Just a flesh wound

Spitfire with a Lefty

I have a C'Dale Prophet set up as a 650b. Looking to upgrade to a Spitfire. Can I use my Lefty Max 140 on the Spitfire?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    thought you need a full 1.5" headtube for a lefty. if so you are out of luck as the spitfire is tapered. the real question is even if it was possible, why would you??

Just a flesh wound
    Project 321 makes a tapered adapter for a Lefty. I was thinking more about the length of the fork.

Why use a Lefty? A smooth, stiff, light 140mm travel fork with buttery smooth bearings and no stiction? PBR and Solo Air?

Because it's free for the frame build out, and it looks rad.

mtbr member
    Looks rad. Lol beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The spitfire is a 140mm travel frame so it fits the design

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Spitfire with a Lefty

Wouldn't you want a stronger stiffer fork on a trail bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    wouldn't you want a fork that had readily available parts, didn't require a special hub?

people loved maverick forks too. some people swear by leftys and some swear by maverick. maverick is bankrupt now and the only reason the lefty exists still is because cannondale keeps it around not because of consumer demand some people like to be different and will tell you these forks are head and shoulder above conventional design. if they really were theyd be more prevelant
    Last edited by qbert2000; 01-09-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Just a flesh wound
    wouldn't you want a fork that had readily available parts, didn't require a special hub?

The parts are readily available, but I never need any. Annual rebuild and good to go another 2,000 miles.

I have 2 Lefty Max 140's. One came on my 2005 Prophet. I have no reason to change. They have had the internals replaced with the new air spring and damper system for the 2011 and newer Lefties.

It is rated for trail, though not Freeride or DH.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    cannondale offers hardware to fit lefty's to just about any h/s standard

Cannondale?s Lefty For All Kit Puts A One Legged Fork on Any Bicycle

qbert, dude, piss off

Just a flesh wound
    I think the axle to crown on my Lefty is too short. 508 or 510mm. I recall seeing 545mm as the official length that corresponds to the geometry chart.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    some people like to be different and will tell you these forks are head and shoulder above conventional design. if they really were theyd be more prevelant
    lol Really? The most popular products aren't always the best design and many superior products have gone to the wayside in favor of inferior designs. For example, Betamax was technically superior to VHS in every way. It's really only downside were the playback times of the tapes. VHS didn't win because it was a superior product.

Do you think you were ever going to see a lefty OEM on anything other than a Cannondale? Fox forks aren't the best just because they come OEM on a lot of bikes and they are expensive. Even a 2013 Fox isn't necessarily superior to previous model years. Get real.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    The Lefty is a far better Fork than most might think. The more important Question is: Is 140 mm Forktravel enough to compliment the Spitfire? And if so, is the Lefty´s lower A-to-C Height ok and does´t overly steepen-up the Geometry?

Just a flesh wound
    Exactly!

I checked the A 2 C again and it is actually 520mm. I was measuring to the bottom of the cup, not the head tube.

mtbr member
    cannondale doesn't spec the lefty on their own 27.5" am bike. their pro rider, jerome clementz doesnt use it in the world enduro series. its one advantage is its light weight, which on a spitfire, a relatively heavy am bike seems like a waste. there are a lot of options out there fork wise. he asked would it work, i believe i said it could. wouldn't be my first choice, or second or, third. op is free to do as he wishes

i don't like proprietary systems. there are little aftermarket parts for the lefty. limited hub choices for what advantages? as an example i think industry nine makes great hubs, but i'd only buy their j-spoke style hubs as i dont like being handcuffed when it comes time for replacements. the lefty could be on par with lots of stuff, but it is limited in ways as well. fox makes junk, rock shox makes junk and manitou too as well as them all making some decent stuff so it's not about a specific brand. my posts regarding the lefty were slightly tongue in cheek but i do believe the spitfire is out of the lefty's range as far as bikes go. thats just my opinion

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    cannondale doesn't spec the lefty on their own 27.5" am bike.
    Who cares? Just because something isn't speced doesn't mean it's because its inferior. The lefty just has a short A-C where most forks are long. Just because people want a Fox doesn't mean that it's because it's better. You are bench racing and making assumptions.

Also, no one asked if you like cannondale or the lefty personally. The question was "will it work?" To which the answer is "not as well". Not because the lefty sucks, but because it doesn't fit the geometry as well as other forks might.

Just a flesh wound
    I don't want to stir things up any more than they already are, but I was asking the simple question of "will it work?".

From what I have learned, I think it will compromise the geometry too much. Simple.

That being said, the Lefty has been a stout and consistent companion. It remains quiet, smooth and good. It has handled thousands of miles in New England through all conditions. It is a very good fork. It will be hard to find a worthy replacement.

I was not aware the C'Dale had a 27.5 bike. I wouldn't get one anyway. C'Dale is just a big bike maker with the same factory as the other big bike guys in China.

I appreciate the care that Banshee puts into each bike and the investment in the people that help them make the bikes. That is the kind of company that I will buy my bike from. Now it will probably be a complete build.

As an aside, I have a very strange bike. #1 It is a Prophet with a Lefty. #2 It is set up as a 650b/27.5. #3 It has Dual Control shifters. #4 I run a short cage RD with a 3 X 9 set-up. But it is 27.5 pounds and the brakes and shifters are all XTR.

Dissolved member
    Hello Prophet Julio,

Can you put some spacers between the lower reducer and the crown race to increase the A-C height? Or, you could use an agleset to slacken the lefty a bit. I loved my Dual Control levers until I wanted to replace the 9sp shifter with a 10sp one...

Just a flesh wound
    Hello StiHacka,

How's that Mojo? I think I'll go with a larger fork for this setup, if I do it. Hard to change..

Still loving my Dual Control. And Lefty!

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Hello StiHacka,

How's that Mojo? I think I'll go with a larger fork for this setup, if I do it. Hard to change..

Still loving my Dual Control. And Lefty!
    Do not give up on the lefty just yet. See if you can get someone make you a custom tall bottom cup for the headset. Make it 15-20mm taller and you should be all set.

Mr. Knowitall
    Interesting project. I really like Lefy, but the 140 travel is too short for my type of riding for the moment. You could use an angleset with EC56 lower cup. I really hope a 160mm Lefty appears sometime in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    As far as I know the Spitfire can take Forks from 140 to 160 mm Travel, so the Lefty is good in this case. Still not sure about the A-to-C Height. With an external lower Cup the Angles will steepen up 1,5 to 2 Deg, even in the slack Setting. With 650Bs the BB would be nicely low - 330, 335 mm I guess. If there´s the Possibility of an Angleset I would definitely go this way. Depending on what and where you mostly ride a slightly slacker HA of around +/- 67 Deg could be a Benefit, even for "not-so-aggressive" Trailrides.

Just a flesh wound
    After seeing some of the new 650b tires coming out, I think a bigger fork is needed. The new 2.4's are tall. The mountain Kings tower over the 2.3 Neo Motos. They would hit my Lefty on full compression. I'd have to reduce the travel, and that's the wrong direction.

But a 160 mm Lefty would be cool.

mtbr member
    Lefty IS REALLY a great fork. Its lateral stiffness is unmatched and its roller bearings provide also unmatched smoothness. the only downside (and a great one) is its shoooort A to C length that preclude the use to AM not specifically designed frames.