mtbr member

Spitfire new frame loose pivots?

My new spitfire frame is about 3 rides old. There is small small loose when I pick up the saddle and wiggle the back end a bit. Checked all the pivots and bolts everything is tight.

It's driving me nuts, for gods sakes its a brand new frame.

Could it be the shock hardware? The rocker side hardware seems a bit loose fitting around the shocks bushing (RP23) when it's not cinched down. Once the bold is tight it doesn't seem to be moving. But it's such a subtle loose that it could something being just a tiny bit off.

Any help appreciated! Thanks,

Great bike btw

mtbr member
    Small amount of play is normal. If you need to have a rock solid bike when you lift on the seat then get a hardtail. Do NOT overtighten the pivot bolts! In fact the more you tighten, the more play you'll get from worn bushings because you aren't allowing them to rotate properly and they're binding causing premature wear. I have mine just barely tight with blue loctite on threads to hold in place. And yeah, shock hardware can cause that too but a little bit is nothing to worry about.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-09-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There shouldn't be any obvious play in the rear. Mine develops the same play when you lift the seat up quite quickly and it's the axles wearing, takes about 100 miles of riding to create the play then another 100 and the axles and bushes need to be replaced.

Given the issues with wear that I've had, I would have your axles out to check and at least regrease them to make sure they're ok.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Welcome to life as a Spitfire owner -- you could be dealing with the pivots all of the time. Or not, depending on something nobody from Banshee can really put a finger on... I had a Spitfire in late 2010 - early 2011 for review purposes and it lasted less than three months, despite being on top of maintenance and not thrashing the bike. Without getting into details, both Banshee's and Trident's responses were poor.

The torque specs say "finger tight less a 1/4 turn" so maybe see if your pivot bolts were installed correctly at the factory? Then you should use LocTite to hold your pivot bolts in place. Good luck, you'll likely need it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for answer guys.

I think I tracked the problem down. The RP23 I stuck on the frame was 2nd hand, and, although it works perfect, one of the DU bushing is toasted, thus creating the said loose. So I'll swap those for some new ones and I'm sure the issue will be solved.

It could't possibly be the actual pivots, the frame is brand new from last week with about 3 rides on it!

GMAn thanks for the tips on the pivots. I overtightened them while looking for a loose pivot.

@Robot: was well aware of the potential pitfalls when buying the frame, but I'm on first terms basis with the guys @ Trident so if anything weird happens I know I'll be taken care of proper. Not that it excuses all those pivot/bushing issues!

mtbr member
    Replace the reducers along with the DU bushings; reducer wear is what causes what you describe. Also, for the rear bushing, I would replace with RWC's roller bearing instead of DU bushing as that's where most of the rotation occurs and you won't be replacing nearly as often (not to mention they are much smoother): RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS
    Couldn't be happier with mine!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    So I got new DU bushings, didn't solve the issues. The play comes from the lower link, from the pivot with the 6mm bolt (upper one). That's completely insane! I can feel the play if I put my fingers on it.

I repeat, the frame is brand new from last Wednesday, 4 rides old! I ghetto fixed it by putting a washer agaisnt the bolt that tightens the pivot, thus cinching the pivot hard enough so the plays stops. I'm sure it's bad and a highway to disaster but can't tolerate play on a brand new frame!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    So I got new DU bushings, didn't solve the issues. The play comes from the lower link, from the pivot with the 6mm bolt (upper one). That's completely insane! I can feel the play if I put my fingers on it.

I repeat, the frame is brand new from last Wednesday, 4 rides old! I ghetto fixed it by putting a washer agaisnt the bolt that tightens the pivot, thus cinching the pivot hard enough so the plays stops. I'm sure it's bad and a highway to disaster but can't tolerate play on a brand new frame!!
    Get in touch with Banshee. There should be no play at all on a brand new frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sounds familiar. Could the bolt be too long so that you "bottom out" on the bolt when tightening? If so; filing off a fraction of the length might help..? No, it shouldn't be necessary, but it might work as temporary fix if bolt length is relevant..

I assume you would get the feeling of an "abrupt stop" when tightening if bottoming on the bolt. You should likely be able to identify the issue by removing the bolt leaving the axle. Does it flush so that it can't be tightened?

Might very well be wrong, just guessing like everyone else..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidity View Post
    Sounds familiar. Could the bolt be too long so that you "bottom out" on the bolt when tightening? If so; filing off a fraction of the length might help..? No, it shouldn't be necessary, but it might work as temporary fix if bolt length is relevant..

I assume you would get the feeling of an "abrupt stop" when tightening if bottoming on the bolt. You should likely be able to identify the issue by removing the bolt leaving the axle. Does it flush so that it can't be tightened?

Might very well be wrong, just guessing like everyone else..
    Yes that seems to be exactly the issue . The axle seems very much to be flush with the linkage. And that's probably why, as you described, the bolt just abruptly stopped and didn't have any room for "adjustement".

Will also contact the boys @ banshee to inquire about this

Did you run into similar issues?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Yes that seems to be exactly the issue . The axle seems very much to be flush with the linkage. And that's probably why, as you described, the bolt just abruptly stopped and didn't have any room for "adjustement".

Will also contact the boys @ banshee to inquire about this

Did you run into similar issues?

Thanks!!
    You are welcome. And, yes, I did run into the same issue.