mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Spitfire---what stem length you running?

Hey all, been riding a spitfire for about 2 months now and am pretty happy with it. However one thing I am struggling with is getting the right front end lift for small drops, and popping off roots & rocks etc. I'm 6'2" on a large with zero stack and 160 fork. Running a 70mm stem and wide bars (this is the shortest travel/ longest chainstay bike I've owned). The cockpit feels perfect minus the former complaint. So, should I run a shorter stem or adapt? What length stem are you running?
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 08-26-2011 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    5'11" on a medium Spitfire. I've gone from a 50mm to a 35mm stem.

mtbr member
    hey big jc .. im about 6,23" same as you

what do you think about the bike on large ?
    is it okay to abuse the bike for drop etc

im thinkin gettin a large spity with 50mm stem wide bar

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i run a 50mm stem an it's on the money for me on a medium frame, an i'm 6ft...

mtbr member
    6'2 on a large w/ 50mm stem and 750mm bars. Feels great to me--I noted the spitty to be a little tougher to pick up the front end at first, but now I never even think about it. I think one thing that people miss is that all other things being equal, as your bars are wider, you will run a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by greasontofall View Post
    hey big jc .. im about 6,23" same as you

what do you think about the bike on large ?
    is it okay to abuse the bike for drop etc

im thinkin gettin a large spity with 50mm stem wide bar
    size wise I would go for the large. If your a smooth rider i'm sure it can handle a lot however depending on your riding may want to consider the rune.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    K, thanx for the responses guys. That's what I needed to hear and definitely going to drop down to a 50mm stem. After a big ride today seems obvious now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    size wise I would go for the large. If your a smooth rider i'm sure it can handle a lot however depending on your riding may want to consider the rune.
    thx for the reply ... still back and forward between rune or spity

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by greasontofall View Post
    thx for the reply ... still back and forward between rune or spity
    I was on the fence for a while also. I would say if you mostly trail ride get the spitfire. I'm coming off an rfx as my main bike and the spitty smokes it in most situations. If you ride a lot of park days jumps drops etc get the rune

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" on a medium spitty & run a 60mm stem, this is with a 150mm fork

Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
    6-2 on a large with Fox 36 and 65mm stem and setback post. Fits me perfectly. Of course all our bodies are made a little differently, so there is no hard and fast rule. Best bet is to find a shop that has lots of "fit" stems to try and go ride.

*Edit* After Re-reading the above comments I might try a 50mm stem and wider bars. A friend rides for ODI so I might get some of those.
    Last edited by sjordan72; 10-11-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Obviously, you're not a golfer.

mtbr member
    Not only depends on your body type but bike SETUP as well. I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam so I have a long torso. I'm using Syntace bars with a 12 deg sweep so that cuts down on the effective stem length already. Combine that with 15mm stack height under my stem (running a 140mm Pike) with a slack HTA (also reduces the effective stem length) and I found that a 50mm stem was an absolute JOKE! Front tire was coming off the ground on climbs even when weighting the front! 70mm works perfect for me and yes, I have wide bars and do know how to use a short stem (50mm on my 6 Point and 45mm on M3).

To each their own,

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 10-21-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    5'11" on a medium with 50 mm stem, 760 mm RF Atlas bars, 160 mm fork with a zerostack headset, and its working great for me. I had a 70 mm stem on there, and seemed like I was all over the front end landing jumps and trying to rail corners. A riding bud suggested I tried a shorter stem (which did not seem intuitive) to help put my weight a little further back, and it worked like a charm. It's also worth noting that wide bars (like mine) tend to put your weight a little forward, which is can be a good thing as long as it's not excessive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    6'6 on an XL, 60mm stem, 780 Truvativ Boobars and straight post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    5'9' on medium with 55mm stem and long wide v1 bars

mtbr member
    Here's a good explanation on why stem length or top tube length is really useless unless you take into account stack height as well: Reach and stack based sizing for mountain bikes - Pinkbike.com
    Even just adding a few spacers under the stem will shorten the reach significantly on slack bikes like the Spitty.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    6'2" on Large with 50mm stem and 720mm bars..perfect for me..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    6'2 on a large w/ 50mm stem and 750mm bars. Feels great to me--I noted the spitty to be a little tougher to pick up the front end at first, but now I never even think about it. I think one thing that people miss is that all other things being equal, as your bars are wider, you will run a shorter stem.
    Same hight, same setup for me it is spot on!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    6'2" on a large with a 50mm stem & 760mm bar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    5'11" on a Medium and running a 40 mm stem with a 750 bar.

I am thinking about getting a new 45-50 mm stem to shave so weight and to get a better pedalling position. Any suggestions? I currently have a Hussefelt but I'm thinking about the PZ Racing 45 mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    170cm (5.6"?) / 160mm fork using ZS headset / 750mm bar
    Using 50mm stem.
    Perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 5'11" and running a 50mm stem with 711mm bars.

I used to use longer stems (60 & 70). Was good for just riding along, but I prefer to be towards the back a bit when it comes to drops or jumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    5'10" and running a 70mm stem on my medium Spitfire. I tried 50mm and 60mm lengths, but the the 70mm works best for me because I have longer-than-normal arms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsWin View Post
    5'10" and running a 70mm stem on my medium Spitfire. I tried 50mm and 60mm lengths, but the the 70mm works best for me because I have longer-than-normal arms.
    Ditto. Lots of variables on here (as I've already pointed out) and not a "one size works for all" answer like some are implying. And, FWIW, the bike is actually spec'd with a 90mm stem (yeah, now THAT seems long!). BTW I don't just "cruise along".
    Now if I go to a 150 fork and drop the spacers under the stem... yeah, I'd probably be at 50-60mm stem length. Moral of the story... asking for stem length is useless without understanding all the parameters affecting reach length.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 05-18-2012 at 11:01 PM.