice but to route it along your top tube. Use 3 zipties to guide the dropper post cable: one towards the front of the top tube, the second somewhere in the middle of the top tube and the third at the top of the seat tube.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200

Bnerd
    I'm not sure what year frame you have but my 2013 Prime frame has cable guides (braze-ons) along the top tube for a dropper post cable housing.

My only suggestion is to follow the cable cutting measurements. With my Lev it called for 22mm of cable showing above the housing at the post connecting end. Too long or short and it affects how the post works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well I ordered a eTen 385mm and it ended up being too short. Think I will be going with a gravity dropper instead.