mtbr member
    Apr 2007

SPITFIRE, should I pull the trigger or wait ??

I've been wanting one pretty bad but then the frame wear issue came up. I've thought about it some and someone raised a decent point, you gotta look at the "scope" probably a small percentage of frames are having issues compared to the number of frames sold that are floating around out there. But I wouldn't wanna buy one only to find out there gonna fix things by next spring/summer. Besides the spitty I've been lookin into NICOLAI Helius AM, yeti sb66 , mojo hd140, transition bandit, morewood sukomo .But honestly , the spity has been at the top of my list for a while and now I'm torn, heeelllppp!!??

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    All the frames on your list are sweet bikes & you couldn't go wrong with any of them. I considerd many frames before going with the spitfire and couldn't be happier. The bike flat out rips. My advice concerning the pivots would be to follow the advice to not overtighten and grease often. If your mechenically inclined I would have zero issues getting the spifire. Infact I would consider the bushings a huge plus versus the bearings in the other frames. Properly maintained they will last a long long time. On the other hand I'm sure that yeti is a very nice bike too.

mtbr member
    I did the same thing last year and held off until this year. Now I realize I wasted last year riding my BLT which was a nice bike but the Spitty... well it's the most fun you can legally have on a bike! I've been riding mine more than my FR and DH bikes because it can do a lot of that too! Two words... GET ONE!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

spitty

just built mine up..fkna..sweet little slack trail bike. Completely built up it is less than the mojo HD frame I was going to buy and would argue it is not a compromise either.

mtbr member
    Do it!

Just switched back to "Slack" after a few weeks in the "Steep" setting.

Best Bike EVAH!

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    I don't think my Spitfire will ever suffer bearing wear issues. It's 11 months old, has been used two or three times and each time I rode it I thought it was the most dissapointing, over hyped bike i have riden in over 25 years. Try before you buy and form your own opinions before pulling the trigger- i wish I did before spunking loads of money on a lame bike on the recommendation of others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr S View Post
    I don't think my Spitfire will ever suffer bearing wear issues. It's 11 months old, has been used two or three times and each time I rode it I thought it was the most dissapointing, over hyped bike i have riden in over 25 years. Try before you buy and form your own opinions before pulling the trigger- i wish I did before spunking loads of money on a lame bike on the recommendation of others.
    What the WHAT? What bike were you coming off of? Sure it's not for everyone but this post really surprises me. For anyone with a disposition more towards the gravity end of the spectrum the Spitty is far and away the best trail bike out there. Setup and weight distribution is critical tho and I did swap out the shock to a PUSHED Monarch RT which made a world of difference. Are you in the slack (upper hole) setting or trail? Slack is really the only position for this bike IMHO. And what stem are you running? That was also critical for getting proper weight on the front tire in my case (70mm works world's better than 50mm for me on this bike with a lot of stack height under the stem). I wouldn't give up on it unless you're an XC race kind of guy.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    What the WHAT? What bike were you coming off of? Sure it's not for everyone but this post really surprises me. For anyone with a disposition more towards the gravity end of the spectrum the Spitty is far and away the best trail bike out there. Setup and weight distribution is critical tho and I did swap out the shock to a PUSHED Monarch RT which made a world of difference. Are you in the slack (upper hole) setting or trail? Slack is really the only position for this bike IMHO. And what stem are you running? That was also critical for getting proper weight on the front tire in my case (70mm works world's better than 50mm for me on this bike with a lot of stack height under the stem). I wouldn't give up on it unless you're an XC race kind of guy.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Slightly OT: I don't own a banshee yet but I do own one of them ragley blue pig hardtail thingies. I've got an xfusion vengeance on mine and static geo mimics that of the spitty (low, slack, roomy cockpit, long wheelbase). Anyway, I am a believer in this combo of geometry numbers. Really suits my body and keeps my knees happy. The pig pedals very well on the steep climbs, no wheelbarrow-effect and rips (translation: confidence-inspiring) on the steep downhills, be it chunky or tight and smooth. I lowered the fork to 140 to get the BB even lower and steering a bit quicker, OMG! ...never going back to 160mm on this bike again! I took it out on a 25-mile epic with 5,000 feet+ of climbs (yup, lots of steep climbs over a short distance) last Sunday and was grinning like a madman on the downhills, especially the steep and tight stuff. The whole time thinking that this must be how a Spitty rides and must be what the hype is all about.
    Anyway, to the OP, if you can wait until early next year when we were all promised that an interim but effective solution to the frame-wear issue would be available pending Spitty/Rune V2, I think you'd be good. Right now figure out what geometry you like. Geo is the most important factor to me when deciding on what bike to get.

Last edited by bailout; 10-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Slightly OT: I don't own a banshee yet but I do own one of them ragley blue pig hardtail thingies. I've got an xfusion vengeance on mine and static geo mimics that of the spitty (low, slack, roomy cockpit, long wheelbase). Anyway, I am a believer in this combo of geometry numbers. Really suits my body and keeps my knees happy. The pig pedals very well on the steep climbs, no wheelbarrow-effect and rips (translation: confidence-inspiring) on the steep downhills, be it chunky or tight and smooth. I lowered the fork to 140 to get the BB even lower and steering a bit quicker, OMG! ...never going back to 160mm on this bike again! I took it out on a 25-mile epic with 5,000 feet+ of climbs (yup, lots of steep climbs over a short distance) last Sunday and was grinning like a madman on the downhills, especially the steep and tight stuff. The whole time thinking that this must be how a Spitty rides and must be what the hype is all about.
    Anyway, to the OP, if you can wait until early next year when we were all promised that an interim but effective solution to the frame-wear issue would be available pending Spitty/Rune V2, I think you'd be good. Right now figure out what geometry you like. Geo is the most important factor to me when deciding on what bike to get.
    Agreed. After riding and studying bike geometry for the past 20 years I knew exactly what I was looking for and the Spitty is it and bought one sight unseen. Was on a ride today where I just kept pushing it on a long steep downhill and there was no ceiling so finally decided wtf, hang it all out. My buddy said I was next to him and then like a speck before I disappeared out of view. Honestly I don't know that I'd lay it out that much even on my M3! I gave up a lil' (very lil') compared to my old BLT on the uphills but the downhills are not even in the same league - good riddance to Santa Cruz and VPP if you ask me!

Have FUN!!!

G MAN

mtbr member
    OOookay, just got done reading DrS's review on here and that pretty much explains everything:
    1. UK rider/mainly technical trails.
    2. Never owned a DH bike.
    3. Owned many nice "classic" mtb's with old school geometry.
    4. Pedal strikes main issue with Spitty (see #1, 2 and 3).
    Bike isn't for everyone...

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Pedal choice can be key with this bike too; I use Point One Podiums - one of the thinnest pedals on the planet. Improves overall feel and really helps with low BB clearance issues/pedal strikes!
    Last edited by Gman086; 10-09-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    OOookay, just got done reading DrS's review on here and that pretty much explains everything:
    1. UK rider/mainly technical trails.
    2. Never owned a DH bike.
    3. Owned many nice "classic" mtb's with old school geometry.
    4. Pedal strikes main issue with Spitty (see #1, 2 and 3).
    Bike isn't for everyone...

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Pedal choice can be key with this bike too; I use Point One Podiums - one of the thinnest pedals on the planet. Improves overall feel and really helps with low BB clearance issues/pedal strikes!
    Thanks for your imput G Man.

1. Not sure what being in the UK has to do with it. We have very varied terrain here, especially up here in the north. It should work somewhere over here
    2. Owned a number of DH bikes in the past. Some great, some not so.
    3. Owned just as many modern bikes with geometry from classic oldskool 71/73 to slack headed 67 steel hardtails with 160mm forks.
    4. Pedal strike is a big deal to me. I'm all for a stable platform but if you have to ratchet through singletrack to avoid pinging pedals then its gone too far. Lower profile pedals should not be needed when running 160mm cranks.

I know its not for everyone but for most of UK riders I know this bike sucks. I did wonder why the importer hasn't offered one as a test bike to any of the mags over here.

Si

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Just out of interest, what fork are you running G Man?

I was thinking of swapping out the shock to a pushed Monarch, but having changed so many parts on this bike to try and find the right set up I'm loath to throw any more time and effort at it.

Si

mtbr member
    Just out of interest, what fork are you running G Man?

I was thinking of swapping out the shock to a pushed Monarch, but having changed so many parts on this bike to try and find the right set up I'm loath to throw any more time and effort at it.

Si
    I have to say both my fork and shock are totally dialed. I'm running an external HS with a 140mm Pike with a PUSH gen3 tune and a PUSHED Monarch RT-AM at no MORE than 25% sag (real important, I found, to retain BB height and prevent squish when hammering). I use 175mm cranks with the ultra-thin pedals and it's dialed!
    Reason I mentioned UK rider is that all I hear, over there, is that you have a lot of roots and rocks and not many smooth/flowy trails like we have here in the Pacific NW.
    I do admit that I have had some problems when climbing technical sections because of pedal strikes but I've learned to rely on my high engagement hub (I9 - a godsend with the Spitty) and have gotten used to ratcheting really tough sections. I wouldn't give up on it just yet unless all you have is really technical riding. If so then I highly recommend the Enduro from big S.
    All in all I'm absolutely thrilled with my Spitty. My friends keep telling me I've really stepped up my game this year but honestly, it's the bike not the rider!

Cheers!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 10-10-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    So the monarch is a go-er then. Interesting.

Yes it is rocky and rooty here in the North of England. What I find funny though is if a Spitty cannot handle rocks and roots and is more suited to smooth and flowing trails then why have a full suspension bike in the first place? A good hardtail with a 140 fork would surely be more suitable for smooth trails no? My favourite bike at the moment is my Cotic Soul. It runs a 1 x 10 drivetrain, 140 Magura Thors, 2.3 Larsons and absolutely flies on anything but really rough sections when things start to get busy around the back end.
    I had the opportunity to try out several bikes one weekend...my Spitty, a 2011 Turner 5 spot, Orange Five, Intense, Specialized Enduro etc, all built to a similar high end spec. The Spitty didn't fare too well in such company. I'm sure its not me either as everyone who tried the Spitty came to the same conclusions that something just wasn't right.
    Maybe switching to a 160 fork and a Monarch could improve things but as I said before, I'm relectant to throw more money at this thing. I would love to get along with it, its a great looking bike and pretty well made- the welding, alignment (yes I have had it on the table to check that all is well), machining etc are all first class. I just can't feel the love when riding it.

Si

mtbr member
    Yes it is rocky and rooty here in the North of England. What I find funny though is if a Spitty cannot handle rocks and roots and is more suited to smooth and flowing trails then why have a full suspension bike in the first place? A good hardtail with a 140 fork would surely be more suitable for smooth trails no?
    Si
    No... Look up some of the vids for Post Canyon, Black Rock, Sandy Ridge, Whoops, Duthie Hill, Galbraith and you'll begin to understand. Our flowy trails have plenty of drops, stunts and jumps to make use of as much suspension as you want to bring! Even with a Spitty you'd better be a smooth rider or you might as well step up to a Rune (which, BTW, may suit your tastes more with the higher BB?).

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    So the monarch is a go-er then. Interesting.

Yes it is rocky and rooty here in the North of England. What I find funny though is if a Spitty cannot handle rocks and roots and is more suited to smooth and flowing trails then why have a full suspension bike in the first place? A good hardtail with a 140 fork would surely be more suitable for smooth trails no? My favourite bike at the moment is my Cotic Soul. It runs a 1 x 10 drivetrain, 140 Magura Thors, 2.3 Larsons and absolutely flies on anything but really rough sections when things start to get busy around the back end.
    I had the opportunity to try out several bikes one weekend...my Spitty, a 2011 Turner 5 spot, Orange Five, Intense, Specialized Enduro etc, all built to a similar high end spec. The Spitty didn't fare too well in such company. I'm sure its not me either as everyone who tried the Spitty came to the same conclusions that something just wasn't right.
    Maybe switching to a 160 fork and a Monarch could improve things but as I said before, I'm relectant to throw more money at this thing. I would love to get along with it, its a great looking bike and pretty well made- the welding, alignment (yes I have had it on the table to check that all is well), machining etc are all first class. I just can't feel the love when riding it.

Si
    Weird - I live in the Rocky Mountains and rarely have pedal strike issues - and I run 177.5 cranks. I wonder if your sag is set properly...

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    The trails in this part of the UK are mainly moorland and steep sided wooded valleys (for moorland think Heathcliffe and Cathy, Hound of the Baskervilles). Its very wet and erosion forms deep rutted and narrow gulleys between the heather with lots of exposed rocks and roots- most of which cannot be seen until you hit them.
    I took thebike out again last night in the company of several other 5-7" travel trail/enduro bikes and was the only one with repeated pedal strike issues.

Shock sag is set at just 10% (which is plenty hard enough and the trade off is harshness and a loss of traction) fully kitted up and in most of the sections i was using the lock out on the fork to prevent further diving. On the smoother, more open sections I must admit this bike absolutely flies and really impresses, but that is a rare pleasure indeed. Maybe a rune with the higher BB would have been better for me?

Thanks again for your input guys.

Si

mtbr member
    The Spitty was designed by a Scottsman..I don't think he would design a bike to suck in the UK..something isn't right with your set up or your trails are really rocky...but I do agree the BB is a bit low for my tastes in slack (I ride slow rolling techy / rocky NE USA trails) which is why I ended up on a Rune.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    get the spitty it truly is the most fun bike out there, the closest thing to a DH rig but mini! keep them pedals level an you wont hit anything!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The trails in this part of the UK are mainly moorland and steep sided wooded valleys (for moorland think Heathcliffe and Cathy, Hound of the Baskervilles). Its very wet and erosion forms deep rutted and narrow gulleys between the heather with lots of exposed rocks and roots- most of which cannot be seen until you hit them.
    I took thebike out again last night in the company of several other 5-7" travel trail/enduro bikes and was the only one with repeated pedal strike issues.

Shock sag is set at just 10% (which is plenty hard enough and the trade off is harshness and a loss of traction) fully kitted up and in most of the sections i was using the lock out on the fork to prevent further diving. On the smoother, more open sections I must admit this bike absolutely flies and really impresses, but that is a rare pleasure indeed. Maybe a rune with the higher BB would have been better for me?

Thanks again for your input guys.

Si
    If you are running so low sag on rear and lockout on front in technical stuff, have pedal strikes, sounds like your fork is too short for your intended terrain.

X-fusion have new 36 stanchion forks coming up which you can set anywhere between 130-170mm.

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    I like the look of the x fusion forks and they are good value. Problem is there is one small distributor in the UK and therefore no one over here has tried them out. Are they reliable? Do they work? There has been nothing in the UK mags- no product tests, nada.

Si

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Had X-Fusion to as spare shock to replace a monarch that kept blowing up, no issues, also few riding buddies have Bionicons which run on X-Fusion double crowns and shocks, no issues there either.

I had a look at their 2012 range on Eurobike and they looked solid, i wouldn't hesitate to get one personally if i'd need new fork right now.

Spin-stabilized
    I like the look of the x fusion forks and they are good value. Problem is there is one small distributor in the UK and therefore no one over here has tried them out. Are they reliable? Do they work? There has been nothing in the UK mags- no product tests, nada.

Si
    I have a Velvet and a Vengeance. I weigh about 70 kgs and the factory tune on those forks is perfect. I just set sag and I'm good to go. I love the plush feel and at my weight, they feel very controlled. Best bang for the buck suspension out there, for now. Prices are bound to go up once people figure out how good they are.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?