mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Spitfire V2 front derailleur?

Hi,

Building up new Spitty V2s for me and my girlfriend and ran into some clearance issues with a Shimano XT E-type front mech. The rear of the cage has to be sanded down a couple of mm's to clear the upright on the swingarm it seems.

Can anybody tell me any front deraillers that fit without modification? Thinking of getting one for myself as well (currently on 1x9). Prefferably in the X7-X9 / SLX-XT range.

Thanks!
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I too had to sand down my 3x10 front XT derailleur to clear the frame. I just bought an XT 2x10 front derailleur that fits without modification. Unfortunately my chain keeps derailling to the outside because the cage doesn't sit close enough to the crank. I would go with SRAM for a closer fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Spitfire V2 front derailleur?

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I too had to sand down my 3x10 front XT derailleur to clear the frame. I just bought an XT 2x10 front derailleur that fits without modification. Unfortunately my chain keeps derailling to the outside because the cage doesn't sit close enough to the crank. I would go with SRAM for a closer fit.
    Did you switch to the 2x specific cranks?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Banshee recommends SRAM front derailleurs due to their more compact design eliminating frame clearance issues.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    im using a sram x7 low direct mount s3 with no clearance issues whatsoever it also sits really close to my 36t ring as its 36t specific the rest of my drive train is SLX though as I much prefer shimano to sram

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SLX M675 E2 works without any issues or mods

(2x10 derailleur which I use for my older 2x9 btw)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Banshee recommends SRAM front derailleurs due to their more compact design eliminating frame clearance issues.
    Thanks for the clarification and input guys.

Can anybody tell me which SRAM front derailler to buy to run 22/32t? A double or a triple? Most front deraillers seem optimized for bigger rings.
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.