Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14

    Smile Spitfire V2: Reasons Hammerschmidt not recommended....

    Hi all,

    I have a V2 Spitfire (large) arriving within weeks and am considering the crankset to put on it.

    After some searching and reading (one example here), and here , I am aware that the Hammerschmidt system is not recommended.

    Previous threads here have stated that the axle path of the Spit V1 was not designed to work with the HS and that given the granny size of the chainring, pedal feedback would be noticeable to the point of... well, making the HS route less than ideal.

    Has anyone actually had any experience of one on their Spit V1 or V2, and could I ask that if builttoride has anything to add, that would be most appreciated! My local LBS in Japan is of the opinion that the HS would actually reduce pedal feedback, and are suggesting I try it (since I have a HS lying around from a few years back).

    The other options I have (since I have bits around the shed) is an X-type Race Face Evolve single ring set up or a Truvativ Noir Twin ring...

    Any thoughts more than welcome.
    Dave

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    326
    Banshee frames, and in honestly, most short-link suspension designs ( such as DW Link or Giant Maestro ), have a fairly high chain growth. This leads to certain amount of drivetrain induced bob when pedaling hard on the small chainrings.

    The upside is, that the same chaingrowth stabilizes the suspension when mashing the gears on the 32T-36T range chainrings, lending the bike to 1x10 drivetrains.

    Hammerschmidt is not recommended because it runs the small chainring all the time, thus you miss the real performace of KS-Link.

    That being said, I use 35T/21T front chainrings with 12-30 cassette and I go by just fine. Even on 21-30 gear the bike goes up fine.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,778
    The Spitfire V2 will work better with the Hammerschmidt than the V1 did due to reduces antisquat, but will still not work optimally... As chainring size reduces the pedal kickback will always increase if there is any chainstretch.

    I personally do not recommend the Hammerschmidt because the constant small chainring will have adverse affect on the overall performance and feel of the frame.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14
    Thanks! It is great to get some feedback! I think I'll try the single ring set up with a 36 T chainring and 11-34 cassette and see how that works to start with. I can't wait!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,778
    36T is a pretty big chainring to drive. Fine unless you have steep climbs, but I presume you must have them to merit having a hammerschmidt in the first place.

    Personally I've settled on a 33 tooth chainring up front with 11-36 cassette. (Until my production spitfire arrives and I'll go XX1 to help with the steepest stuff then I'm going with a 34T chainring).
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  6. #6
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    So, how would a spitfire works with a XX01 or XX1 with a 28t or 30t ring?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,778
    It would work fine, but I think you'd find that you ran out of gears pretty quickly as that desn't give you a very high gear ratio. I personally run 34 tooth up front and can climb everything.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jlf.ski.bike.sail's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    167
    i currently have a 36t ring with 11/36 in the rear. I like this for racing, but for having fun on the bike and pedaling up steep/technical climbs i'd defintely prefer a 32t or 34t up front.

    unless you plan on doing 20 mile+ 3000'+ vert trail rides i dont see why anyone in good shape would want to run a 2x setup...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969 View Post
    So, how would a spitfire works with a XX01 or XX1 with a 28t or 30t ring?
    Seems to work great and I've used both rings with my XX1. Currently using the 28T but eventually may go back to the 30T once I'm back into better mtn. bike shape (only 50 miles on the Spitty now). I live in New England and for the most part we don't have allot of long downhills or long extended climbs. What we do have is rocks and roots and tons of em. Lots of short, very technical climbs and washouts and lots of rock gardens. My Spitty is setup much more as a trailbike than a downhill flyer. Flip chips in the high/steep setting for ground clearance and climbing....and climb it does. Better than any bike I've had and Banshee's VPP has to be a major contributor to this. It's awesome IMO and I'm super happy with it. Just keep the legs going and it finds it way up and over crap. My tires aren't even set up tubless with low pressure yet either. That should take it to another level. But with my 56YO legs I need those small front rings for our terrain. If builttoride can push a 34T ring with XX1 that's pretty impressive. I'd be toast in short order.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Seems to work great and I've used both rings with my XX1. Currently using the 28T but eventually may go back to the 30T once I'm back into better mtn. bike shape (only 50 miles on the Spitty now). I live in New England and for the most part we don't have allot of long downhills or long extended climbs. What we do have is rocks and roots and tons of em. Lots of short, very technical climbs and washouts and lots of rock gardens. My Spitty is setup much more as a trailbike than a downhill flyer. Flip chips in the high/steep setting for ground clearance and climbing....and climb it does. Better than any bike I've had and Banshee's VPP has to be a major contributor to this. It's awesome IMO and I'm super happy with it. Just keep the legs going and it finds it way up and over crap. My tires aren't even set up tubless with low pressure yet either. That should take it to another level. But with my 56YO legs I need those small front rings for our terrain. If builttoride can push a 34T ring with XX1 that's pretty impressive. I'd be toast in short order.
    Yeah, it just goes to show how one riders setup does not suit what another rider needs. We all have our own requirements. The riding around here is very different from what you describe, more flow with more gradual gradients by the sounds of it. 34 has me easily covered, I could run 36 quite happily too.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  11. #11
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,239
    Don't forget, he's also prob 20+ years your junior

    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    S..... But with my 56YO legs I need those small front rings for our terrain. If builttoride can push a 34T ring with XX1 that's pretty impressive. I'd be toast in short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Yeah, it just goes to show how one riders setup does not suit what another rider needs. We all have our own requirements. The riding around here is very different from what you describe, more flow with more gradual gradients by the sounds of it. 34 has me easily covered, I could run 36 quite happily too.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Similar Threads

  1. One of the reasons I ride....
    By calboy in forum Passion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
  2. Reasons to go tubeless
    By David C in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
  3. some more reasons to get out of clips
    By singlesprocket in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 411
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 07:20 PM
  4. Reasons for or against, please help me decide.
    By 28fiend in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
  5. Anyone running a Hammerschmidt on their Spitfire?
    By KYMtnBkr in forum Banshee Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •