mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Spitfire M/L Test Ride in Utah?

Looking hard at a Spitfire to build up over the winter but I'm right in that no man's land of 5'11" and can't decide whether to go medium or large.
    Hoping someone in or around Salt Lake City might have one of those sizes for me to hop on and ride around a parking lot to figure out which direction to go. Or, if someone knows of a dealer around here I'm missing, that'd be awesome too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i'm at 5'10.5" 31" inseam. Had troubles myself trying to decide between medium or large. Thought I would be a great fit for a large with a 50mm stem. Wrote to keith and he recommended the medium for me. Still thought I would want a large, but took the plunge and went with a medium. Running a 70mm stem which seems to be a great fit for that bike with a 25 degree rise (really brings the handlebars up in relation to the seat). I could even go to a 50 mm stem. I think a shorter cockpit on the spitfire is great for climbing. the steep seat angle is great for pedaling and pulls in the bars closer to the rider for a more functional climbing position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing with regard to a large w/ a 50mm stem. I also have about a 31" inseam, but have pretty long arms. Naturally, the ETT on my bikes now is 23.5 (right in between the M and L) w/ a 100mm stem, but they're both 29ers.
    I had a large Titus Motolite that always felt too big, but I attributed some of that to a high BB and not a ton of standover and since the Spitfire is low, figured I might be able to get away with a large and have a little more cockpit. Just don't want to feel like I need a 120mm stem on a medium.
    Are you running a 150mm up front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    a 150 mm revelation up front which I can dial 130-150mm. Any travel seems to work for that bike. The longer 150mm travel on the fork does not affect the climbing in anyway as far as I can tell. I should have just bought a fixed 130,140, or 150mm and saved some money. The spitfire has a pretty long wheel base and long chainstays which help it stay stable while climbing and descending. Downside is it doesn't manual that well. It tends to stay glued to the ground and really loves to carve turns.
    The longer wheelbase and chainstays in a medium nay even be comparable to your 29er. check it out. And for some reason in considering a large or medium I was always looking at the angles, i.e. STA and HTA. I thought the steep STA and slack HTA would make for a tight cock pit. For some reason it doesn't. You may have to compare the "reach" of the spitfire to your current bikes. I think whatever size you go with the right stem and handlebar rise can really make a bike come alive. Just keep in mind the Large size may have a considerable wheelbase and reach so you may wanna look at those numbers, too.
    I suppose it would be best to be able to try one. I think there was an SLC rider from here who had a few banshees even a spitfire. I believe his handle was actually SLCrider. Maybe he can help you out. Are you out there SLCrider?

biking is fun
    I personally like to go with a shorter stem on longer bike. I am 6' even with long arms and the large with a 50mm stem felt perfect for me. If you are used to running a long stem though (100mm ) then maybe the medium with a 70mm and wide bars would work for you. Since you have long arms like me and are only an inch shorter I would say go with the large and a 40-50mm stem.

I am from salt lake but sadly sold my spitfire last year. My wife has one but its a small so I can't really help you out there. Really it comes down to how you like your bikes to feel. short and more agile or long and more stable. I don't think either would be crazy uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah the 50mm stem on a large just seems like the better fit to match up with my current reach setup, rather than a medium with a longer stem. The wheelbase/TT length difference is only an inch between the bikes so it does seem like L is the way to go. That said, my baseline is much more XC-oriented (and w/ 100mm stems, apparently 1996-oriented) so I don't want to defeat the entire purpose of more of a trail bike to begin with.
    Hiawatha, I'd seen some posts in the Banshee forum from SLCrider, but I think a) his bike was an XL and b) he sold it, so not sure I'll have any luck there. Just gonna wait it out and see if anyone in Salt Lake pops up with one I can throw a leg over or pull the trigger if a good deal comes along and live with the consequences!